Mama Jude's Pep Talk

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow!! I got hugs!!! Thank you all so much, it really lifted my spirits :)

HUGS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
This hug is just for Todd, who better be feeling better (or else). :)

:Hug2:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Pep talk me! I missed my deadline for my free proof through createspace for my Indian land title book. I'm bummed. It's not that big of deal really, a proof is only like six bucks, but it was the principal of the thing. My boss is proofing pages still anyway.

I am dragging myself through it. Aside from the research and writing, I've guided people to do their own research, given talks on the subject to groups, gone over it just to answer email questions over the last 5+ years, I'm just tired of looking at it right now I guess. I want to finish my Milk Carton story.

So why bother you say? Well I promised a 90 year old Seneca Elder I would. I want to put the book in her hand. Although it was already published as articles in a newspaper, the paper is out of print and not microfilmed/digitized. It will better protect my work. And I know if I was brave enough to put it out to the mass public some would buy and use it, especially in a land claims case. Which is also why I say if I'm brave enough considering I'm a government appointed historian in NY State. I don't think I would lose my job over it but who knows, since I'm pretty much proving the state was wrong in their handling of treaties and such. When I wrote for the paper it was under the pen name of.... ya, you guessed it, History Sleuth-- same logo I use here. Only a select few knew my name though. Certainly no one in government knew it was me.

It's just soooo time consuming setting it up! Plus there are very few people interested in the topic that are capable of proofing it (other then my boss, who is.) When I say capable, I just mean other writer's who would be interested in that sort of thing. Not something I would put up in SYW either.

OK, sorry, that was long. Sigh ..........................

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: History. It's almost over, right? And can you imagine the look on your friend's face that wonderful moment you press the book into her hands?

Let us run and not grow weary!

(But I'm SO with you on missing out on a coupon, no matter how small! :))

What does your boss say about your fears?

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
She just gave me a look, but no way she herself would fire me. She totally gets it. But I suppose the county board of supervisors could. I'm just not going to publicize it locally, and hope they don't notice or give a crap.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to believe they would--it's not like you're pubbing with the intent of discrediting anyone, right?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think Jude's right. Chances are no one's going to fire you for it, and I think it's wonderful you're doing it for your friend. That's so sweet. :) *Hugs* in any case.

Actually, I could use a few myself. Got lots of rejections in the mail this week (though none via email, oddly), and now I'm feeling a teensy bit antsy about it. I've been too sleepy to actually manage to write anything for the past few days. I'm sure I'll get over it by tomorrow lol. It's just one of those evenings.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
And I know if I was brave enough to put it out to the mass public some would buy and use it, especially in a land claims case. Which is also why I say if I'm brave enough considering I'm a government appointed historian in NY State. I don't think I would lose my job over it but who knows, since I'm pretty much proving the state was wrong in their handling of treaties and such.
Which state hasn't been wrong? I don't think it will be an issue, but if it does come up, I can't see how much danger your job could be in for pointing out the obvious fact that the American government, at all levels, has predominantly throughout its history screwed over Native Americans in any way it could. It tries to do better now but it's not like there was ever a consistent policy toward treating tribes as sovereign nations and respecting agreements in that light. We had a manifest destiny to follow, after all.

Er, ahem.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I made a decision today that I wanted to share in this space: I'm going to get back to writing this month, but I'm not doing it for anyone else. I'm not doing it looking to be published or impress Mr. and Ms. Agent Big Time. I'm going to be writing for me, my friends and whoever wants to read the story and enjoy the damn things.

So, I haven't figured it all out yet (like which one I'm finishing first), but if someone wants to read it, they can get it emailed to them. If they want to read it and don't want to read it on their computer, I'll get them to help me pay for a bound copy from Kinko's. I think they might enjoy reading them. Hell, I might even autograph them.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
*Hugs* for Todd. I think writing should be fun, so that's good. If the other stuff takes away from the writing, don't do it. I've come to the conclusion that the reason I don't get more requests is just because my writing isn't particularly good (well, or the plotting, who knows which), which is not a very happy conclusion, but oh well. I'm also going to keep trying because I'm a bit of a masochist like that. Enjoy it, though. That's the most important part.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Good, Todd. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Writing should be fun. If it isn't, why are we doing it? (Well, the pursuit of fame and fortune and, as kaitie mentioned, some masochism... :tongue). :Hug2:

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Good, Todd. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Writing should be fun. If it isn't, why are we doing it? (Well, the pursuit of fame and fortune and, as kaitie mentioned, some masochism... :tongue). :Hug2:

Very, very, very few writers ever achieve fame and fortune. There are a lot of successful writers you've never heard of. No fortune, but maybe enough to quit the day job. Then there are those plugging along, a book a year with a small press or even a medium press, who can't quit the day job. There are those like me, who after ten years, three finished novels and two agents, finally get to see one of my books in print. If you want to write, write. Stick with it, improve your craft, send it out when it's ready. Don't quit your day job. Don't count on ever being able to quit your day job. But keep an eye on the small presses and when you see a good fit, go for it. You'll have a real book. The whole "you have to have an agent and a major deal to be a real writer" thing is just silly. And I'm not suggesting self-publishing either. There are lots of options that might not pay a lot, and lots of options online that don't pay at all, but still have editors and still get your work out there. If you really want to write, write.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which state hasn't been wrong? I don't think it will be an issue, but if it does come up, I can't see how much danger your job could be in for pointing out the obvious fact that the American government, at all levels, has predominantly throughout its history screwed over Native Americans in any way it could. It tries to do better now but it's not like there was ever a consistent policy toward treating tribes as sovereign nations and respecting agreements in that light. We had a manifest destiny to follow, after all.

Er, ahem.

N,
Good rant. :rant: Kudos.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Yes, in my heart I know you are right. Right now there is no land claims in my area so ... I don't think I'll tick off the locals. :D But oh well anyway. BfloGal can probably attest to what these cases do to upset an area. But what's right is right. So plugging forward I go.

No knocks to self-publishing (and I don't mean vanity style) ever from me either. I've done it in book form. Even done some local history kinkos style and sold them. Did I get famous? Course not BUT locally everyone knows I'm a writer and enjoyed the local murder book. Sold over 700 out of the gate (not even through things like amazon). Still sell them actually. I have very few left. My area of the state loves the arts and local artists and authors, and does a lot to promote them. I have people all the time ask me what I'm working on now. Good enough for me. I'll try the agent route when I finish the Milk Carton murders, but if I don't get it, I'm not going to stress over it.

Good for you Todd. Keep writing!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that the reason I don't get more requests is just because my writing isn't particularly good (well, or the plotting, who knows which), which is not a very happy conclusion, but oh well.
I think you're being too harsh. Timing has something to do with it. The books an agent currently has on submission. The market. The economy. All the other hopeful authors out there. It's very competitive and very subjective and a lot hinges on timing. So stop thinking your "writing isn't particularly good." That's not true. And you're determined to make it better, which means anything you don't like now is bound to improve. Don't make me give you homework.

N,
Good rant. :rant: Kudos.
Thanks. :D

I'll try the agent route when I finish the Milk Carton murders, but if I don't get it, I'm not going to stress over it.
This can make the whole process a little less stress inducing. I write because I like it and it's fun. I query (well, I will be querying) because I like what I wrote and wouldn't mind sharing it with a wider audience, but publication doesn't drive me. Mostly I just like to write.

Here's encouraging teddy for everyone: :e2bear:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, in my heart I know you are right. Right now there is no land claims in my area so ... I don't think I'll tick off the locals. :D But oh well anyway. BfloGal can probably attest to what these cases do to upset an area. But what's right is right. So plugging forward I go.

No knocks to self-publishing (and I don't mean vanity style) ever from me either. I've done it in book form. Even done some local history kinkos style and sold them. Did I get famous? Course not BUT locally everyone knows I'm a writer and enjoyed the local murder book. Sold over 700 out of the gate (not even through things like amazon). Still sell them actually. I have very few left. My area of the state loves the arts and local artists and authors, and does a lot to promote them. I have people all the time ask me what I'm working on now. Good enough for me. I'll try the agent route when I finish the Milk Carton murders, but if I don't get it, I'm not going to stress over it.

Good for you Todd. Keep writing!

Don't forget, you won the pitch contest! Everyone loved your idea. I expect you'll be getting lots of requests for pages. :)

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
One could hope Kaitie. And don't EVER say your "writing isn't particularly good." That's just not so. Your characters sucked me right in. I thought about them when I wasn't reading your story, like they were real people, if you get what I mean by that. A sign of a good story if you ask me. Plus I'm hoping you'll let me beta Superheros when its ready. ** hint hint**

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Now that I think of it Todd is another writer who doesn't realize he's good. I've read Road Trip Lunch it had great descriptive quality in the MC's observations and inner thoughts. Your right in the cops head with him. I've read his Back Street Virgin at a Twist of Noir which I really liked.

Keep plugging away you two, it will happen.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe. My goal is to be finished in two months. We'll see if I pull it off. ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Haha...I think it's gonna depend on how long it turns out? If it's only 80k I can pull it off. If it turns out to be 100k or more it'll be much more difficult. And have I mentioned I'm reading this really great book series? ;)

Anyway, I'm gonna fight for it! (though let's hope I land more in the 100k range and just write a lot really fast cuz I'm on the last half. ;))