Ego Boost File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this is a pathetic idea at all. From what I can tell, a lot of writers are on a rollercoaster as far as their self-confidence goes. Sometimes, you're way, way up, and other times, you feel like a pile of dog doo squashed under someone's shoe. I know I feel the latter way more often than not, and so compliments on what I've written is an absolute balm. But who wants to go hunting for compliments? Sometimes, all we need is a little reminder that we're NOT writing complete crap, and I think an ego-boost file like that would do that very well.

I started hunting up some nice things people have said about my writing, and just the act of reading them again before I pasted them into a new document was really, really nice.

Thanks so much for sharing this...it never occurred to me to try something like it, and I think it'll be great. :)

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
K, so it seems only you have the ability to bring me out of AW retirement.

A few things for your ego file, Ms. Ledbetter.

As a writer, you're brilliant. You have the ability to make the mundane, everyday situations we face in life seem extraordinary. And tight, snappy prose unlike anything I've ever read. Your dialogue? Fuhgeddaboudit! I'm somewhat of an emotional leper. Yet your writing made me laugh at times, and angry with poor character decisions at others. And yes, you managed to tug at my tear ducts as well. I think I've cried twice in ten years; you're responsible for one of those times.

Bitch.

Fuck 'em. On to the next lucky bastard who might get the honor of representing you.

Lyx

What Lyx said, baby. :D

(Well, except for the "bitch" part...)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Lyx said, baby. :D

(Well, except for the "bitch" part...)
This means a lot coming from people who've read my book. I thank you both.

Lyx's post is the first entry in my Blue Monday file.

ETA - And thanks so much to everyone for your kind words and cyberhugs. I know rejection is part of the deal, but it still sucks. It's great to know others understand.

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I do have my own confidence boosters. On down moments like when I can't compose a freakin query letter :rant: then I call my family.

Then after I'm done talking to them (my sister's in query hell too) I look at my invoices and remind myself I have been paid for my work and more than once and I'm okay again.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a great idea. It's kind of like something I was told to do at work - keep track of the compliments you get to help when you go to write up your performance review each year. It helps and gives you a boost when you need it! If I could get myself back into writing that is...

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Something for tt42 to add to her file:
I read Lori's blog and feel like a loser, cuz she is so good.

I thought I would rock the blog, but every post I write sounds like it was written by someone else. Someone I don't know. Someone who doesn't write very well. :rant:

yeah. I need to do this.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Adzmodeus
Rubbish, you write well and have a fun delivery. :)

**scampers and cavorts**

my evil plan worked, I was fishing for compliments. If I may steal a phrase from sparklepeaches: My day is NOT rocking the fat one. mwahahahahaha

I am sorry I used you for my evil plan Adam. That is the problem with evil plans, you never know who will get swept up in them. I hope we have all learned something this day...

(but still, the blog entries are not what I saw myself delivering. perhaps if I didn't write them at 1 in the morning...)

Originally Posted by scarletpeaches (sparklepeaches)
My blog is moar gooderer.

and yes, your blog is sooper gud too, I didn't mean to leave you out.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
**scampers and cavorts**

my evil plan worked, I was fishing for compliments. If I may steal a phrase from sparklepeaches: My day is NOT rocking the fat one. mwahahahahaha

I am sorry I used you for my evil plan Adam. That is the problem with evil plans, you never know who will get swept up in them. I hope we have all learned something this day...

You may use me however you wish, Bettie. :)

Reaction score
Also, Adam was the first one to rock the fat one. I merely stealified one of his catchphrases.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Adam was the first one to rock the fat one. I merely stealified one of his catchphrases.

*Non-gropey hug for the credit.*

Although I stole it from somewhere...

Garpy

keyboard monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scarrow.dsnet.co.uk
I have an email folder of fan mail that I occasionally go bathing in when I need a pick-me-up. (more of a foot bath than a hot tub)

It also doubles up as a spam-mail list when I'm gearing up to promote the next book.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I guess I need more people to read my stuff in order to get any feedback (good or bad). I think I am scared though... hmm...

Scarlet's blog's profiley thing at the upper left is exactly what I am going through. I finished my baby (Stone and Glass) and am working on a newer WIP, The Duchess' Ring whilst editing said baby. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.