Not open for further replies.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Shocking news for the British video games industry this week - one of its most innovative firms, created by an industry legend, is in deep trouble.
Realtime Worlds has called in the administrators and the jobs of 200 staff at its Dundee headquarters are under threat. The firm, which was founded by Dave Jones, the creator of Grand Theft Auto, can only survive if the administrators find a buyer pretty quickly.

Link

Urch... this sucks. I've got friends working there and plenty of others who've had similar things happen at other Dundee-based studios (and elsewhere).

I didn't buy APB, I'm far more a single player gamer than I ever will be a multiplayer one and although APB looked impressive, it's just not my cup of tea at all. Sad time for these guys.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
It's sad, but when APB bombed, it was also pretty much inevitable.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Well the damn thing wasn't finished was it? No significant content, unchallenging pvp, and, dare I suggest it, a flawed premise.

Sanboxes like GTA work because YOU are the only crazy fucker running around behaving like a raving madman. When an entire city is doing it (law enforcement included), it's not a sandbox, it's a war.

I just thought of a way to salvage it. Significant PVE. Two servers. PC's play cops on one server and hoods on the other. Your opposite faction is computer controlled. You're free to plan heists/raids and the computer does the same as you battle for control of the city and its resources. You might log off one night with your gang in complete control of an entire district and discover the next day that the NPC cops have raided four of your fifteen hideouts, and are planning a direct strike on your HQ.

PvP between the two servers can take place in some inner city warzone. Say an island in the bay or somesuch. Catering to PvP has always been a gamble though. Age of Conan finally abandoned their efforts to keep the hardcore happy and focused on becoming an end-content raiding game. They're reviving, slowly.

Anyway, enough cat waxing.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
The customisation is amazing, allowing you control over just about any aspect of your character. That doesn't bother me so much but given its intended use, as a sort of GTA meets WOW, I can understand the heavyset personalisation features.

efkelley said:
Sanboxes like GTA work because YOU are the only crazy fucker running around behaving like a raving madman. When an entire city is doing it (law enforcement included), it's not a sandbox, it's a war.

I totally agree. It was the lawless, Mad Max flavour to it all that turned me off. In all fairness, I haven't played it but I really don't think it's something I'd enjoy very much.

But yeah, these guys worked on this one project for five years. Most of the artists I know got pretty fed up of the constant play-testing but still had high hopes for it. Hell of a project anyway. I hope these guys get poached by other companies as rumours suggest they might...

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
It's a beautiful game. And I felt it had lots of potential. But, it should have been something post-apocalyptic. Maybe this is the last actual city on the edge of everything. The last bastion of any real type of civilization holding out at the ragged end of a flag symbolizing law & order. Then I can deal with ravening gangs of hoodlums, and I can deal with cops who shoot first and ask questions never. But it didn't do that. Alas. :(

Maybe they'll hire a writer next time.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was watching the intro and thinking that if things were that bad, they'd call in the national guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.