The Great Absolute Write Spec Fiction Anthology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The first round of "Nope this won't work -- got something else to send?" and "You've made it to the next level of considerations, hang in there" will be going out tonight and tomorrow, by the way, if all goes according to plan.

Did it all go according to plan? Ie did you send out all the first responses?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
For the curious, we're sitting at just over 40 submissions, as of about a half hour ago. Of those, several are from writers with semi-pro and pro publishing credits.

I'm absolutely delighted at the quality of what I'm seeing -- but competition is looking like it's going to be pretty stiff. Thanks so much, everyone!

IRU -- I have NOT yet sent responses. They'll start going out a little later this evening, though.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, there seems to be some confusion as to what to submit in order to be considered to be included as an illustrator.

At the moment, because we have no idea whatsoever as to what the stories will be about, all I want is samples of the kinds of things you do. Do you do hand work? Pencil, pen and ink, charcoal, watercolor, oils, acrylics, gouache, computer renderings? All this is acceptable and desirable. We'll worry about content in a month or so. Right now, I want samples of your stuff, to assess your skills and more to the point (because at the moment, whereas Mac is getting 40 some-odd stories, I'm getting samples from ONE artist) to assign the right artist to the right story.

So c'mon! lemme see what you got!

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
For the curious, we're sitting at just over 40 submissions, as of about a half hour ago. Of those, several are from writers with semi-pro and pro publishing credits.
Well, now I'm officially daunted and discouraged. Well, not so discouraged that I won't submit anything, but still... wow. Okay. Hmmm.

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
How will this book be published and what distribution channels will be used? I.E., ebook on Kindle / iBook or CreateSpace / Lulu or will it actually hit bookstores? Just curious.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I realize there are qualified artists (some immensely so) hanging around looking for work. Probably, in this economy, thousands of 'em.

But you know? I don't care about them, unless they are members here. For this anthology, I'm looking for artists who are also members of Absolute Write.

Hell, if we were to open this gig to everyone in the world, it'd be done by now.

No, the only eligible writers and artists are members of Absolute Write.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I'm officially daunted and discouraged. Well, not so discouraged that I won't submit anything, but still... wow. Okay. Hmmm.
Have heart, Psychomacologist. There are still three weeks to go, more or less, and the panel who reads and selects stories for this gig will have NO IDEA who wrote what.

I'm in process right now writing a piece of crap story that I hope might get some interest. It might. It probably won't. Or it might not be among the top 20 or so that get accepted. Never mind. What we do know is this: every single entrant in this thing is a member of Absolute Write. NO ONE outside the AW borders will be considered.

And that makes me feel good. :)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
How will this book be published and what distribution channels will be used? I.E., ebook on Kindle / iBook or CreateSpace / Lulu or will it actually hit bookstores? Just curious.

Naw - we don't have the distribution channels to get it onto bookstore shelves, so we're looking at a simultaneous e-book release (Kindle/iBook) and a POD version available by order only. We'll send out contributor's copies of the POD version. That's a big part of why we're not paying very much, but also only asking for one-year, nonexclusive rights.

Honestly, I really don't expect we'll sell enough copies to pay back the upfront costs for the writers and artists. We'd have to sell somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3K copies to do that. That's totally okay with me, by the way -- I'm largely viewing this as both a community-building project, as well as a good opportunity to entice some of our shyer members into actually submitting, so they get a taste of it.

If by some strange chance we DO earn the upfront costs back, btw, the plan is to evenly split any earnings between the contributors, payable quarterly. (But that's all in the contract.)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
*sigh*

Some of you definitely should go and look at this Standard Manuscript Format for Short Stories example, please. I'm not a total stickler about it, so if you're close but not quite there, don't worry.

Also, I'm not using a failure to use standard format as an auto-reject standard -- but other editors might.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:e2paperba

I've never subbed a short and I mistakenly assumed it was the same as novels.

tuzki60.gif

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Alice, you're not who I'm looking at. :)

I'm looking at a couple of subs that are unformatted, single-spaced, with no paragraphs; one has no title, page numbers, and no author's name anywhere on the ms pages -- another is in Verdana or Arial typeface, which doesn't print out at all well and has to be reformatted before going to the panel.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
:e2paperba

I've never subbed a short and I mistakenly assumed it was the same as novels.

tuzki60.gif

It's not all that different (and that article is for paper subs and mentions it might be different for e subs)

First time I ever put my name and address on the left - it's always on the right over here.

Main points:

Courier or TBR

1" margins

Double spaced.

Page header with title/surname

Everything else is pretty subjective (ie read the guidelines!) in in subs.

Mae it easy to read/contact you. Other than standard dialogue stuff, the rest is mostly gravy (their style prefs).

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Main points:

Courier or TBR

1" margins

Double spaced.

Page header with title/surname

Everything else is pretty subjective (ie read the guidelines!) in in subs.

Mae it easy to read/contact you. Other than standard dialogue stuff, the rest is mostly gravy (their style prefs).

What she said. :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
And I just hit send! Fingers crossed that my sub makes it into the GAWSFA! (Geez, even the acronym is long...).

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Crazy bunch of writers, you.

About half the notifications have gone out -- so if you still haven't heard back, no panicking. <g> Probably tomorrow you'll get word one way or the other.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My pet eyeballs were very happy with what they read over my shoulder from their jar.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My pet eyeballs were very happy with what they read over my shoulder from their jar.

Me too

Also, this has got me started on another story - that would be way too long for this, but is fun so far. So the little skittery pets from that are happy too :D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Alice, you're not who I'm looking at. :)

I'm looking at a couple of subs that are unformatted, single-spaced, with no paragraphs; one has no title, page numbers, and no author's name anywhere on the ms pages -- another is in Verdana or Arial typeface, which doesn't print out at all well and has to be reformatted before going to the panel.

Um... :gone:

Ok, I did part of that. :e2smack: Serves me right for only finding this thread after submitting. How's that for being intelligent?

Mac, do you want me to re-sub it, properly this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.