A Question About Submitting With Your Pen Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanizh

Lost in Revision Hell
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, all. Just wondering what to do about this. When I submit a short story or a query, should I submit it with my real name or pen name? Or should I write it with Sincerely, My Real Name with my pen name underneath it? To clarify, the only difference between my real name and my pen name is that I changed my last name to sound more marketable.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Sign it your pen name, and then if it gets to the point of needing a contract, tell them your real name.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
For short stories, they'll want both, and usually state so in their guidelines. Usually, the only place your pen name will appear is in the byline under the title. All other correspondence will use your real name (for contracts or checks or whatever).

When querying novels, you don't need to mention your pen name at all, unless maybe you've got some short stories published under it that you're using as credits. But still, use your legal name for every other aspect of the process.

Anyway, at least that's how I see it, which could be completely off.

Nicole

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Hiya, all. Just wondering what to do about this. When I submit a short story or a query, should I submit it with my real name or pen name? Or should I write it with Sincerely, My Real Name with my pen name underneath it? To clarify, the only difference between my real name and my pen name is that I changed my last name to sound more marketable.
In general it's best to use your real name. Once you start talking publication they'll ask you if you want it published under your name or a pen name.

Status
Not open for further replies.