Screenplay lit agents

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So where is the best place to look for screenplay lit agents? I tried the Guide to Literary Agents for 2011, but they didn't have much. Any suggestions?

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Since HCD folded, that's your best source.

Or there's InkTip... or one of the query blaster services. You just had better have not only a stellar script but a brilliant query too. Getting a lit agent for a novel is a walk in the park compared to finding representation for a screenplay.

Good luck!

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, you don't always need an agent - it depends on the production company. Some, like Apatow will ONLY respond to queries from agents and won't even open envelopes otherwise while others will take spec screenplays directly. Some screenwriters don't bother with agents at all since it can be as much work or more to find an agent that will represent you as it is a production company interested in your work. At least with the latter you're getting paid.

I'm still trying to get a logline crafted to start sending them off and keep setting it aside for that one piddling reason.

I'm just going by the Writers' Market I have from 2011 for now and then maybe try to find some on Linked in. All the advice I've read as well says to look for a mid-sized agency or production company. Big ones don't seek new writers and tiny ones won't get you work.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay, but for the most part the agencies in the "Writers Market" are reliable, right? How about the ones on the WGAW website. Those ae all reliable, right?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but for the most part the agencies in the "Writers Market" are reliable, right? How about the ones on the WGAW website. Those ae all reliable, right?

They should be, I would think. Not so sure about WGAW but a google search of "company name + scams" ought to out the worst of them.

Along with the old, if it sounds too good to be true or they demand money in advance...

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Right, okay. Thank you. I'll look them up. I was thinking of going with Evotopia, but I'll check them out first.

Panzypanz

Banned
Reaction score
On wga's website they have a bunch of them. They have their addresses, and their phone numbers.