Chicken and the egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
It's that kind of question.
Where do book stores, get their books from? Is it from publishers? Other book stores? Book printers? How does it all work???

*Rips out hair.*

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
It's that kind of question.
Where do book stores, get their books from? Is it from publishers? Other book stores? Book printers? How does it all work???

I think there are at least two answers, depending on exactly what you mean by "get their books from". One is if you are asking about the location of the actual, physical copies of the books before they are shipped to the store. The other is if you are asking about the business model and who the stores order from and send payments to. Also, hardbacks and trade paperbacks work one way, but mass market paperbacks work a different way.

Do you need a detailed, step-by-step description of the book distribution system, or will an overview answer do?

(Note: I'm not qualified to say much more than I have already. I've read about it a couple of times, but have no personal knowledge. I'll see if I can find the links to where I read about it.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Distributors, mostly. Sometimes they get them directly from the publishers. And in rare occasions they'll get them from the authors (e.g. local authors at local book stores).

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Speaking from a library POV, we get nearly all of our books from three or four suppliers. As far as I know, they get them from the publishers. Can't see why retail shops would be any different. Thinking about it, it was the same principal during my record shop days.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
And while I think of it, don't rip out your hair. It makes you look like me.

(Today's words of wisdom were brought to you by a bald git).

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Distributors, mostly. Sometimes they get them directly from the publishers. And in rare occasions they'll get them from the authors (e.g. local authors at local book stores).

Speaking from a library POV, we get nearly all of our books from three or four suppliers. As far as I know, they get them from the publishers. Can't see why retail shops would be any different. Thinking about it, it was the same principal during my record shop days.

Yuh. That's pretty much it.

About 100 years ago I managed a bookstore, and that's the way we did it. Also, we occasionally ordered from sales reps who carried multiple lines--usually the smaller pubs. Today's giants--Borders, B & N, etc., may have a different system in place. I doubt the local store has as much say in their inventory as would a private store.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yuh. That's pretty much it.

About 100 years ago I managed a bookstore, and that's the way we did it. Also, we occasionally ordered from sales reps who carried multiple lines--usually the smaller pubs. Today's giants--Borders, B & N, etc., may have a different system in place. I doubt the local store has as much say in their inventory as would a private store.

Yeah, we had reps when I worked at HMV although the majority of stock came from ordering it direct from suppliers. No reps where I work now but essentially the same deal.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Expanding this question, who (or at what corporate level) makes the decision about what books a bookstore will order and for big chains, do individual stores or stores all in one region have any voice in tailoring the selection to their patrons?

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
What's going on that you're stressing over this to the point of baldness, Ageless?

For my business studies class, I have to draw up a feasible business plan for a business of my choice. I choose the legal structure, location, then relate it to the different industries, discuss the current market trends, identify costs, make contingency plans, conduct questionnaires and more market research and moooooore.

And that's just for one of my three teachers.

I choose a book store and then wondered where they got their books from, I suspected it was either publishers or suppliers but what kind of suppliers? Printing companies?

Oh and if anyone wonders I didn't decide to pick business, I was forced into it at the last minute. I'd much rather be doing ANYTHING else but I have to study business for a year and pass with a distinction before I can more on. It shouldn't be too hard though, the course is all coursework/essays and I've never gotten less than an A* for a business essay.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
The business model for publishing used to be very clear: stores got their books from wholesalers like Ingrams and Anderson and News Corp.

It's a bit more varied now. But my local indie, for instance, gets the majority of their books from Ingrams -- but also deals directly with a few publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.