Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We should all have peppermint ponies. They we could hook them to carts of candy with licorice traces and go driving through the rolling hills. Once we've eatten our carts we can walk back with our herd of magical ponies.

And try not to eat their chocolate manes on the return trip :evil

Ion, I have received some Good News. Also, I will be earning a fair chunk of change this weekend. Weeeee.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
This is a terrible argument to have to have. Did you feel like you might possibly be in a really bland episode of Punked?

Kind of. It was one of those moments when I couldn't comprehend the fact I was in such an argument. So hard not to be polite. I even kindly explained when you would use hyphens in modifiers and why sometimes you might see those same words without hyphens. Then she said she felt it just "looked clunky" and I forced myself not call her names.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Kind of. It was one of those moments when I couldn't comprehend the fact I was in such an argument. So hard not to be polite. I even kindly explained when you would use hyphens in modifiers and why sometimes you might see those same words without hyphens. Then she said she felt it just "looked clunky" and I forced myself not call her names.
So what you're saying is you couldn't just whack her over the head and say "NO! Go sit in the corner!"

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, this reads a little young to me. 29 or 30 is what I'd go with, if it were my story.
t would be more easily accepted if you went with someone in their late 20s, early 30s. However, if he or she has been working on ships since they were 12 or something, I could see you making the case for it to work. There would need to be something special about them to be able to get that type of position so early, though.
What she said. Plus, if I were wanting a captain that young I'd make him captain under extreme circumstances. Like a lot of the other important crew members were killed or something.
The entire way he ended up being captain anyway was that the ship was originally captained by his older brother before his murder. The character had been serving on board it since he was 19 and had proven repeatedly that he's got the ability to be a good captain. Plus being sharp as a tac and good in a fight doesn't hurt either, so he's a pretty good captain despite occasional lapses in judgement or letting his emotions override his rational side sometimes.

Kids are getting more and more at home with technology. Especially when they are younger. Soon we will have a generation (maybe as soon as thirty or forty years) who are so comfortable with digital interaction that reading on paper will be seen as quaint and old-fashioned. I could totally buy into a twenty year old captain if the world in which the proliferation of technology has progressed is adequately shown.
See, I was never entirely sure on the characters' specific backstory but one option I did come up with is that he was primarily raised on the more technologically advanced of the colonised planets (my setting being one where technology levels are advanced in the 'central worlds' but getting more crude and simple the further out you get from civilisation.

And this would then explain that he's good with machines and computers to the level that handling an old ship like his wouldn't be some kind of massive task. Plus he has other crew members anyway. Engineer, pilot, etc.

ETA: But yeah, I do still think I should age him up a little bit. Besides I can always cheat and just say he looks younger than he is. :D

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Aren't most folks able to, from a standing position next to a basic desk, jump up onto said desktop which is 2ft 4 in off the ground?

We are not all that springy.

Also, didn't you tell me last night that you don't jump when doing burpees (which, then, I would just call that a sprawl)? Is this because of your crazy vertical leap abilities? Are you a superhero? (Or is it rude to ask that?)

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Can I leap on the bandwagon here? Not with regards to breast sizes, since I don't have them myself (although, for the sake of parity, I can tell you I have a 44" chest), but with regards to height and the disadvantages thereof. My comrades' nickname, 'Target', proved to be bang on the money the day I got shot in the head. Which, let me tell you, is even less fun than it sounds. However, as you can tell from the pic on my profile page, I managed to escape without any disfiguring scarring (my ugliness is naturally come by) other than the graze across the top-left side of my scalp, and you can't really notice it anyway. Naturally enough, in the aftermath my nickname was modified. To 'Actual Target'.

Oh, and ladies, all this talk of chests is having clear brain-melting effects on some of the male individuals in the room. I was discussing it with a female friend yesterday, and she said the males had to get revenge. She also suggested how, in a superficially non-sexy way, this might be achieved...

So, gentlemen, are any of you like me, in that you are ridiculously exothermic? You know, you just have to get into a bed or curl up on a sofa and five minutes later it's toasty as anything? :e2brows:

BM

I have been reliably informed that I am basically a human furnace. My female friends tell me this is usually considered a very positive attribute. I have yet to test it out.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I generate cold. Or at least my feet do. I wear socks to bed, not to keep my feet warm, but to keep them from touching other body parts and chilling them.

I have a feeling this will be an issue when I'm older, though it's been that way as long as I can remember.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Aren't most folks able to, from a standing position next to a basic desk, jump up onto said desktop which is 2ft 4 in off the ground?
I've not tried it but that seems like something a lot of people would fail at.

ETA: An on the "body heat" thing, I'm apparently very exothermic, to the point where people often feel the need to use me as some kind of human radiator. I wouldn't mind, but that normally requires them putting their really cold body parts on me, which is unpleasent.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
We are not all that springy.
Oh. So I'm a freak. :D

Also, didn't you tell me last night that you don't jump when doing burpees (which, then, I would just call that a sprawl)? Is this because of your crazy vertical leap abilities? Are you a superhero? (Or is it rude to ask that?)
I don't do the jump because the first time I tried it I thought I was going to punch a hole in our apt. ceiling.

We have 8 foot high ceilings.

Last edited:

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Just told LadyAce about my leaping skill. She wanted to see it. I pointed to our kitchen counter. It's 3ft from the ground.

I did it.

However, as I got on top in a crouch and started to try and catch my balance, I quickly noted the cupboard in front of me. Made the correction to avoid hitting it with my head. Oops. That meant straightening up. And bonked the ceiling with my head.

And I fell off.

And LadyAce was ROFLHAO.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
The entire way he ended up being captain anyway was that the ship was originally captained by his older brother before his murder. The character had been serving on board it since he was 19 and had proven repeatedly that he's got the ability to be a good captain. Plus being sharp as a tac and good in a fight doesn't hurt either, so he's a pretty good captain despite occasional lapses in judgement or letting his emotions override his rational side sometimes.

See, I was never entirely sure on the characters' specific backstory but one option I did come up with is that he was primarily raised on the more technologically advanced of the colonised planets (my setting being one where technology levels are advanced in the 'central worlds' but getting more crude and simple the further out you get from civilisation.

And this would then explain that he's good with machines and computers to the level that handling an old ship like his wouldn't be some kind of massive task. Plus he has other crew members anyway. Engineer, pilot, etc.

ETA: But yeah, I do still think I should age him up a little bit. Besides I can always cheat and just say he looks younger than he is. :D

Yep, that all works for me. :)

Well, I can, but I have to land in a crouch. But I'd say you're special Ace. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for chocolate doughnuts!

That second one kind of hurts my brain.

:Wha:
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I couldn't make it past 40 seconds.

Not sure of your height, but like the others said: smaller opponents can absolutely take down the big guys if they know what they're doing. I train with a couple very big guys (taller than 6', etc.). I'm 5'6" and can drop those guys to the mat in a heartbeat. Yes, I'm trained to do it, but it's all about leverage.
I'm only 5'1, and my FMC is only 5'0. I'm sure it's still possible. It's just hard for me to imagine myself tossing a 6 ft + guy when I'm so weak and scrawny. I could benefit from self-defense lessons.. Mustering up the courage to actually do it is the hard part. Do they even offer beginner's courses for adults? There's no way I'm getting tossed around by a bunch of kids.

ETA: I now have a very cool wallpaper. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. So I'm a freak. :D

I don't do the jump because the first time I tried it I thought I was going to punch a hole in our apt. ceiling.

We have 8 foot high ceilings.
Unless I was part grasshopper or living in a hobbit hole (which look very quaint, BTW) this could never happen.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

The question whether he can handle the technology involved wasn't in my mind at all. That's the sort of thing that a captain could reasonably delegate to an expert. I was more thinking about the leadership involved. I personally would be very leery of following the leadership of a person in his early twenties (the same age range as three of my children), especially in space, or in criminal activities. Those are both fairly dangerous situations, and I'm placing my life, safety, freedom and financial opportunities into the hands of a person who is not old enough to be considered for many much more mundane jobs? Nuh-uh, not unless extraordinary circumstances had proven him VERY capable.

And LadyAce was ROFLHAO.

Yep, I have to agree with LacyAce. That was LOL-able.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
The question whether he can handle the technology involved wasn't in my mind at all. That's the sort of thing that a captain could reasonably delegate to an expert. I was more thinking about the leadership involved. I personally would be very leery of following the leadership of a person in his early twenties (the same age range as three of my children), especially in space, or in criminal activities. Those are both fairly dangerous situations, and I'm placing my life, safety, freedom and financial opportunities into the hands of a person who is not old enough to be considered for many much more mundane jobs? Nuh-uh, not unless extraordinary circumstances had proven him VERY capable.
Extraordinary circumstances is what I was going for, just need to figure out the specifics of what those circumstances are... plus I am going to make him older anyway.

ION: "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you" is now probably one of my favourite lines spoken by any character in anything ever.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
To continue my previous thought:

Granted, considering your extenuating circumstances, I could see that young a person in charge of a ship. But those extenuating circumstances would have to be VERY extreme. And it would be reasonable to address my question: surely your criminal crew is not necessarily going to give a kid (sorry, I can't help it, that's how I keep thinking of him) unswerving loyalty. Show me the conflict, and I'd read it.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
To continue my previous thought:

Granted, considering your extenuating circumstances, I could see that young a person in charge of a ship. But those extenuating circumstances would have to be VERY extreme. And it would be reasonable to address my question: surely your criminal crew is not necessarily going to give a kid (sorry, I can't help it, that's how I keep thinking of him) unswerving loyalty. Show me the conflict, and I'd read it.
I never did say that all of the crew were completely thrilled with the arrangement. That would make the story thoroughly lacking in character conflict and drama, wouldn't it? :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I never did say that all of the crew were completely thrilled with the arrangement. That would make the story thoroughly lacking in character conflict and drama, wouldn't it? :D

Sweet! Yeah, I'd definitely read that!

Have you read the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell? The first couple books of that series addresses a similar question of an unexpected person thrust into the leadership role, and the fallout thereof.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Hello Cantina. I'm enjoying some candle making after a long day of being out in the cold. I was outside this morning trying to jump start my car with a friend for a total of an hour and a half in -5 F (with -30 wind chills). After being unable to get any juice I called the shop I'd gotten my battery from 2 years ago and found out I was 6 days away from the warranty expiring... meaning... I GOT A WHOLE NEW BATTERY FOR FREE! The guy came out 10 minutes after I called and had the new battery in within 10 minutes. No paperwork or questions. I am extremely impressed and thankful.

I'm making jasmine, sandalwood and vanilla candles right now and my apartment smells like a heavenly spa. After this I'll be making honey and beeswax lip balm with peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, lavender and orange essential oils so it's only going to get more fragrant. :D

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! Yeah, I'd definitely read that!

Have you read the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell? The first couple books of that series addresses a similar question of an unexpected person thrust into the leadership role, and the fallout thereof.
I have not, but I shall keep it in mind for something to read when I'm finally finished with all the other stuff I've got on that endless pile.

And this whole story of mine is why a while ago here I asked if it's possible to have too much going on in one story. Right now I have the crew on the run from the law both for past offenses and for harboring prison escapees, one of said escapees on a quest for vengeance over what got him in prison to begin with, the crew taking on a "job" that goes incredibly wrong with your typical outlaw backstabbing, the captain on his own personal quest to prove that he's as good a captain as his older brother was, and on top of all that is the whole "growing potential for mutiny" drama and the growing relationship between the revenge-seeking fugitive and the captain... it feels like I have too much for one story here.

Meh, maybe I'll just write it and see what happens. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.