What blogging software do you use?

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my new blog. It's done using Wordpress. Unfortunately, the subpages aren't working properly. Unless I use firefox, I can't read my subpages, like my drabble and my commentaries.

Does anyone use that software and know how to fix it or do you know of some other blogging software that I could upload and use? Thanks so much for any help.

Eric

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
I avoid any blogging provider that would require anything more advanced than notepad.

Other Wordpress people might be more help. Me? My solution would be to join blogger.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Blogger, baby! Woot!

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
blogger is extremely easy to use and has custom domains

the downside is that you don't get trackbacks or automated future dated posts. plus there are some cool add-ins that can be integrated with wordpress that aren't yet available in blogger.

Jessi

Registered
Reaction score
blogger is extremely easy to use and has custom domains

the downside is that you don't get trackbacks or automated future dated posts. plus there are some cool add-ins that can be integrated with wordpress that aren't yet available in blogger.

That part is the only thing that really bugs me about Blogger, unfortunately. :rant:

Otherwise, have you used Wordpress before or are you a first time blogger?

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
First time blogger and I used WordPress only because my provider offered it pre-installed. But I'm not adverse to simply downloading something else and uploading it to my site. I suppose if I'd really wanted to do something simple I could have just gotten a freebie blog, but I wanted something without advertising or with my own ads, where I'd make money (however little it might be) from them.

I'll google Blogger. Thanks for the info folks.

Eric

Deleted member 42

I'd try Blogger, were I you, and set up the Publishing settings to FTP to your own domain. Make sure to set up a directory for the Blogger posts, first.

Deleted member 42

"Make sure to set up a directory for your Blogger posts first".

Aha! What does that mean? I am a new user of Blogger.

Not to worry; you're posting to blogspot, not to your own domain.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
It could also be your Wordpress template. Some templates make it more difficult to read sub-pages, so you might try using another one. I can't tell if that's the problem, though, from what you've mentioned here-- just wanted to add that and see if it might help.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Yeah, I agree with Temlyn when she says it's the template rather than the software. Some templates have been designed by designers using Firefox and maybe haven't checked the compatibility with Internet Explorer.

I'd advice you to change templates rather than move to blogger. I find wordpress so good, smooth and far more customizable than blogger.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
I use my own custom-coded blogging software (which is available for download under the GPL). It's by no means as advanced as WordPress or the other popular softwares, but it serves my purposes.

When I first started blogging, no one told me that WordPress existed--if they had, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of coding my own blog, since it's a lot of work (and still is...). :D

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I tried blogger, but had trouble making it work. I finally upgraded to the latest version of wordpress and it seems to be going OK now. I'm still not thrilled with how wordpress works. In essence, in order to do it blog like, I'm doing more work on my own. The trouble is that Wordpress (and I gather most blogging software) is designed to allow you to have a "blog" on the main page and some static subpages. I wanted the other way around. I want a static main page and a few "blogs" on subpages, so I'm kind of doing it manually.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Eric

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I managed to make a static page work with wordpress. I'm sure there's some information in the codex on it.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Eric

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't do what I need. It allows you to make an alternate page your blog, which is good, but I need more than one "blog." I need three of them. The only solution I can think of is three separate installations of WP, but then I have a problem with the stuff along the side. I haven't quite figured out how to hack the front page and put links there under the pages section (I know I can put it under links, but I want it to be under "pages" or sections. Also, I'd have a problem since the other "blogs" wouldn't have those links either, unless I manually set it all up.

Not to mention that plugin doesn't work with 2.0 and the 1.5 version didn't seem to work properly with IE (or maybe it was just the theme I used -- either way, I don't want to go to the trouble to downgrade if it won't really do what I want anyway).

Really and truthfully, if I wanted to do the work on it, what I ought to do is set up three separate blogs and then set up a static front page with tables and links to the three blogs, but I didn't want to do that much work just yet. . .

Thanks for the thought though.

Eric

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it just isn't a 'bloggy' thing to do. Have you considered going with a web provider instead and just supplimenting it with a blog provider for the one blog page?

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I think it just isn't a 'bloggy' thing to do. Have you considered going with a web provider instead and just supplimenting it with a blog provider for the one blog page?

I do have a web provider. My blog is independently hosted. To be honest, when I started out, I originally thought I'd have to just design the whole thing in Frontpage, like I did my photography site. But I wanted the simplicity of something that was drag and drop, especially since I now use Linux and I wasn't sure if I could get Frontpage to work properly on Linux. Anyway, I'm using a work around right now where each "post" is an independent static page and I just link to them from the main static page for that part of the blog. . .

Thanks for all your efforts at trying to help though.

Eric

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few blogs, all through Wordpress, after I downloaded the free program onto my domains. On some, the blog is the homepage you find with the domain name, but on others, it is located in domainname.com/blog . I learned how to do this without a plugin, by installing it this way through cpanel access and my hosting company (just so anyone reading knows it is possible).

For having three blogs on one website, I think you are right, you would need three downloads (?), but you could try doing this onto three different subdomains for organizing and saving files separately. For example, blog1.domainname.com, blog2.domainname.com, etc.

Sounds like you already have a workaround, although it seems cumbersome for long term linking (what happens when you have 100 posts for each blog?). I like how the blogs easily organize my archives with the cleanarchives plugin. Google seems to love wordpress for some reason, as I get great natural search results from them.

Just some ideas, best of luck.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I realized last night that what i suggested was basic information, and if you already know how to configure static pages, something I had trouble with, you of course already knew the information I wrote, so it probably wasn't very helpful. Hopefully it could help someone else, though :)

Your site looks great, btw! I like your header.

Deleted member 42

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't do what I need. It allows you to make an alternate page your blog, which is good, but I need more than one "blog." I need three of them. The only solution I can think of is three separate installations of WP, but then I have a problem with the stuff along the side.

Yes; you'd need an install of WordPress for each blog.

I think VeinGlory's on to something, that you're trying to use a blogging system when perhaps static pages make more sense.

TextPattern and MovableType will easily allow you to configure multiple blogs with a single install and a single database.

Frontpage is evil, and no, it's not going to work under Linux. Use a texteditor to create your static pages, or a free html editor like Nvu which works just fine under Linux.