Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ruth, I just downloaded Sway free from amazon this morning. :)

Well, after Wonder, I was struggling to find something MG that I wanted to read. I just started The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, and I love it! It's got me out of my 'nothing can compare' funk.

I've realized a pattern in my reading and my writing right now. Misunderstood middle school aged boys. Girls too, but since writing DorkBoy, I've found myself thinking 'boy'.

Any ideas from anyone on more misunderstood unhappy boy MG books?

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Daniel X or Artemis Fowl?

I've read Artemis Fowl. Loved it! Daniel X is that James Patterson? I've read his Maximum Ride series, which I enjoyed, but I haven't read any more of his stuff. I believe I've seen that but haven't picked it up. Will look into it. Thanks!

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
How about the Prydain chronicles, they're old, but fabulous. And more recently, I love the Septimus Heap series. Wonderful.

Septimus Heap sounds familiar, but I haven't read it. Will look into that one as well. Have not heard of Prydain chronicles, will have to see if my library has it. Thanks!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
So, I just started Sway. I can feel it pulling me in, and I'm not constantly thinking about Wonder. Which is all good!

I downloaded it for free from amazon, which is great on the one hand, but made me feel icky on the other. I only just got my kindle, so this is a new thing for me, but I wonder how/why any book should be given away free? Thinking of how many hours of blood, sweat and tears go into writing a book, it seems very wrong. I had no idea it was free on amazon until I searched for it after Ruth's recommendation.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know... good question, Britwriter. Sometimes the increased exposure is worth it. Sometimes, maybe not... it's hard to say. Amber McRee Turner seems quite thrilled about it--see her post here:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=65849.msg779418#msg779418

Obviously, it's an honor, but is it profitable? Here's another perspective on the Starbucks promotions:

http://paidcontent.org/2012/04/30/amazon-fights-starbucks/

Either way, glad you're enjoying it! I was very impressed with the writing & characterization.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know... good question, Britwriter. Sometimes the increased exposure is worth it. Sometimes, maybe not... it's hard to say. Amber McRee Turner seems quite thrilled about it--see her post here:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=65849.msg779418#msg779418

Obviously, it's an honor, but is it profitable? Here's another perspective on the Starbucks promotions:

http://paidcontent.org/2012/04/30/amazon-fights-starbucks/

Either way, glad you're enjoying it! I was very impressed with the writing & characterization.

Ah, now I understand better why it was free from amazon. I am really enjoying it, but wish I'd waited until they started charging for it again! I'll make sure to review it, anyway, so that I make some contribution for having read it. :)

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Has anyone read THE RED PYRAMID by Rick Riordan? I got it not because I read Percy Jackson (which I haven't), but because I'm a sucker for ancient Egyptian mythology. In fact, when I first heard of Percy Jackson, I was like "Meh. Lemme know when he tackles Osiris and Co."- and now he has!

Problem is (surprise, surprise), I've been so busy with the EF redrafting and sequel writing that I haven't had much time for reading. So please, if anyone has a glowing review that would kick me into gear I'll try and find the time.

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've not read it, but just asked my 10 yo and 12 yo and they said, "It's AWESOME."

So, there you go. :)

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Loving SWAY. The quality of writing is amazing. It's like eating a box of the most delectable candy. I'm savoring every sentence.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally reading Savvy. Love it and can't put it down. Really interesting voice.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read THE RED PYRAMID by Rick Riordan? I got it not because I read Percy Jackson (which I haven't), but because I'm a sucker for ancient Egyptian mythology. In fact, when I first heard of Percy Jackson, I was like "Meh. Lemme know when he tackles Osiris and Co."- and now he has!

Problem is (surprise, surprise), I've been so busy with the EF redrafting and sequel writing that I haven't had much time for reading. So please, if anyone has a glowing review that would kick me into gear I'll try and find the time.

Dave

I read the Red Pyramid series. Thought it was okay. Not really bad, not really good. Personally I prefer Percy Jackson but to each their own. :)

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I read the Red Pyramid series. Thought it was okay. Not really bad, not really good. Personally I prefer Percy Jackson but to each their own. :)
Same thing here. I didn't even finish it.

I've only got one more book to read from Christmas; so I'm looking for something else.
Has anyone read Hokey Pokey yet?

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Same thing here. I didn't even finish it.

I've only got one more book to read from Christmas; so I'm looking for something else.
Has anyone read Hokey Pokey yet?

I just picked up Hokey Pokey at the library, and I can't wait to read it.

Yesterday I finished The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander, which was written before I was born. I really liked it. Before that I was reading a Newberry Honor book that I couldn't even finish, it was so devoid of conflict and tension. Just a day by day account of an eccentric family.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
I made a valiant effort on Warriors book 1, but I just can't. It's all tell, and seems to be solely about cats tackling one another to the ground while shouting cheesy As You Know Bob dialogue.[/I]

KP, try "The Wainscott Weasel" by Tor Seidler. It has none of that tedious "tackling each other" stuff.

Think Wind in the Willows meets Tom Sawyer, but WAY shorter and easier to read (Some dialect, but VERY minimal), and moves at a decent clip, though not the page turner that rivals an action flick.

It might read a tad cheesy in parts (Though NOT dated, which for a mid-90s title is impressive by today's standards), but that depends on the kind of reader you are. It's not saccharine fluff, but it's not a madcap, sarcasm trip, either. There's humor, but it's subtle and wit based, rather than slapstick.

I'm finding the story more and more touching as I near the end. THIS is a story to be savored, the art too, I mean, WOW.

What I wouldn't GIVE to illustrate like this guy! (I'd want him to illustrate my last MG novel, if only he were still alive:cry:)

Anyway, if you want some serious action without too much over the top violence, try "The Daring Adventures of Penhaligon Brush" by S. Jones Rogan. This has a fast-paced story, I almost tore one of the pages out by accident because I reading that fast.

Usually, I read slower the more engaged I get, this was a rare exception, and the only book apart from "The Tale of Despereaux" or the third HP I read in one day.

Now there are battles in this one, but I personally feel these are both engaging, and add dimension and weight to the plot, rather than mindless barbarism, not something I enjoy anymore than you, I reckon.;)

The sequel's just as good, and while it stands alone, it does have more power when you read them both in order.

For something more risque and Grimm-esque like there's "A Taste For Rabbit" by Linda Zimmerman. An older title, and I think out of print, but it's worth finding for cheap online.

Like Penhaligon Brush, A non-Redwall approach to animal fantasy worth a look.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading ENIGMA FILES by someone named Dave or somethin'. :)

So different to my normal read, and so different to my own writing, and so fun! Can't wait for it to be in print. :)

Today, whenever I take a break from editing, I return to SWAY. I love it. Totally gorgeous writing.

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Velchin and I'm honestly not sure what I think about it.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Just finished reading ENIGMA FILES by someone named Dave or somethin'. :)

So different to my normal read, and so different to my own writing, and so fun! Can't wait for it to be in print. :)

Why, that sounds like the most awesome book ever written EVER :D

Glad you enjoyed it, Nicola, and that it's pleasantly different from the norm - that's both my main goals fulfilled! I always set out to write something different, so relieved to know it paid off.

Getting into DORKBOY tonight, promise!

Dave

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Just finished Eva Ibbotson's last book--One Dog And His Boy. Which makes me want to go re-read some of her other books, because man, when she was on, she was on.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I'm loving IGRAINE THE BRAVE by Cornelia Funke. I had abandoned INKHEART halfway, but I absolutely love her picture books, so I tried this when I saw it at the library. It's so much fun. She just keeps raising the stakes, but it never feels forced, and it always stays light and fun - not at all scary. Good for sensitive kids who want adventure but can't handle scary. I'm going to try DRAGON RIDER next.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving IGRAINE THE BRAVE by Cornelia Funke.

I thought that was a typo, ha ha. Igraine? Is that even a name? I loved the first Inkheart book. Loved it. The next two? Not so much. I did like Dragon Rider, but I think I liked The Thief Lord better. She's just such a talented writer.

Oh my God, sissybaby, Hokey Pokey is just brilliant. I'm 3/4 through and am blown away by it. The inventive use of language, the pure emotions, it is just so original. My only quibble would be that Hokey Pokey, which is a land of children only, is really the land of the author's childhood, when boys rode bikes, watched cartoons, played catch. It's not really a land of today's boys (maybe that's good).

How do you get to Hokey-Pokey? By entering a building with a facade of a clown's face. You climb up a nostril, left or right, "it's your choice. Some say that the choice makes all the difference, whatever that means." - ha ha, love that allusion to Frost! I wonder if there is a nostril less traveled by.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Oh my God, sissybaby, Hokey Pokey is just brilliant. I'm 3/4 through and am blown away by it. The inventive use of language, the pure emotions, it is just so original. My only quibble would be that Hokey Pokey, which is a land of children only, is really the land of the author's childhood, when boys rode bikes, watched cartoons, played catch. It's not really a land of today's boys (maybe that's good).

How do you get to Hokey-Pokey? By entering a building with a facade of a clown's face. You climb up a nostril, left or right, "it's your choice. Some say that the choice makes all the difference, whatever that means." - ha ha, love that allusion to Frost! I wonder if there is a nostril less traveled by.
I just brought My Life in Dog Years. But if they have a copy at my library tomorrow I'll pick it up.

I recently finished Smiles to Go, very good, and Winterdace, great, but lots of bad language (definitely not for most middle schoolers).