The Big Thread of Questions about Agents

whose life would you rather write about?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Since I'm in the process of looking right now, for me the #1 quality is that they want to represent me.
That was my #1, which got altered to: do they want to represent me and do we have a rapport?

My second concern, almost as important as the first, was: do they represent everything I write or would I have to get another agent? I write in a wide variety of genres, and the idea that I'd have to look for another agent if I chose one who only represented some of what I write was quite a turnoff. (Finding ONE good one where it clicks is hard ENOUGH. :D)

The agent relationship is very much like a marriage, with your book being the child. It's a positive to make sure you and your agent will mesh on things like frequency and type of contact, suggestions or the lack thereof for future story lines, etc.

I also wanted someone who had a good track record and who was selling books on a regular basis. Also, due to my business background, I wanted someone who'd held onto some clients for a long time. Not all, I don't think anyone can do that, but I wanted to see a track record of some longevity with authors who felt successful over their careers.

I got the whole package, but believe me, it took some work and time. Others land their dream agent first go, so your mileage will surely vary.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
How about a relevant sales history? Especially with debut novels. A lot of agents pad their sales histories with cookbooks, celebrity diet books, etc. I'd be looking for an agent with recent sales in my genre, or looking to break into my genre.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone who can sell my book to the best possible house in the least possible time for the best possible deal, plus who is nice.

I'm easy. ;)

Kujai

Who? What?
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that ideal agents are not ones who are doing their business simply for the money or a day job, but are doing their work because they truly seek enjoyment out of the daily activities evolved with being an agent. If your agent loves to work, then that love will most likely transfer to your work.

A happy agent is a happy sales person. A happy sales person leads to a happy manuscript. A happy agent, a happy sales person, and a happy manuscript lead to a happy pitch offered to a publisher who has now found happiness. And a happy publisher will ultimately lead to a happy representation, a happy publication, a happy marketing campaign, happy sales, and eventually a happy and expanded audience.

The trickle up theory of happiness…

:hat: With comprehensive happiness proper logic is not needed.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
<snipped>

My second concern, almost as important as the first, was: do they represent everything I write or would I have to get another agent? I write in a wide variety of genres, and the idea that I'd have to look for another agent if I chose one who only represented some of what I write was quite a turnoff. (Finding ONE good one where it clicks is hard ENOUGH. :D)

<snipped>

This is big for me, too, since I'm querying a novel and proposing a narrative non-fic. I'd like an agent who could handle my entire career.

Aside from that, he or she (though my ideal is a woman) needs to be one with whose personality mine is compatible. You can often times get a taste of who they are by their site's agent bio. If they're flippant and edgy they won't be a good match for me, since I'm shy (at first) and reserved - and I move on in my search.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
How about a relevant sales history? Especially with debut novels. A lot of agents pad their sales histories with cookbooks, celebrity diet books, etc. I'd be looking for an agent with recent sales in my genre, or looking to break into my genre.

This was a huge factor in signing with my agent. Five months prior, he'd negotiated a really good 3-book deal for a debut urban fantasy author. Sure, every author is a "debut author" at some point in their career, but knowing that the agent not only takes on new authors, but also sells their projects, is a big draw.

That they love my book.

And this was ultimately why I chose by agent. He loved my book and told me why. We talked about the flaws, as well as what worked, and he was confident enough to say, "I know I can sell this."

Someone who can sell my book to the best possible house in the least possible time for the best possible deal, plus who is nice.

I'm easy. ;)

I think I got your dream agent, Phaeal. :D

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Communication. For me, that's key. Well, one of many keys, but it's so important because I've been burned in the past. I want to be informed, I want to be responded to, I want to know what the %$&* is going on! So before I signed with my agent, I let her know what I wanted, and she agreed. We're golden. She's very quick to answer my emails and keep me apprised of what's happening in the big scary world of publishing. My wish has been granted.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
You know what the problem is. People perceive that the door is closed to all because it is open only to the cream of the crop. I really disagree that Canadian writers have it tough. Like I said up-thread...I put my daughter through university by freelancing ON THE SIDE. That was very part time, very sporadic. And I pulled it off. If you can write what they want to buy, you are in. And as for fiction...they are very supportive of first time writers. The door is open if you're good. They are looking for something that sells. They want to make money. If Mr. Joe Who from Freezeyourbuttoff, Nunavut tries to get his superior manuscript published in Canada...God damned right it will get published. They don't care if he lives in a shanty beside an iceberg and eats pig's ears and sips Molson Ex while lounging in said shanty...if he's good, and he follows the right steps, he will get published.

True. Quality is key. I do think that a lot of agents in Canada focus on literary fiction, or at least crossover fiction. But I know that my agent will take on genre (mystery, suspense) if it's good. And I think she tries to sell it in the US first.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
On Saturday I met a woman who writes romance. She'd just snagged a US agent after being rejected by all Canadian agents she approached. The first thing her US agent said to her was, "we have to take the Canada out of your novel."

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember her name, but it was at the breakfast. She was the one who asked me, "that's not true, is it?" about not having much say in titles/covers, sometimes. Her book is set in Toronto at the beginning, moves to the States, and then goes back to Toronto. Her new agents wants to remove all references of Toronto.

And actually, my agent is always telling me to set a book in the States, rather than Canada.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
See, the part about having to set a story in the US irritates me. Why? Why is that so necessary? I don't think (all) American readers are so egocentric as to think their country is the only one that exists. What happened to diversity?

Bah!

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
You can take my book out of Canada, but you cannot take Canada out of my book

I have heard the "take Canada out of the picture" mantra too. However, in my WIP, if you took Canada out of the book, there is nothing left. The entire spy story takes place here, we have our own CSIS, our own agents, weapons, and, unfortunately, bad people we need to take down. I mention CIA somewhere, but they come across as very unlikeable.

On the bright side of things, an agent is reading my first 75 pages. She asked for them after I sent a one-page query and I am sure she knew the story was set to take place in Canada.

Thank you,

ED

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what such an agent, who wants you to make such a fundamental alteration, thinks of fantasy books set in a different world? Perhaps they'd like the dragons and unicorns to fly around the White House?

I'm sorry but it's ridiculous that anyone should have to make sure changes. It makes no sense at all. The lifestyle in the US is not significantly different from than in Canada. Why is this problem arising?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Then again there is the reverse, wanting to get a Canadian agent but not being able to because your work isn't Canadian enough. A lot of genre writers have this problem, they have no desire to go outside Canada, but because the story isn't about a depression era family riding the rails through Saskatchewan or something they can't get any kind of representation. I know one Canadian author who published one book about NY, but was told by her publisher that she needed to do something more Canadian next time.

I highly doubt I would ever have got an agent or published in Canada. Nor do I imagine would I have got the same attention from my Canadian publisher if I wasn't already being published around the world. It's a truly sad state of affairs (not helped at all by Harper's government . . . grr . . . ).

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I just happen to hope to come to Canada in another 3-4 years and settle down there. This thread isn't very encouraging! But then again, my publishing chances are likely going to be much better from there than from Sri Lanka. Alas the fate of man...

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
lol! Don't be discouraged! Canadian artists have learned how to deal with Canada. The good thing about at least Canadian literature is that we really love the literary stuff. And in most places literary tends to be shunned in favour of commercial. So this is one of the few countries where it is actually encouraged to write literary. Where you can become a bestseller writing literary. It's actually really nice!

And for those of us who don't write literary, it is seriously no issue to have an agent in the states (or in my case the UK). It is also a great excuse to travel, lol! Canada is a great country, and will always be one (even after Harper has had his nasty way with it - did you know he sought to introduce a bill which would give the government the right to revoke tax breaks given to film companies who shoot here if the government deemed the material "immoral"? And that they refused to give grants to artists who were maybe "too" left wing? Seriously, I pray he doesn't get the majority government he is seeking . . . though I worry . . . anyway . . .sorry . . . tangent . . . ), you shouldn't let this thread frighten you off of coming, lol!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
After leaving agent #1, I would have said "Connections in the publishing industry."

After leaving agent #2, I think I'm going to have to add "Enthusiasm about my work."

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Honesty, Experience and Tenacity.

I want someone who's honest about what they're looking at and what they're looking for, has the experience to know what they're talking about, and as stubborn as I am about giving up on a project they believe in.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
loves and is able to sell my work. (but short of that, I'll take Ferret and blac's answers)

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I should add that I read stuff all the time that uses Canada as setting. It does get published. Two that come immediately to mind are DAVID GILMOUR and SARAH DEARING (her Courage My Love was a great homage to Kensington Market in T.O.).

Not to mention: Robert Wiersema and Sherri Vanderveen. (-;

Heh. Thanks.

And I was worried about the potential anti-Canada content issue, but I've never had anyone say that the books should be less Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.