Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's sexy, that's what.

A sexy back.

Justin Bieber Timberlake told me.

ROAR :D

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Gee, I sure wish I had shorted Facebook stock now. I started to but was busy with other things (like, say, eating pie).

I also thought about doing that, but decided now wasn't the time to take the risk. I admit to having a distinct feeling of schadenfreude -- the stock has done pretty much exactly what I predicted. I can't understand why anyone thought it was a good deal at $38 a share! I mean, it's free. No one looks at the advertising. And they can't figure out a way to monetize the mobile stuff, which is what more and more people are using. Not to mention I suspect the number of users has pretty much peaked.

Anyway. I guess I just could have said "me too." :D

My back is still sore. :(

Sorry about your back, Gail. Hope it's on the upswing.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shorting really is a speculative play, and that not usually how I invest. I have done it with good success in the past, but it takes some time and energy to stay on top of the stock. I usually get tired of having to watch the stock and will sell my short position as soon as I've made a tidy little profit.

Back during the late 1990s I wanted to short almost all of the dot com stocks, but it was just too hard to guess WHEN the madness would end. Everyone knew the whole thing was crazy, but it was just too risky to bet against it in the short-term.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yes, you can't spend your life waiting to pounce on exactly the right moment to buy and sell stock. There are other things to pounce on...

*dumps basket of yarn in front of kee kat*

Most of my friends were arguing with me on the Facebook thing, insisting that it was an incredible bargain at that price. Luckily, very few of them acted on that assumption (and none of them to a ruinous extent).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
560761_3055760403991_1562781858_32014774_1591478934_n.jpg

I discovered Yarnia yesterday.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my friends were arguing with me on the Facebook thing, insisting that it was an incredible bargain at that price. Luckily, very few of them acted on that assumption (and none of them to a ruinous extent).

If I had a bunch of friends arguing for buying a stock that would be a signal to me to possibly sell it short. When the guy at the local bar is telling you to buy, it's often time to sell.

I usually like to be out of a short position within three to six months, or sooner.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If I had a bunch of friends arguing for buying a stock that would be a signal to me to possibly sell it short. When the guy at the local bar is telling you to buy, it's often time to sell.

I usually like to be out of a short position within three to six months, or sooner.

Heh. I was in a hospital waiting room last week and this semi-crazed guy sporting a soiled t-shirt, a bad comb-over, and three-day stubble kept yabbering about selling gold right now before the bottom fell out. I'd been contemplating my gold stake recently (I bought it at the end of 2008, when the price was WAY lower than it is now). But now I'm leaning toward hanging onto it. Whatever this guy is saying MUST be wrong long-term! :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have some gold, but I consider it more of an catastrophic insurance policy than an investment. I only buy it when it's at a near record low.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bought cyanide as a catastrophic insurance policy.

I won't buy gold now. Too high. I buy silver. It's usually undervalued. One day it will go to my son, who will probably trade it off for bubble gum.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I have some gold, but I consider it more of an catastrophic insurance policy than an investment. I only buy it when it's at a near record low.

I suspect I've been investing for fewer years than you have, since I haven't really had much in the way of record lows to choose from! :D I've given myself a pat on the back for buying in at about the lowest time I could have done so, and for hanging on since. I agree it's a hedge -- I've been tempted to sell some from time to time and take the profit, but I've resisted.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I bought cyanide as a catastrophic insurance policy.

If the crazy guy in the hospital waiting room is right, cyanide might be the best possible catastrophic insurance policy. And canned goods.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend of over 20 years who is one of those pending apocalypse survivalists. He's always telling me that I'm underprepared for a mega disaster. I've always told him that if we have a mega disaster, I will shoot him and take his supplies.

Ahhh...friendship.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The trouble is, we're always under prepared for a mega disaster because we don't know which direction the disaster is coming from.

"I shall move to the Tetons to await the coming nuclear apocalypse!"

And then the volcano under Yellowstone blows.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The trouble is, we're always under prepared for a mega disaster because we don't know which direction the disaster is coming from.

"I shall move to the Tetons to await the coming nuclear apocalypse!"

And then the volcano under Yellowstone blows.

Yeah, I don't see how you prepare for a mega disaster. But I always keep a few things on hand for a mini disaster -- a few gallons of water, batteries, flashlights, a little radio, some canned stuff, a manual can opener, etc. That habit has stood me in good stead through blackouts and such.

I also have kept my land line and an "old-fashioned" phone with a curly cord attaching the receiver to the base. If there's a blackout or disaster, cell phones can run out of juice, and your cordless phone won't work without electricity (some folks don't know that!). But odds are, your old-fashioned phone attached to an old-fashioned land line will continue to work. Laugh all you like -- during the last blackout in NYC, a lot of people wanted to use my phone!

If there's a mega disaster, the cyanide and gun might be the best bet.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our blackouts never seem to last more than an hour or so because we're adjacent to a huge swath of land owned by the electric company. I'm guessing this is because they restore their own power first. The weather is pretty mild here, but the San Andreas fault runs right through my town. If that Yellowstone super volcano/Ring of Fire disaster happens, no amount of preparation will save anyone around here. Those who survive will survive out of sheer luck. (Meaning they happened to be vacationing on the other side of the planet at the time.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do the "emergency box" too. I also put in a few items that are not so much for an emergency as for stupidity. For example, a roll or two of toilet tissue; who wants to go to the store late Sunday night when they discover the cat chewed up the last roll.

Also, get some battery powered camp lanterns. They're great when the power goes out. I've even got a small battery powered TV.

I've also now got a portable power unit and convertor. I can run the TV or computer or a couple of lamps or whatever with it for several hours. If absolute necessary, I could hook the convertor up to the car and run an extension cord to inside the house. Of course, that would be the time I was almost out of gas.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have much in the way of an emergency kit.

Just a huge, underground chamber with a disco ball in case of infernos.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a generator. I don't know why. We've just always had it. I think someone gave it to us. The hubs fires it up about once a year to make sure it works. I suppose that's about the best we could ask for in terms of emergency power.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have much in the way of an emergency kit.

Just a huge, underground chamber with a disco ball in case of infernos.

Everyone knows that in a disaster, muppets are the first to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.