Games that make you cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
This thread was inspired by the mavies that make men cry thread. Which games bring a tear to your eye (or many tears in some cases)?

While I find a lot of games really sad, the one that really does it for me is Metal Gear Solid 3. Spoilers. How they stop the cutscene at the end of the fight between Naked Snake and The Boss and make you the player actually pull the trigger. Then later you find out that she wasn't a traitor after all and sacrificed everything for her mission. :cry:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember the last game that made me outright blubber. Not sure if any have.
But there a few that have made me sniffle; one is LoZ: TP, the dialog between Midna and Link is made so much more powerful by taking away voices and replacing it all with gestures and the accompanying score.

Legend of Dragoon also hit me pretty hard.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Planescape: Torment comes to mind. It takes a lot of moxie to elicit an emotional reaction when there's a lot of player choice in the storyline, but they managed to pull it off.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Metal Gear Solid 3. Spoilers. How they stop the cutscene at the end of the fight between Naked Snake and The Boss and make you the player actually pull the trigger. Then later you find out that she wasn't a traitor after all and sacrificed everything for her mission. :cry:

That scene was an absolute heartbreaker for me. Metal Gear Solid 4 had me going for a while, too.

Lost Odyssey, a nice little JRPG gem for the 360 that went practically unnoticed, has made me cry several times. The story in a nutshell is you play an immortal who has lived 1000-some years. You get amnesia (cliche central), and one of the sidequests is to discover memories from his past, all of which are in the form of flash fiction/short stories. They always manage to twist a knife in your guts with some form of dramatic irony.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
Let's see...

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia
Metal Gear Solid 3
Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos Origins
Narcissu (click here)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Xenosaga Episode 1

And there probably have been more games. :p I just can't remember them all.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Heavy Rain, had me in all kinds of emotional states.

I know what you mean by this one. Still playing through it. But it says something about my emotional state I was already in when I restarted several "episodes" because I screwed something up and didn't want to see negative consequences.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
The good ending from Bioshock came close :)

Also, Gales death in Rogue Galaxy, Sniper Wolfs death from MGS and Rosie's song from Valkyria Chronicles were all pretty sad moments.

Especially Sniper Wolf's death. That's probebly my favourite videogame moment.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
PST and Homeworld for me.
Both excellent games but too old now for most gamers to bother going back and playing them.

May I ask what PST is?

I imagine it's Phantasy Star something.
No. Already mentioned:

Planescape: Torment comes to mind. It takes a lot of moxie to elicit an emotional reaction when there's a lot of player choice in the storyline, but they managed to pull it off.

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
If you can find the time PST is worth going back for. Didn't make me cry, but the bit where you learn about Morte's past and origin hit me pretty hard. Never had a game make me feel guilty before...

Red Dead Redemption left me a wee bit sniffly.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
No. Already mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion_mk3

Woops! I've heard such good things about Planescape Torment, but haven't had any luck in finding it. I look at thrift shops whenever I go to them (managed to find a copy of Icewind Dale once). But more likely than not I will have to order a used copy online.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, no one has mentioned FF7 so far? Crazy.

*spoilers*

But the ending that really got me was FFX, in the ending where Tidus' spirit hugs Yuna, and she doesn't know he's there.

glendalough

Not so new as all that, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I usually cry from stress! So back in the day it was when you thought you had one more 'life' left in Donkey Kong or Ms Pac Man ...died..and realized, it was all over. :*(

Then it became Crash Bandicoot games. SO CLOSE but so tough to beat, then hand the controller to my kids or dh and DING all done.

Then came World Of Warcraft. Lots of reasons to cry on there. Mostly, someone got the weapon drop (etc) I wanted or I couldn't get into an instance because I wasn't geared right, which is totally subjective.

Ohmygosh, just talking about it made me mad! LOL Glad I got off that drug!!

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I usually cry from stress!

I had a reflective, almost tearful, end-of-battle moment last night in an Operation Arrowhead mod. I was trying to balance a scenario with
the Takistanis versus the Iranians in Chak Chak in Taraskan. To do this you have to take a role on one side and then on the other. Up to that
point the Iranians had done pretty poorly in holding Chak Chak and I wasn't expecting that adding some conscripts with RPGs was going to make much difference. But low and behold there came a moment when the Iranians were almost holding on. I climbed an adobe building near the modern repair shop on the hill and I was busy coordinating the Iranian counterattack when some gunner on a BMP spotted my binoculars flashing or something and wiped out the building with an anti tank missile. I died and had to switch to the role of a confused conscript. So I was still this conscript character when I went to find the brave Iranian Major I had once been. I found his shattered body in the road behind the repair shop. Vehicles were burning all around. Most of the buildings where rumble. I stood in the road over my former corpse and thought of the terrible human cost (in this case me) of balancing even a small scenario in Chak Chak.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to sound like such a loser but remember i was 12 at the time. When i played Kingdom Hearts for the first time and finally finished it i cried at the ending movie. Then was over joyed to find out there was going to be a second one! Teared up a little too during Kingdom HeartsII when Sora finally saw Riku

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Tales of the Abyss made me cry like a baby. It was such a bittersweet ending, I still don't know how I feel about it. It's at the top of my list.

Final Fantasy VII... not too much, but I did cry several times throughout Crisis Core. Genesis, Angeal and Zack... :(

Also agreeing with amlptj, too, on Kingdom Hearts. RE: Chain of Memories included, but especially the first one when Riku got left behind... and again in II when he and Sora and Kairi saw each other again.

Part of Resident Evil: Code Veronica upset me almost to crying with a certain death. Resident Evil: Zero didn't make me cry, but the ending felt very depressing to me.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
FF7, Phantasy Star II, and possibly the bad ending of the first Silent Hill. I'm guessing Street Fighter X Tekken will have me crying for an altogether different reason, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.