• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Lion Intellectual Pty. Mgmt. (formerly PMA Literary & Film Management)

kevacho

Hello all... :thumbs

Just wonderin' if anyone has any information about Peter Miller and PMA Literary? Do they appear to be legitimate and all that?

Nothing too exciting, but they have taken an interest in my novel.

Thanks...

Any help, and or, information would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"Don't forget the joe!":coffee

priceless1

PMA LITERARY & FILM MANAGEMENT...?

Kevin, from what we've been able to discern, Peter Miller is legit and well known. Our marketing director met and talked with him at great length at the BEA in Chicago last June. He's contacted us about representation for some of our works.

Victoria, what say you?

vstrauss

Re: PMA LITERARY & FILM MANAGEMENT...?

PMA is a highly successful agency with a strong track record of selling publishing rights and subsidiary rights; it reps some very well-known writers. Just one small caveat: at various times I've gotten reports of paid critique services offered to rejected clients. I haven't heard anything about this in at least a couple of years, though, so it may be it's no longer an issue.

- Victoria

kevacho

:cheer

Thank you Lynn and Victoria. I'm really grateful for the help and informative words.

I'm waiting now (of course, the dread waiting) to hear back from PMA.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"Don't forget the Joe." :coffee

absolutewrite

Congrats, Kevin! That's a great accomplishment already.

kevacho

:clap

Thanks Jenna. Believe me, your kind words do not fall on deaf ears. I've been doing this particularly frustrating dance for some time now. Querying agents, and attempting to get a writing career going, can be alot like doing the "Lambada" without a partner!
:snoopy

It's nice to have a little encouragement.

"Don't forget the Joe.":coffee

"Live to Write. Write to Live." ;)

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

junkyardawg1

They are legit....They've turned down both of my novels though.

Good luck,

dawgy
www.lwcook.com

kevacho

:) Dawgy,

Thanks for the kind words. I feel your pain, for lack of a much better phrase. But don't give up, don't back down... "eye of the tiger", fellow writer!

I always tell people when they ask me how it is that I do what I do (which is writing) that it's much easier than you think, and alot harder than you would assume. (That's also what I told people when they queried me about my abilities on the drums, but that's an entirely different story.) I think the key just might be persistence... dog-eared, blind, sometimes dumb, stubborn persistence.

The other thing I tell people is that the only thing capable of stopping me from trying, which is to say trying to publish, or get sold, is death. And that happens to be one of those variables that is beyond any one of our controls.

So... worry about death if you have to, or taxes, or bills, or the dreaded "day-job", but don't ever stop writing!

"Write to Live. Live to Write."

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"The Liquid God" :coffee

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I have a comment about this agency. They responded (to an e-query) with a note he's forwarding my query to an associate. She'll contact me...if she's interested.

And then a push for his website and book.

I was thrown off by the push for his book, but not too much. By forwarding my query to another, does that mean anything? Or was that sort of automatic. A form letter in which he plopped my name?

David

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
David, I queried PMA last year and got an e-mail telling me to follow the submission guidelines. The e-mail also included a plug for the Delessandro book that had just been released, which I thought was a little weird. Then again, why not? I never submitted my ms, but I wish I had.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I'm going to weigh in here with a few comments about the practice of putting brochures and other ads within returning SASEs.

First of all, writers are terribly shy people for the most part. Yet if they want their books to do well, they have to remember that they can make impressions on readers or potential readers by letting them know of the existence of their books. It's called promotion. There's nothing wrong with it and it's something that many writers need to learn to do for themselves. It doesn't mean you have to learn to do precisely the same thing once you become published, but you shouldn't condemn other writers for doing what little they can to promote themselves. After all, they're no less proud of their books than you are of your efforts. It can even be a good thing for you as writers.

Okay, how can it be good for me as a writer? Well, it gives that agent or publisher an incentive to reply back to you. There are far too many who think wrongly that it's okay to ignore writers regardless of their ability whose work they don't want to represent or publish. Well, permitting them to include an ad for their latest effort means they'll at least respond since now there's an advantage for them to do so. Remember, it's not costing you anything extra in postage. If it does, then let that agent know. Also, let P&E know.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
They didn't tell me to follow the guidelines, they just said that I could find more information about them and their guidelines on the webpage while I wait for a response.

PS, he also gave me the associate's email address. Told me I could reach her there. I didn't think a prospective client would need such an addy. Why would I contact her, is she going to forget me?

I don't want to seem pushy, either. The sending me to an associate is a new one on me.

David

Oh, one more thing, I didn't mean to imply I was condemning it. I was only surprised, is all. (talking about the push for the book). More power to him, but I don't want that to be the only reason for the email.

and.....Has anyone heard of the associate, Kelly Skillen? She's listed at www.agentquery.com but there's not much more than her name.

Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection from Kelly Skillen at PMA a couple of months ago. She appears to be a new agent there.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
You got an expression of interest from Peter Miller? Pat yourself on the back. Now let's hope they take you on.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
About PMA

I've been contacted by them, as well. For both screenplays and novels. One novel was rejected by an associate but the screenplays are still under consideration. The initial email response was from Peter Miller.

So, I am waiting to hear as well. I imagine from checking their website and looking at their step by step process i am at either stage 3 or 4.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
More...

Lauren Hodge at PMA is the associate who rejected my fantasy novel. My other thriller was passed onto Kelly Skillen, with a note that if she wanted to read it she'd be in touch.

She never contacted me.

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding about PMA is that it is a company under which various agents work, Peter Miller being only the company head and most well-known, but all of the agents, or "associates" who work for the company have equal say and power to make decisions about clients they wish to represent. Peter Miller often refers potential clients to other agents at PMA because he either likes the premise of the work, but is too busy himself to take on another project, or simply because he may feel the project would be better suited to the tastes of one of the other agents. I had a similar experience when my project was passed on to Kelly Skillen, but my understanding is that Kelly has placed at least three sales with major publishers in the last few months. Plus, every time I have inquired as to my project's status, she has been gracious and courteous to me, as have all the staff there.

I did have some initial reservations. Not many people seem to have heard of the agency, despite a presumably thirty-year track record. But I've checked up on all their claims, and all their credits appear to be legit. Plus, as many of you know by now, Liam Jackson's novel is represented by Ms. Skillen.

But to get back to the original question, I do believe sincerely they are legit (otherwise, I would not be working with them) and I don't think the practice of referring potential clients to other agents who work for the agency is anything to be suspicious or alarmed about. I know that, even though I submitted a 1300 page manuscript, at no time has any type of "editing service" been mentioned; instead, Ms. Skillen has allowed me the courtesy of making my own edits, according to my own judgment, at my own pace. She's never been obtrusive with ideas for cuts, etc. She seems to truly believe in the project, and its merit. I guess my only real complaint is the seemingly endless delay of just getting it in front of publishers. I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with this agency, or others, and is this really something to be unduly concerned about?

Last edited:

Boulanger

Bomb dropped at PMA

I too have been represented by Kelly since March. She was great, but I received an e-mail a couple days ago saying she's taking a leave of absence. I'm being handed over to another agent. I check the web site and I don't see a ton of agents at PMA. Makes me abit nervous.

I wonder how much committment the new agent will have in the project -- it was Kelly who recognized its worth. Its Kelly who worked with me to get the proposal right. I'm sure you know this now yourself. How frustrating.

Boulanger

Bill Jomes

Any Updates Re PMA and/or Skillen?

I've received an e-mail of interest from Ms. Skillen of PMA and I was wondering if the folks who've dealt with her and/or PMA have any further helpful information.

Another question: InkWell Mngmt has on their website a clause for electronic submissions which reads to this effect, if i'm reading it correctly: InkWell will not be liable to me if they have some property which is "similar or identical" to mine.

Um. Identical? My paranoia kicks in. If a work is "identical" to mine, doesn't that mean it's the same thing word-for-word? Can anyone shed some light?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It means they spent too much time in Hollywood.

No one is interested in stealing an author's works, at least in the print world. Publishers aren't interested in your current book alone -- they want the next two books also. Stolen books don't come with sequels.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I wonder if Dan Brown would be getting sued for Da Vinci Code if his book hadn't topped the bestseller list and have a movie about to debut in May.

they only care if they think they can squeeze money out of you - if his book had been a modest seller no one probably would have noticed.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF PMA LITERARY & FILM MGT., INC.

Hi everyone. This is the first time I've posted here but I would like to thank everyone up front for the great advice I read on here before actually becoming a member. But any how, I said I would join after I finished my latest screenplay and was beginning the agent search process. A low and behold an agent in new york has agreed to read my script.

I am aware of companies such as THE SCREENPLAY AGENCY (Who also almost got myself, and probably EVERY struggling screenwriter/writer), but I was wondering if anyone has any info on PMA LITERARY & FILM MGT., INC.? The company is ran by Peter Miller who also wrote me. Their website is www.pmalitfilm.com. I'm still doing some research on them and will post my findings also.

They initially asked me if I would be interested in turning the script into a novel as they represent more authors than screenwriters but do accept screenwriters considering the material.

Any feed back would be great. Thank you all!!!

-KAM