• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jennifer Azantian Literary Agency

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Just saw that an agent from Sandra Dijsktra literary agency started her own agency. Her site says she graduated in 2010 and started as an intern in 2011. Doesn't say how long she was an agent but at most it was 3 years which doesn't seem very long as far as starting her own agency. I don't know about her sales in general because I no longer have a publishers market place subscription (but someone else who has one feel free to jump in and mention if she has much of a sales record)

Here's the site:
http://www.azantianlitagency.com/

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
When I was querying two years ago, Jennifer was interested in the particular novel I was pitching. She gave excellent feedback on the novel and was one of my "I got *this* close" agents. While she didn't offer me representation, I got the impression that she was not just educated, but also passionate about her work. Not sure what sort of experience she had working with the Sandra Dijsktra agency, but maybe there's a track record available on their site...?

JenniferAzantianLit

Registered
Reaction score
An Introduction

Hello!

I just wanted to pop-in and share a little about me and my agency. I've been a longtime fan of (and contributor to) these forums under a different username, but I thought I would create a separate account for the agency so I'll place my information below. I hope that it answers some questions about my background and credibility.

I founded the Jennifer Azantian Literary Agency on February 1st of this year. I specialize in science fiction, fantasy and horror for MG, YA, NA, and Adult readers. Before starting my agency, I worked at the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency. I was the assistant for Elise Capron and Sandy Dijkstra as well as the office and submissions manager for the agency. During my time there, I was involved in every step of the publishing process, and I opened to submissions myself a little over two years ago. After my time at SDLA, I worked with the Paul Levine Literary Agency for several months, and it is under his mentorship that I started my own agency.

The reason I started my own agency is that I want the freedom to advocate for the authors that I believe in. While at the Dijkstra agency, I took on one author who has come with me to my new agency, and I couldn’t be happier to continue working with her. We are currently on submission with her novel. I am fiercely protective of writers, and I want to be clear that I would not have started my agency if I didn’t know I could provide the best of service for my authors. I am an editorial agent who has filtered through tens of thousands of submissions, written effective pitch letters, and networked with top editors at all the major publishing houses. While I felt I had a strong background, there was still a piece missing, and that was how to get my authors the very best terms when offers were made. Though I had some experience with the process at the Dijkstra agency, I needed more if I wanted to strike out on my own. That is why I paired up with Paul Levine, an agent and publishing lawyer of over thirty years. With Paul working with me for my authors, I feel the Jennifer Azantian Literary Agency offers everything that an agency should. There is risk when choosing any agent to represent your work, and I wanted to share my strengths and my weaknesses so that authors can make an informed choice when submitting their work to me.

~Jennifer Azantian
azantianlitagency.com

Last edited:

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent experience?

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
I queried yesterday...also waiting. Optimistic, too.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Lovely little rejection today, which came two minutes after another e-mail with an offer for the book, so the disappointment was ameliorated, somewhat.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I am conversing with her via email about a publishing contract. She seems enthusiastic, knowledgeable and professional. She has a short but impressive background in the industry. Definitely someone I'd like to work with.

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
I just signed with Ms. Azantian and everything so far has been tremendous.

Micah

Reactions: Tepelus

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Queried for an NA Fantasy Romance. Fingers crossed for a positive response...

Cel_Fleur

Registered
Reaction score
No. It's nearing eight weeks on the query, so I'm considering resending/sending a follow-up message, but I'm not sure if I should. I did receive a confirmation email straight after I sent (which suggested I could send a follow-up message after six weeks) but haven't heard any more.

Cel_Fleur

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, got my R today at the two month mark. Shame. Very warm, though - and, as always, in the subjectiveness case. Anybody else had any luck?

~Fleur

lilmerlin

We are many - and get along fine!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gruy.biz
I am fiercely protective of writers,
~Jennifer Azantian
azantianlitagency.com

Oh how I and my MC would need that type of nest - what a neat thing to say (reminds me of my time as kindergarten teacher - I was def fiercely protective of my group ;)
Alas I'm a newbie here and just saw that the agency is closed for submissions, so I shall patiently wait for a new chance to enter (well try to) Miss Jennifer's safe haven...

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
As of December 1st (2015, I assume), Jennifer is closed to unsolicited submissions. Website notes: "Projects that have been requested from conferences or contests as well as those referred by clients or collegues will continue to be accepted.*Jennifer is aquiring only subgenres of science fiction and fantasy as well as smart, psychological horror for middle grade, young adult, and adult readers."

So if you can get a referral or pitch to her in person or during a twitter pitch session, go for it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
She has occasional month-long open periods, as I understand (last one was back in the fall), but is usually closed to unsolicited work. If you're interested in subbing her, keep an eye on her twitter and website.

But out of curiosity, has she placed any fantasy or SF books with a big-5 or SFWA-approved publishers yet? Last time I checked, she had a couple of sales to presses that aren't SFWA approved (Curiosity Quills and Permuted Press).

JenniferAzantianLit

Registered
Reaction score
Hi AWers!

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I do open for 1-2 month periods for unsolicited submissions that I announce on my website http://www.azantianlitagency.com/pages/submissions.html and on Twitter @jenazantian. The reason I close for parts of the year is that I read every submission personally and do need time to catch up on requested material and to take care of my clients. My last open period was during the month of May but only for MG stories. I will likely be opening up to all unsolicited submissions (or at the very least all kidlit depending on how things go with my current projects) for a two month period after I finish up at SDCC in July.

Also, for those wondering, here are links to my recent sales to S&S and Macmillan. These are the first projects I took on after founding ALA and will be out Summer 2017 and Winter (January-April) 2018. I'm so thrilled to finally be able to talk about them!
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...9016-book-deals-week-of-december-21-2015.html
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...le/70628-book-deals-week-of-june-13-2016.html

At this point, I only take on a couple new projects per year that I must wholeheartedly believe in. I spend a lot of time working on these projects editorially and then on pitching/selling them (and beyond!). When I first started, this took a really long time, but things are definitely speeding up as I become a faster editor and as acquisitions editors begin to truly trust my judgement.

Warmest,
Jennifer

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Hi AWers!

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I do open for 1-2 month periods for unsolicited submissions that I announce on my website http://www.azantianlitagency.com/pages/submissions.html and on Twitter @jenazantian. The reason I close for parts of the year is that I read every submission personally and do need time to catch up on requested material and to take care of my clients. My last open period was during the month of May but only for MG stories. I will likely be opening up to all unsolicited submissions (or at the very least all kidlit depending on how things go with my current projects) for a two month period after I finish up at SDCC in July.

Also, for those wondering, here are links to my recent sales to S&S and Macmillan. These are the first projects I took on after founding ALA and will be out Summer 2017 and Winter (January-April) 2018. I'm so thrilled to finally be able to talk about them!
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...9016-book-deals-week-of-december-21-2015.html
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...le/70628-book-deals-week-of-june-13-2016.html

At this point, I only take on a couple new projects per year that I must wholeheartedly believe in. I spend a lot of time working on these projects editorially and then on pitching/selling them (and beyond!). When I first started, this took a really long time, but things are definitely speeding up as I become a faster editor and as acquisitions editors begin to truly trust my judgement.

Warmest,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer - I know you're closed to submissions, but we had talked previously and you seemed interested, so I sent a follow-up email today. Thanks.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer! Best wishes on the new sales. But I still have to ask (understanding that it may be a prickly situation, and you can tell me to zip it), why Curiosity Quills and Permuted?

CQ has come up dramatically since its rocky early start, and has some great sales numbers, but it's still new enough that as a writer I'd be hesitant to sub there. And Permuted? Their AW thread alone should sound a few warning bells.

When I look for agents, whether they are open to general queries or not, I look for sales to publishers I'd consider reputable and stable. When I see an agent handling obvious vanity press 'sales', that's right out. Same with presses that have been having fairly obvious meltdowns for a while. But there's a gray area of sales to small presses, some great, some (maybe) not-so-great, that I am still figuring out.

I'm mostly just curious.

JenniferAzantianLit

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Filigree,

No worries at all. I'm glad that you asked! Those are both special cases for the agency. In the case of Permuted, the author came to me for help with contract in hand, and I negotiated with the president himself to get the best possible terms. To be honest, I probably wouldn't do special case deals like that again. Since then, several people have come to me with deals in various stages with smaller and medium sized houses and I've found I'm more comfortable working with authors from the beginning.

As for CQ, I've been quite impressed with them throughout this process, though I do not typically submit to them on my own. One of my authors has a long-standing relationship with CQ and has done well with them over the years. We submitted because of an option clause on a project I didn't represent and then ended up going with them in the end because--though it got a few close calls--it ended up being on the niche/quiet side of fantasy.

My aim is always to strive for the "big 5" and several medium-sized houses first and then to check in with the author. I usually advise we work on something else together, but I will submit to smaller publishers that I trust if the author really wants to do that.

I hope that helps!

Warmest,
Jennifer