Hoofing it: Bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
I recently had a book release, but it is only in eBook format. This makes a lot of the old hoofing it methods harder to do, because I don't have a hard copy to show. For the last few months I've been trying to figure out how I can get the word spread offline as well as online. Finally, I just fell into a bookmark idea for now.

I ordered a small pile of bookmarks that advertise my book. As they just come in today I haven't gotten around the towns with them yet. I am planning on asking at the public libraries if I can place a few for people to take as a free place keeper. I was also thinking of hitting the bookstores.

My question is this: Has anyone else tried the bookmark method?

Side note, I've also thought about the "rack cards" you can find at places like Vistaprint. There is a Barns and Noble in the next county over and sense my book will be available for the Nook once distribution is finished I thought about seeing if I could place a few rack cards with the book blurb and cover in the store.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I recently had a book release, but it is only in eBook format. This makes a lot of the old hoofing it methods harder to do, because I don't have a hard copy to show. For the last few months I've been trying to figure out how I can get the word spread offline as well as online. Finally, I just fell into a bookmark idea for now.

I ordered a small pile of bookmarks that advertise my book. As they just come in today I haven't gotten around the towns with them yet. I am planning on asking at the public libraries if I can place a few for people to take as a free place keeper. I was also thinking of hitting the bookstores.

My question is this: Has anyone else tried the bookmark method?

Lots of people have used bookmarks to promote their books, but results have been variable.

If you don't have a print edition to sell, bookshops and libraries are unlikely to be able to help you because they won't have the book to sell or lend to anyone who sees your bookshop and asks for it.

Side note, I've also thought about the "rack cards" you can find at places like Vistaprint. There is a Barns and Noble in the next county over and sense my book will be available for the Nook once distribution is finished I thought about seeing if I could place a few rack cards with the book blurb and cover in the store.

Why would Barnes and Noble help you sell your book when there's nothing in it for them? Bookships are businesses, and have to make money. If they don't have your book for sale, they're very unlikely to let you display your bookmarks in their stores.

You might find this link useful.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I've never bought a book because it's been advertised on a bookmark. Just one man's experience.

On another topic, I would totally buy a ticket for a ride on a bookship!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I had a bunch of postcard-sized things made up. Book cover on one side, blurb on the back - essentially what anyone would see if they picked up a physical copy of my book, except without the inside! I haven't tried leaving them at businesses or anything... I think they're more effective for person-to-person contact. I keep them in my purse, and when it comes up that I have a book out, usually the other person will be interested - so I just pull out a card and hand it to them. It's a good intro to the book and also something physical to remind them later if they want to look it up or buy it.

I gave piles of postcards to enthusiastic friends and family as well, so that they could do the same thing. For instance, my mom keeps a bunch on her desk at work because she's always chatting me up with her patients.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I use bookmarks, but not for one specific book. It's really to lead people to my website (where there are very convenient links to all online retailers for all my books).

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
I use bookmarks, but not for one specific book. It's really to lead people to my website (where there are very convenient links to all online retailers for all my books).

That's a good suggestion, Merrihiatt. I never even thought to have bookmarks advertising a blog or website to get readers to take a glance at all your titles. I always thought it would be for one particular book.

Your method would definitely save money.

weibart

Registered
Reaction score
Great suggestion! I haven't tried the bookmark method myself but I plan on printing them for when I publish my ebook. I'm animating a book trailer for it, so I plan on including a QR Code on the bookmark emphasizing a "call to action" to view the trailer, and include some brief copy, website link, etc. embedded in the QR Code as well. I love QR codes because they're easy to create and they fit nicely on a bookmark.

I like the bookmark method because the bookmark itself is useful, it's easy to carry with you for when you need to hand them out, and I think it's a good "business card" for your book. If you form a good connection and have a pleasant introduction with the person you offer the bookmark to, the bookmark offers a good chance for that person to follow up on your "pitch" to learn more about your book.

Last edited:

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
JoNightshade- That's what I was thinking with the "rack cards." I see similar cards on coffee tables at different book stores too. I also know a few book clubs are willing to take a glace at books to see if the club wants to read it. A "rack card" copy of the book might be good for introducing a book while deciding on whether to read it or not.

merrihiatt- That would save money and makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the idea!

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought ... even if you want to promote several books at once, you still need to have a good hook on the card to reel readers in - excellent descriptions and covers. You've got to make me:

1. Pick the card up - eye-catching design
2. Read the text - solid descriptions and meaningful blurbs
3. Motivate me to check for the book on the shelf - the end goal

If you're just sending people to your website, that doesn't help the bookstore much. Seems like you need to give them something (promoting books that are for sale on their shelves) in exchange for them giving you valuable table space.

Also, the term rack card typically means a 4x9 glossy card on display in hotel/visitor center literature racks. The only book promo cards I've seen in bookstores are postcard or bookmark size. Is that what you're talking about?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I've had limited success with bookmarks. I used to make one for every book, then for multi-book series. The problem I have with them is they get dated really quickly, so you wind up with a pile that don't speak to your new book. I've had more than one reader approach me at cons to ask if I have any for UPCOMING books. It seems like that's the most common use---to find a book coming out later. I had no luck at all with placing them in stores. Maybe one or two would be gone over weeks, and then the bookstore would replace them with someone else's. Counter space is valuable property, and you won't be the only local author asking for space.

I have heard some e-book authors having success with oversized postcards (4x6) that serve as book covers for signing events. As said above, QR codes seem to be popular ways to get reader interest up. A code that leads to a chapter the reader can look at while they're still nearby (but not right there with you staring) is useful, along with freebie giveaways or contests. Anything "extra" really.

It's my plan for my next series promo. :)

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
If you're just sending people to your website, that doesn't help the bookstore much. Seems like you need to give them something (promoting books that are for sale on their shelves) in exchange for them giving you valuable table space.

I have my website noted and my book covers. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

JBClemmens

Patient Seahorse
Registered
Reaction score
I used Next Day Flyer for bookmarks with a glossy side for one book and a gray side (you can write on) for another book. I gave some away at a neighborhood garage sale with the link and code for my free book written on them. It might have been a waste of money, but I wanted them at the time because everyone gave out bookmarks at a book festival I attended.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
What service do you guys use for the book marks? Do you design them yourselves using an online service?

I've done several versions that I created myself using a color printer and white card stock, white glossy coated paper (on one side, similar to photo paper), laminated (I have a laminator that I use to make poetry bookmarks, too). I like being able to change things whenever I want.

weibart

Registered
Reaction score
What service do you guys use for the book marks? Do you design them yourselves using an online service?
I'm considering I'll go with bookmarks through OvernightPrints.com.

For example, roughly $25 gets me 500 bookmarks. I'm considering going with single sided bookmarks so I could do a sketch on the other side of the bookmark as a thank you. The price and quantity they give is great for me, as 500 of these should last me a good while and be well worth the price.

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
I gave OvernightPrints a try. I only ordered 50 to start with. I had an idea that finding a place for them would be tricky. They did really well with the printing and the bookmarks arrived on time, even if in an excessively large box.

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
We use book marks on the free stuff table at conventions. Depending on the convention we see a spike after the event. I see the bookmarks useful in the hundreds, but not in the thousands.

Regards,
Kevin

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I've used them and not had too bad an experience with them.

One rule a friend of mine often quotes (he runs national sized professional LARP events that are very popular so I sort of trust his instincts in this even though a different business area) is 'always make it easy for anyone to give you money'. With that in mind I looked at how to best use the bookmarks/leaflets/postcards/business cards thing more effectively...

The issue I noticed was that while my webpage (http://www.dalascelles.co.uk/) is relatively easy to print on a piece of card with a picture that only leads to a page talking about me. They have to click another link (my books) to get a list of other links that take them to Amazon or the publisher's website where they can actually 'give me money in exchange for my book'. That to me sounded like far too much hassle and is far too many steps during which many might just give up.

However, the direct links are all far too long to look neat on a bookmark...

So, I researched the QR tag concept and found that you can in fact create these for free and link them to any webpage link directly. Anyone with a mobile phone and the right app installed can scan the QR tag with their phone camera and be taken to the website. From there they can arrange to have the ebook delivered to their phone directly, or to an ebook reader or whatever. And, of course, give me money in the process :)

Worth looking into anyway. Though be careful of making the tag too small - I ordered some business card sized versions of my postcard design and found the QR tag was not big enough to scan.

I usually put the cover on the front of the card with my name and webpage address (and the address of the publisher) and sometimes email address and QR tag if there is room. On the back I have either the blurb or an extract and sometimes a review quote if I have one and sometimes the QR tag or more links go there too.

Essentially trying to give as many options as possible for the readers to get hold of my book and, of course, making it as easy as possible for them to give me money...

Status
Not open for further replies.