100 Months (is all we have left)

Reaction score
100 months would be 8 years 4 months, or 12/31/2016 if my brain's working right. If the peak oil theory is correct, we'll be out of cheap oil long before that, which should solve the CO2 emissions problem. Guess we'll be ok, then. :D

The peak oil theory is incorrect.

We will have cheap oil for wayyyyyyyy longer than that.

Plenty of oil left.

Drill baby drill!!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Plot Device said:
This one web site might be the "money shot," Mel, it lists over 200 failed end-of-world predictions (these are all religiously-based predictions by Christians and other religious groups) in all of recorded Christian history:
http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm

I'm surprised that one left out the prophesy of Jesus himself...

King James Version said:
29Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

That generation was some time ago...

(reference here: http://bible.oremus.org/)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Drat. And I was looking forward to Sarah Palin's second term and the Rio Olympics MMA matches. Oh well, down the hatch, planet Earth, we've had a good run.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am with Pickens:

Boone Pickens made his millions by greenmailing companies to force them to lay off workers to avoid his takeover manipulations. He's a complete toad. Anything he says is to be parsed through that personal history. And, yeah, that's an ad hominem. So to make this comment complete, I'll say I trust Pickens as far as I trust Adolf Hitler and Sarah Palin.

That oughtta do it.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I love how these things always work out to nice round numbers. 100 months. Not 97.5 months. Not 101.2 months. 100 months, exactly.

I know, right?

Works out almost as nicely as how the world was going to end on 6/6/06.

I'm sure the world is going to end eventually, but I think the odds of a single catastrophic event ending the world in the nearish future are pretty slim. And I think it's more likely that the "end of the world" will be a gradual thing. And by that time, who knows? Maybe we'll be in space by then.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I know, right?

Works out almost as nicely as how the world was going to end on 6/6/06.

I'm sure the world is going to end eventually, but I think the odds of a single catastrophic event ending the world in the nearish future are pretty slim. And I think it's more likely that the "end of the world" will be a gradual thing. And by that time, who knows? Maybe we'll be in space by then.

The only thing that could almost instantly destroy the world (or at least much of the surface and most life, if not all) is a meteor strike. Which is very possible. Though other than that, you're right. The world definitely won't end any time in the foreseeable future.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I am with Pickens:
Boone Pickens made his millions by greenmailing companies to force them to lay off workers to avoid his takeover manipulations. He's a complete toad. Anything he says is to be parsed through that personal history. And, yeah, that's an ad hominem. So to make this comment complete, I'll say I trust Pickens as far as I trust Adolf Hitler and Sarah Palin.

That oughtta do it.

Thanks so much for editing my entire quote down to just 4 words and then misrepresenting them out of their original context. :) :Thumbs: :Clap:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that could almost instantly destroy the world (or at least much of the surface and most life, if not all) is a meteor strike.

Meteors are just lovely pebbles. An asteroid, on the other hand...

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Also, my brother (who is in the physics field) told me they recently came up with a catalyst that makes splitting hydrogen and oxygen in water cheapter, electicity wise. My brother outlined this simple system:

Solar cell on the roof pipes electricity down to a tank of water in the basement, which is split into hydrogen. Use the hydrogen to run a fuel cell. Tada! And it doesn't even need to be repaired all that often if you make it solid state.
Well, that gives you solar energy at a lower efficiency than just using the current from the roof directly. The advantage is that you can portably store the energy in the form of hydrogen.

But, point taken, there are lots of things we can do. Our elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide is going to be around for a while -- would be even if all human activities stopped tomorrow. We've already changed the climate, and we have to live with it. If the "hundred months" website is talking about a runaway Venus-style greenhouse effect, I don't think that's likely. Things will likely suck for the next several generations, though. (High ocean, new wars fought over resources, plagues, famines, mass extinctions; that sort of thing. Our biggest problem, overpopulation, will probably be solved by vast numbers of people dying young.)

If memory serves correctly, A major volcanic eruption dwarfs all human emitted CO2 and greenhouse gases.
Well, not so much (though I imagine that would have been true before the Industrial Revolution). There's no record of CO2 spikes corresponding to historic eruptions; and normal volcanic activity produces less than 1% as much atmospheric carbon dioxide as human activity does.

DancingMaenid said:
For an entertaining overview of things that could kill us all, I recommend Phil Plait's book Death From the Skies!by Phil Plait, the Bad Astronomer. (Bad Astronomy.)

Agreed, that's one of the reasons we should be a space-faring people.

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
You're ALL wrong. HERE is the definitive expiration date for mankind, especially you unsaved heathens. :D

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
But think of this : some day those predicting "the end is near" will be right.

And we'll all be surprised .

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
They're actually TRYING to make the planet warmer because then the environment will be more to their liking then.

Aaaah, I see!

You got your sunglasses too!

they_live_3.jpg

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
You're ALL wrong. HERE is the definitive expiration date for mankind, especially you unsaved heathens. :D

Ok, I'm not big on biblical stuff but I do know my basic math. So...if, as stated in 2Peter-3, 1 day is 1000 years then how can 150 days fit in between May of 2011 and October of 2011? Or was math/time/measurement invented in some future? Or is this where government accounting first took place?

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A *bump* for this thread because we are now at 68 months.

And ... and answer to billy (whose question I missed last time around) ...

When are we supposedly going to be running out of cheap oil and what do you predict a gallon of gas will cost?

How much does it cost in your neck of the woods right about now?

-- We hit peak oil back around 2005/2006.
-- We started to feel/see/sense it by 2008.
-- We are now on the "bumpy plateau" of price volatility.
-- I have some general predictions for gasoline prices here in the USA. I thnk it will shoot up to $5.00 this summer, then drop down to $3.50-ish by February 2012. Then up again to $4.50 by September 2012, and possibly even shoot right up to $6.00 by summer 2013. Then back down again to $4.00 by winter 2014. It will just keep jerking up and down constantly.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
I like how you waited four months, until prices started rising, to answer the prediction question. The answer also echoes pretty much every talking point from "analysts" I've heard over the last month. Really going out on a limb there, PD.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
A *bump* for this thread because we are now at 68 months.

And ... and answer to billy (whose question I missed last time around) ...

How much does it cost in your neck of the woods right about now?

-- We hit peak oil back around 2005/2006.
-- We started to feel/see/sense it by 2008.
-- We are now on the "bumpy plateau" of price volatility.
-- I have some general predictions for gasoline prices here in the USA. I thnk it will shoot up to $5.00 this summer, then drop down to $3.50-ish by February 2012. Then up again to $4.50 by September 2012, and possibly even shoot right up to $6.00 by summer 2013. Then back down again to $4.00 by winter 2014. It will just keep jerking up and down constantly.

Heh, I never realized that large parts of Europe were already living in post-apocalyptic times, because here a litre of petrol cost $2.30. The US gallon is 3.7 litres, approximately. Which means that we pay $8.51 per gallon.

I don't really sympathise with the idea that the world is ending if you have to pay $3-5. :D

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like how you waited four months, until prices started rising, to answer the prediction question. The answer also echoes pretty much every talking point from "analysts" I've heard over the last month. Really going out on a limb there, PD.

I like how you ignore my statement that I missed Billy's post back in December. (I came here today to bump the thread because it'd been a while since I even looked at the countdown clock on that web site, and only then did I see Billy's post. Call me late for dinner, but please don't call me a fairfoul-weather poster.)

As for TV analyst talking ponts, I ignore most of the talklng points of those ass-clown commentator/anaysts. I assure you I do not parrot talk-news nonsense. (So please don't call me a parrot either.)

I'm not going out in a limb, but I suspect you're grinding an axe.