Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
That isn't that strange. I generally write contemporary in first, fantasy in third.

Well, nowadays I write almost everything in third. It's a voice thing. The voice of first person is totally different, IMO.

Harry Potter couldn't have been written in first person. The Hunger Games couldn't have been in third. It would have been a different story, to me at least.

I have a real thing about POV, though. I always know, without thinking about it, what POV (or POVs) a certain project will be written in.

I always wonder would Twilight be so popular if it wasn't written in first person.

Lisa, good luck!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Twilight is popular because, despite its flaws, it has unbelievable pacing. I believe part of that is because it is in first person.

There's other reasons it's popular, of course, but I think that's a big one.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I had an idea for my children's short story for uni.

Basically, a little girl gets trapped in a Mario-style world and has to go home. Sort of a sci-fi Alice in Wonderland. Do you think it could be told in roughly 2K?

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
OMG Hey guys! I've been away so long. I forgot the login and kinda just... didn't bother to find it. haha.
How are you all?

Can I ask someone a favour? I'm thinking of making a story of mine a novella, instead of trunking it. Would it be possible for someone on here, or two people, I'm not picky, to have a read through and beta it? I'm currently trying to edit it, but it's hard when it's just me judging it, you know? I've only actually had Ally look through it, and it would be great to have other peoples views. I'm not asking for slice and dice opinions, though. Something that isn't going to kill my confidence, but something that will help me. Strangely, there is a difference. ha ha

xD

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Twilight is popular because, despite its flaws, it has unbelievable pacing. I believe part of that is because it is in first person.

There's other reasons it's popular, of course, but I think that's a big one.

That's true. The pacing is pretty intense and I am not even a Twilight fan.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have a good point about the pacing, Tally. Also, wish fulfillment sells (look at romance novels).

I'm definitely not your beta, AAW. I'm a horribly nasty mean beta. :tongue

Definitely leaning toward making the MC a girl. The personality would be largely the same, but it would get rid of some gender tropes if I did that... not to mention boy MCs in YA are a harder sell.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I agree about the pacing in Twilight. It's the way it's written that really annoys me, and Bella and Edward as characters.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
What's it about, Katheryn? I might be able to beta.

It's about a girl named Anna who has the only vampire gene among her other siblings (asides from her father) and has to deal with her twin brother. Her father goes missing and she goes on a search for him. Sounds simple, but there's a kind of subplot with the brother that is intermingled with the main plot.
I am terrible at summaries, I'll have you know. ha ha

I've been chopping and changing bits, but I think I need fresh eyes because it's all blurring into one for me. :/

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
That's true. The pacing is pretty intense and I am not even a Twilight fan.

It sounds like you read an entirely different and much more fun version of Twilight. The one I read, the pacing was absolutely glacial. :tongue

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh god. New Moon and Breaking Dawn. I would gladly break my right arm instead of reading those again.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you read an entirely different and much more fun version of Twilight. The one I read, the pacing was absolutely glacial. :tongue

Relationship pacing, not plot pacing, as there wasn't much of a plot to speak of.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I love Twilight. Just thought I'd throw that out there. *waits for the rocks pelting my way* lol

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap. I could barely get through Twilight and I stopped not even halfway through of New Moon or whatever's next.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
It's fine that you all don't like Twilight. But I bet if I, or someone else trashed a book you loved, you wouldn't take it. So, you know. Just saying.

lol I swear you guys timed that perfectly. I come back to the forum after weeks, and you start bashing my favourite series. <_< coincidence? :p Just kidding.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Twilight has a good story line, but it isn't written well. I read all the books, and while I was reading them, I loved them. I read them obsessively for like a month, but once that month was over- I looked back on the books and realized that I didn't really like the characters and how the story played out.
I commend Stephanie Meyer for getting more teenagers interested in books. They just aren't my thing.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I loved Twilight when I first read it. Went crazy over it, actually. But that was like four/five years ago...I haven't read the books since.

All - I don't think they're trashing it. A lot of people just don't like Twilight for whatever reason and that's fine. As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm a Twilight fan (it's scary how much of a fan I am) but I've seen what trashing looks like when it comes to the book (or any book for that matter) and they're definitely not doing it. imo

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I found the pacing really fantastic- relationship-wise.

I don't mind Twilight. I find it can be entertaining (especially Robert Pattinson now that he's so clearly a Twilight hater). I, of course, find that it has flaws, like everything, and I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I read the books and go to the movies.

ETA: I don't really see anyone bashing, Kathryn, but I'm sorry if it's bugging you. I brought it up. Granted, I brought it up to say that I think one of the things that makes it so huge is the fantastic pacing, but I'm sorry anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.