Does anyone know anything about starting a magazine?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I have an idea for a magazine that would appeal to a large and growing market: stay-at-home dads, especially for the first and second years of their children. There are tons (well, quite a few) magazines geared for women, but I can't find a single one for men. I asked our pediatrician today about it, and she didn't know of one either.

Being a stay-at-home dad, I would want to read a magazine like this, especially with learning how to raise my infant daughter while my wife works. The womens' magazines talk about relaxing in bubble baths, popping popcorn and watching chick flicks, getting pedicures, blah blah blah. I don't care about those things. What can a man do while raising his infant child? How can he cope? What tricks and lessons can be discussed so men can learn from others' experiences?

I know there are websites and message boards, but I'm talking about a real, glossy magazine with articles, advertisements, photos, etc.

I'm wondering if magazines' parent companies are interested in starting new magazines if they are pitched to them, or does a startup have to be independent?

I could create such a magazine and fill it with freelance content drawn on by other dad-writers and freelancers (esp from AW) and myself.

Any ideas?

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
That's a really good question, re: selling a 'magazine concept' to a publisher. If you did that, it would be almost like signing on the publishing house as an investor. I'm sure they'd want to see a business plan, at the very least. And you'd want to copyright your magazine name and the planned features and departments so they didn't just take your idea and title and publish it in-house with their own people.

I have a lot of experience with start-ups and re-designs, but always working for a larger publisher, so I'm not much help. My one stint at magazine ownership, quite frankly, I hated it.

Dawn

Deleted member 42

I'd start with a blog, and then branch out to a community/forum in addition to the blog, encouraging Dads to comment on the blog, before going to print.

Print is expensive; mailing and distribution are costly.

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I know a lot about starting a magazine. I have co-owned my own publishing company before and wrote a post-graduate thesis on starting magazines. I can tell you that it is very, very difficult and risky.

I will come back to this in a couple of days with a more helpful response, I have to go out right now!

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Or...as an alternative...what about pitching this idea as a column to a magazine? It would take a little thought to decide which mags might work well for that, but it could really be a hit.

Best of luck either way!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Great idea for a magazine. My brother is a stay-at-home dad. I don't know anything about starting magazines, but I think starting a blog would be a good place to begin for sure.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'd start with a blog, and then branch out to a community/forum in addition to the blog, encouraging Dads to comment on the blog, before going to print.

Print is expensive; mailing and distribution are costly.

I think this is a wonderful idea, and a great way to build your audience before you run the risks of entrepreneurship.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
If you're serious about it, I highly recommend the Stanford Publishing Course. It happens every summer for two weeks. Costs a few thousand bucks, but then, your mag is gonna cost a lot more than that. Covers all the ins and outs of the business.

Yes, ideas for new magazines are often pitched to big publishers such as Hearst, etc. I don't know how receptive the climate is these days to new start-ups from people without experience in the biz. Ten years ago, it was hard enough.

You'll need a serious business plan whether you pitch it to a big house or go on you own. My main advice is don't think of doing this without serious start-up funds!

BTW, I think your idea is a good one. I do love magazines and, well, you better love yours if you're going to stick it out.

PS. I'm the former co-owner of small (but costly) magazine.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Underthecity-
AbsoluteWrite also offers a "How to Start a Magazine Course." I took the first week of it, but found it too basic for me, since I'd already had 10 years experience in publishing. But for a beginner to magazine operations--the course explained everything very well and I would highly recommend it.

AW was very nice in allowing me to exchange the course for a different one when I explained that I had underestimated my own knowledge in the field.

Also, as printing costs are, hands down, the biggest expensive for a new magazine, what about starting digital?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks for all the feedback, and after reading the first few replies, I started thinking more about the suggested alternatives.

Starting a magazine is merely an idea, not an actual plan. In the little research I conducted, I did learn how costly it is to produce and print one, and that in the first year or two, you might not see a profit.

Meanwhile, I love the ideas of the blog and/or column.

I believe I can pursue both. I can start a blog focusing on the Stay at Home Dad and invite readers to submit their own stories which can be in the replies section, or emails, and then I can talk about them.

Meanwhile, I can start pitching a column to all the parenting magazines, the kind of column I haven't seen in them. The column would be from the dad's point of view versus the rest of the magazine's focus on the mother's. If successful at landing a column, perhaps it can grow into something larger one day, a "webazine" or an actual print magazine.

Thoughts?

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Underthecity,
Sounds like you're on the right path. One thing i would add about starting a magazine from scratch... you really have to absolutely LOVE it. And not just the subject matter, but everything that goes with it... layout/design (unless you're hiring people), ad sales (Even if you hire people, no one can sell your book like you can!), managing people, owning your own business.

In fact, I would encourage you to shadow a magazine publisher for a week, or even (if it's practical) take a staff job at a magazine for a short time. That will at least let you know whether you hate it or not. Editing and publishing a magazine is very very different from writing.

It sounds like a blog and a column is a great start.

This article made me think of you: http://www.post-trib.com/lifestyles/ludwig1/1661087,ludwig0712.article

Dawn