Hey there from London! (But only for three more weeks...then it's back to Chicago)

PriyankaB

Literary Flibbertigibbet
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is Priyanka, and I'm a 20 year old college junior double majoring in English Literature and International Studies with a minor in marketing. I chose this course of study because it gives me a lot of flexibility in potential job options, but if I'm going to be honest about what I really want to do, there is nothing I would like better than to get paid to sit in a cafe and punch away at the much abused keys of my Dell XPS and bring characters to life.

Lately, though, the confidence I've always had in my writing has dwindled to the point where my creative flow has stopped almost entirely. I haven't actually written anything other than academic papers for the past three years. I've been remedying this somewhat recently, as I joined the Creative Writing section of my college's online magazine, as well as the Entertainment and Life and Style sections. But still, I haven't been entirely satisfied.

The problem is, I'm suffering from a bout of jealousy. My school has a very strong writing program that I can't participate in, because I'm graduating two quarters early and it's a year long program (and obviously because I'm studying abroad in London at the moment, doing it junior year wasn't an option). There are some writing classes available to nonmajors and I plan on taking advantage of those; but at the same time, there's a feeling of deprivation that is consuming me and which, consequently, is also adding to the feeling of depleted creativity. I see so much great work, I'm reading so much great work, and it's damn intimidating.

Long story short, I knew that the time had come for me to escape from the confines of my mind, and once I heard about this place, I thought it would be a good place to come- there are so many people here! Even if I'm not getting the chance to participate in my school's writing program, there's no reason for me not to take advantage of the many online resources that are out there and to meet other authors, and to talk to people that really "get" writer's block and intimidation and the inherent frustration that comes with the knowledge that your narrative has far too many plot holes and your characters are walking contradictions.

I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from all of you! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Traditional Irish Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the cooler.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Priyanka! This is a great place for you to get excited about writing again. Good luck and enjoy! :)

PriyankaB

Literary Flibbertigibbet
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Cactuswendy- I prefer my popcorn to be Kettle Corn, warm, buttery and sweet. =)

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Priyanka. And you'll be back in Chicago just in time for the freezing cold weather. :D

Acedia

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Always wanted to visit London.
A change of pace is always good and though you're missing out on the writing program, graduating early will allow you to temper your skills with experience. So don't think of it as missing out, instead think of it as getting a leg up ^^