The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'd imagine the crickets'll clear out again starting Monday; from the twitter buzz, it seems like a lot of agencies still had vacation until then. I've gotta say, though, I've kind of enjoyed the break -- I got to do some reading for pleasure, disconnected myself from my smart phone a bit, and got a whole bunch of critiquing done (email headed your way this morning, hathor). Haven't done much writing, but I was feeling a bit in a rut anyway, so now I think I'll be able to start fresh again next week.

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Had another ridiculous internet outage this week. At least it lasted only 5 days, instead of a whole week. And it was sort of sporadic, instead of a complete outage. Still hard to do much of anything though, when you're only online for a few minutes at a time. Having said all that, it will probably conk out on me again tomorrow. Ugh...

Not much to report here. Closed out 2013 with one more short story rejection, and the editor for that anthology I was worrying about sent out a mass email to the authors -- he got a little behind, but it will be published sometime in 2014. Since I got the e-mail, I guess I don't have to worry that they changed their mind about my story. For now :D

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Ouch. Got a rejection on the full that was out for Channing. It was fairly stinging--the agent said the motivations were strangely fluid and the time jumps are convoluted. I can see where that's coming from, though I don't really agree. (Two chapters, back in time two weeks, then forward chronologically; is that so hard? I understand the motivation issue more. I have struggled to clarify/unify that.)

I think (hope) that she just focused on the reasons for passing instead of pointing out the good things. At least she didn't have comments on the writing itself.

Sigh. Well, I have to say this agent was wonderful about responding quickly with useful comments. I can't say how much I appreciate that.

ETA: These big rejections always make me lose my appetite. That's a hard thing to do.

Last edited:

ChristiRSuzanne

Registered
Reaction score
I got a too nice rejection from a small press who had my partial. They were very complimentary about my writing and style etc. Ultimately, they were looking for something more eccentric/genre bending. Just wasn't a good fit. It stung more than most because of all the complimentary words. Now that I've had my coffee I feel less bad, but ugh!

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Liz and Christi. And Christi :welcome: You mentioned eccentric/genre bending? Seems like that's all I ever manage to do. Do you mind telling me what press this is?

I spent the day reading cycling through reading Wendy's latest, trying to put stuff back into my new kitchen in some logical order, and checking my inbox compulsively since this agent who said she was enjoying my work checked in with me on the Mondays closest to the beginning of November and December. So much for that pattern...

Oh, I also whined to the head contractor, asking when they were going to finish. He's "going to keep me advised." Some of what we need to finish supposedly came into some port yesterday. It's been three months since they discovered that they'd ordered incorrectly, or the order hadn't been filled properly (I never have found out who screwed up). Then there are the lights they sold me on, but can't figure out what kind to use. But they just have the location all wired -- and we can't paint the room until the lights go in. :Headbang:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If it's any help we paint up here after the first fix, but before the light-fittings are put in. It means they don't get speckled with paint.

Our house is an almost-endless renovation project, but we're doing ok.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: for the Rs.

I'm still revising, but feeling way more productive now that I'm back to work and kids are back to school and we're finally on a schedule again.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
OldHack -- thanks for trying to ease my pain. But I should have mentioned that the unpicked lights don't have their exact placement determined yet. Right now, we have two wires hanging down out of holes on either side of a large skylight... box, I guess you'd call it. They aren't even symmetrical and aren't where we want lights to go. (Maybe I should specify also that the head contractor wants one location, the designer another, and hubs and I a third. We all can't even manage to agree on what kind of light.) There's still drywall work to be done whenever decision is reached.

I think I'm going to spend the day on Wendy's book, with breaks looking at light websites (again). I plan on ignoring all the reminders that just came in from QueryTracker telling me to write off a number of agents.

I will also ignore the fact that Wendy's family was able to clear away charred ruins and build a entire large hotel in less time than it's taking my family to remodel part of a smallish house. :tongue

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Still dealing w/ head cold, sinuses, clogged ear, runny nose. Fun times.

Also, empty inbox.

Hathor - Gotta say, when I was researching that, I was pretty impressed with their construction time as well.

Christi & Liz & Dragon - Sorry for the Rs. Hang in there, folks!

Anyone trying their hand at the twitter pitch party tomorrow? I'll probably skip this one... waiting on PitchWars in another two weeks yet.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
I will also ignore the fact that Wendy's family was able to clear away charred ruins and build a entire large hotel in less time than it's taking my family to remodel part of a smallish house. :tongue

No talking about the book on here! I'm only 6 chapters in! While I know the house will burn from Wendy's other posts, I don't know what happens after! No spoilers!!!!!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
No talking about the book on here! I'm only 6 chapters in! While I know the house will burn from Wendy's other posts, I don't know what happens after! No spoilers!!!!!

Oops, sorry! I didn't realize I'd be ahead of other readers since I first read some work about boys-turned-into-frogs. I least I didn't mention the visit from the time-traveling, cross-dressing space aliens or Mary's successful cheese-hat business.

ETA: feel better, Ms. Wendy

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OldHack -- thanks for trying to ease my pain. But I should have mentioned that the unpicked lights don't have their exact placement determined yet. Right now, we have two wires hanging down out of holes on either side of a large skylight... box, I guess you'd call it. They aren't even symmetrical and aren't where we want lights to go. (Maybe I should specify also that the head contractor wants one location, the designer another, and hubs and I a third. We all can't even manage to agree on what kind of light.) There's still drywall work to be done whenever decision is reached.

It's your house, you get to choose where the lights go. The contractor and the designer work for you and should do as you tell them. So there.

Take heart from me instead. Our house was mostly derelict when we moved in, and it isn't finished yet. We've lived here just over seventeen years.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Still dealing w/ head cold, sinuses, clogged ear, runny nose. Fun times.

Also, empty inbox.

Hathor - Gotta say, when I was researching that, I was pretty impressed with their construction time as well.

Christi & Liz & Dragon - Sorry for the Rs. Hang in there, folks!

Anyone trying their hand at the twitter pitch party tomorrow? I'll probably skip this one... waiting on PitchWars in another two weeks yet.

Wait, is there a PitMad tomorrow? I can't seem to keep up with these things.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It's your house, you get to choose where the lights go. The contractor and the designer work for you and should do as you tell them. So there.

Take heart from me instead. Our house was mostly derelict when we moved in, and it isn't finished yet. We've lived here just over seventeen years.

Yeah, but there's an issue of whether it is physically possible to do what I want -- the way the skylight well (that's the word I was searching for) was constructed, where the transformer could go if I want something that needs one, etc. He's gone all technical on me and I don't know if he's right (he said he'd discuss the issue further with the electrician). I have asked the project foreman if it's possible but he hasn't answered me -- since he hasn't been around recently. And he also keeps trying to escape any involvement in design issues.

So now I'm trying to find what I want exactly, then I'll tell them, "This." I haven't been able to find a picture of what I want yet, though. Maybe the contractor is right -- it is physically impossible.

You would think they'd want to finish up so they can be paid in full. We will owe them quite a bit upon completion. They also think the rooms are so stunning that they want to take pictures and try for publication. I agree, but they have to be finished first.

I have to stop thinking about it for now. I start ranting, as long-time readers of this thread realize by now.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else still have their kids home on holiday break due to the weather? Of course, my two youngest are home year-round... I tried spending yesterday adding a detail to my query that wasn't in it for Pitch Wars - thinking that might make it more tempting - but it may just be adding too much confusion. Sigh. I'd better just jump into the fire already... There's a small press editor who's open to YA submissions this week only and doesn't want a query (!!!) so I'll be sending my ms to him at least. I think he's a long shot based on his taste but it won't hurt to try.

Wendy - that sounds awful. I hope you can get enough rest. :Hug2: I'll be starting on your book soon.

Liz and Christy - Sorry about the rejections! Keep going.

Hathor - I can't imagine having so many rehab decisions to make all the time. But that's probably because I am perpetually interrupted by small children. Brain like a sieve. Good luck.

Krash - Yay for productivity!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Guess I have to get off my bum and send out some more queries this evening. I haven't sent any in weeks.

I've done a little tweaking to Channing as far as character motivations. I wish I knew which characters specifically the agent felt have squishy/fuzzy motivations, but I think I can guess. Of the four big players, Augustine is an open book who just wants to have a good time, Caroline is basically trying to make the best of a bad situation, and Harry is a bit out of his mind (and it's fairly obvious he's insecure and does almost everything just to prove he can--he says almost those exact words). Everett is the least concrete, thought it's clear in my mind. I've worked in a few paragraphs and reworked some dialogue because I don't think it'll take much: after the duel, his goal is to make up for his sins by doing all he can to fight slavery. I may give it a bit, run through it again, and see if I can pinpoint any more places where I can clarify his position.

As far as the criticism about the time jumps, well, I knew it wouldn't necessarily be to everyone's taste, and it is what it is. I've tried different solutions and think this is the best option. In the end, it's a matter of opinion. Betas thought my previous arrangement didn't work but didn't say it was confusing (as this agent implies it is). So . . . I just gotta find the agent who doesn't mind it or has a simple solution (ie "rearrange these chapters and it's fine").

The hunt continues . . .

/thinking out loud

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
While I haven't been logging in much I am following everyone's lives with interest. I found 21 new solid agents to query and have spent several days researching (mostly here on AW) and tailoring each query to that particular agent's wishes. Three of them HAD to be snail mailed with SASEs. It'd be a lot easier if their Submissions Pages were all the same:

"Hello, dear writer! We're DYING to read your novel. Please email the complete manuscript immediately! We guarantee we'll read it within the week and get back to you with either an offer of rep, or a detailed letter explaining why we don't feel it's right for us. But it will be!"

Okay, I made myself laugh. So, I've got that going for me.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I made myself laugh. So, I've got that going for me.
That's always been my approach, too.

You have something else going for you -- cookies. Never estimate their importance. You do have enough to share, I hope :)

Good luck with the new queries!

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it didn't happen today, but I thought I'd throw my two cents into the thread in the end :D

I have to have gotten one of the fastest query rejections ever received. Back at the beginning of December I've sent out two bare queries in the evening and the next day morning (relative morning, my sleep schedule is inhuman) found rejections in my inbox.

I guess my two-attempts story is far from chillers I've read about, but those are still coming, I am oh-so-sure. I've sent another 3 queries out with the requested first chapter/first three chapters. No word on those yet. It's been a month and over this time I haven't exactly sent any more. Chicken cluck cluck.

I think I should dig in and find some more guts and not give up until I reach at least a hundred of rejections, as opposed to two. Thing is I have that nagging feeling that my query is just... bad (though edited, rewritten and reconsidered quite a few *agonizing* times. Including following the words of wisdom of the AW crowd given to me months ago).

I'm both an annoying perfectionist and an easy-doubter. So one rejection on the table and sky is falling, my query is the devil and it all has to goooooooo! :D

I laugh at myself, I know I'm being silly. But it's a true story. *cough*

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the Rs guys! Calliea, the first ones sting the most. Try to keep your confidence up!

Shockingly, my first and only email from an agent in 2014 was a full request! Unexpected, but a good note to start the year. May the requests (and cookies) keep coming for everyone!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Sorry about the Rs guys! Calliea, the first ones sting the most. Try to keep your confidence up!

Shockingly, my first and only email from an agent in 2014 was a full request! Unexpected, but a good note to start the year. May the requests (and cookies) keep coming for everyone!

:snoopy:Also: :Thumbs:

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score

Yay! :hooray:

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor, you are correct. I have an infinite number of cookies to share. Have you been able to take a warm bath in your Dream Tub yet?

Calliea, chin up! I'm pretty sure I'm at around 100 agent rejections. Got a new one this morning with the salutation, Dear Mr. ChocolateChip Cookie. Um, I'm not a Mr. But okay. And Shandy is right, the first ones hurt the most. And . . . I'm no where near ready to give up.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Hathor, you are correct. I have an infinite number of cookies to share. Have you been able to take a warm bath in your Dream Tub yet?

Nope, they're still futzing with it. I was hoping for the full experience -- you know, panel on the side so the sound of the motors is muted, information provided so I don't start pushing buttons at random, instructions on how the new radiant heat system under the floor works, etc.

Also, the guy from the tile store came to look at the other bathroom (the one with the crud emerging from the tile) and so I had him look at the master bath. Lo and behold, we have marble next to the tub, not travertine like we thought. Marble that doesn't seem to be completely sealed yet...

I'm sorry. I should have simply said, "No, gimme cookies!"

xmach

GRRM and Weber's Love Child
Registered
Reaction score
I got rejected on my date last night...does that count?

I'm going on another date tonight with a different chick. Gotta bounce back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.