Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
About to start Wither by Lauren DeStefano. A lot of buzz about this one so hopefully it lives up to it for me.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Water Wars by Cameron Stracher.

I...don't know what to read now, lol

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Finished DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver. Loved it, but I can see why some might not. You have to like dystopia *and* romance to enjoy it. The story is heavy on both of those.

Started THE IRON QUEEN by Julie Kagawa yesterday and will likely finish it today. All of the Iron Fey books have a strong unputdownable quality, in my opinion.

C.T. Richmond

Sloths are awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinetrichmond.com
Started THE IRON QUEEN by Julie Kagawa yesterday and will likely finish it today. All of the Iron Fey books have a strong unputdownable quality, in my opinion.

I finished THE IRON KING last night! My friend lent it to me and now I need to bug her about letting me borrow books two and three. Can't wait to finish the trilogy!

I also read CLARITY over the weekend, which I liked a lot. Fantastic protagonist (funny, strong, opinionated) and an interesting mystery overall.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed The Shifter. I feel like I've read a lot of novels in the past little while with suspicious-to-shoddy worldbuilding. This was definitely not one; a breath of fresh air, really.

Started on Liar.

JJ~

Registered
Reaction score
Book Thief. Pretty late on this one, had it for a couple years and dug it out today. Amazing so far.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Daughter of Xanadu by Dori Jones Yang

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Sarah Dessen's "Lock & Key". I picked it up at Wal-mart a couple weeks ago (lucky for me I found it there, 'cause I had it sitting in my cart on Amazon ready to buy it, but this way I didn't have to wait for shipping... lol!)

I'm LOVING it! Sarah is excellent at characterization, at weaving the backstory into the main story, and keeping you enthralled the entire time you're reading. I find it hard to put down.

:Sun:

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I really enjoyed The Shifter. I feel like I've read a lot of novels in the past little while with suspicious-to-shoddy worldbuilding. This was definitely not one; a breath of fresh air, really.

Blue Fire is just as good, if not better. Janice is amazing. Can't wait to see what she has in store once The Healing Wars Trilogy is done.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally read If I Stay. I liked it a lot, I think (it sometimes takes me a few days to digest novels, and to decide how much I really like something). I read it very quickly. In two sittings (would have finished in one, probably, if I had not started it at 11pm the previous night).

One thing that irked me throughout the novel - and it's so minor and unimportant that people will probably throw toilet paper at me - is that the main character felt she didn't quite fit in with her family, partly because of her appearance. Her entire family was blond-haired, blue-eyed, while she was a dark-eyed brunette. Er... that's just not biologically possible. Blond hair and blue eyes are recessive genes, so while two dark-eyed, dark-haired people can have a blond-haired (or red-headed), light-eyed child, the opposite cannot be true. Unless I'm totally misremembering that from school, and I'm pretty sure I'm not...

Anyway, as I say, it's not really important. But it bugged me. :D

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Blue Fire is just as good, if not better. Janice is amazing. Can't wait to see what she has in store once The Healing Wars Trilogy is done.
Great-- I'll pick it up!

Blond hair and blue eyes are recessive genes, so while two dark-eyed, dark-haired people can have a blond-haired (or red-headed), light-eyed child, the opposite cannot be true. Unless I'm totally misremembering that from school, and I'm pretty sure I'm not...
You're not. At least about the eyes-- I guess hair 'shades' can vary. So I won't throw TP.

I ripped through L1AR, and since I was reading it cold (no idea about the premise), Part Two was a v. cool surprise for me (not a surprise in retrospect so it was well done).
Then I read What I Saw and How I Lied-- also really good.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finally read If I Stay. I liked it a lot, I think (it sometimes takes me a few days to digest novels, and to decide how much I really like something). I read it very quickly. In two sittings (would have finished in one, probably, if I had not started it at 11pm the previous night).

One thing that irked me throughout the novel - and it's so minor and unimportant that people will probably throw toilet paper at me - is that the main character felt she didn't quite fit in with her family, partly because of her appearance. Her entire family was blond-haired, blue-eyed, while she was a dark-eyed brunette. Er... that's just not biologically possible. Blond hair and blue eyes are recessive genes, so while two dark-eyed, dark-haired people can have a blond-haired (or red-headed), light-eyed child, the opposite cannot be true. Unless I'm totally misremembering that from school, and I'm pretty sure I'm not...

Anyway, as I say, it's not really important. But it bugged me. :D

I totally forgot that part about it. Not even sure why it was put in there??

I got bugged by a similar thing in Beatle Meets Destiny. On the second page the author claims that all twins who are born a day or so apart have to be fraternal twins because identicals must share the same birth sac. Actually, it's not at all true. Some identicals do have separate birth sacs and it depends on what point in embryonic development the cells separate completely. It caught my attention because my dad's a twin, born 3 days apart from his brother and we've always maintained that they're identical (he may not be because they never had DNA testing, but I like to think they are). It bugged me for like the first 50 pages because the author makes such a huge deal of it, states it as a fact, and it's completely wrong. But I set my angst aside in order to enjoy the story, which was really good. But if you want to be bugged about authors getting science wrong -- I'll PM you that one if you want. :)

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score

I got bugged by a similar thing in Beatle Meets Destiny. On the second page the author claims that all twins who are born a day or so apart have to be fraternal twins because identicals must share the same birth sac. Actually, it's not at all true. Some identicals do have separate birth sacs and it depends on what point in embryonic development the cells separate completely. It caught my attention because my dad's a twin, born 3 days apart from his brother and we've always maintained that they're identical (he may not be because they never had DNA testing, but I like to think they are). It bugged me for like the first 50 pages because the author makes such a huge deal of it, states it as a fact, and it's completely wrong. But I set my angst aside in order to enjoy the story, which was really good. But if you want to be bugged about authors getting science wrong -- I'll PM you that one if you want. :)

You're right, identicals can have two sacs. I never knew that until a couple years ago. There was a whole Discovery Channel special about that, and if you look it up on Wikipedia, it'll tell the same things about identical twins as you stated here.
;)

It's not too late for your dad & his twin to get tested, by the way. It might be neat to find out.... :D

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
It's not too late for your dad & his twin to get tested, by the way. It might be neat to find out.... :D

I'd love to find out, but they're ornery old men and I don't think they care. Also my uncle lives in Texas so it'd be kind of hard to coordinate. :)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I didn't know about the twins/birth sac thing. However, your dad was born three days apart from his brother?! Your poor grandmother...

The I'm-nothing-like-my-family-I-don't-even-look-like-them thing always annoys me in books, but in this case, even more so, since it's not even possible. It's such a minor annoyance, though, and really doesn't make a difference in the book, so I hope that won't turn anyone off from reading it. It's worth reading.

For what it's worth, though, in The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things (one of my favorite books), the INLMFIDELLT story line works very well, in my opinion. In that novel, the misfit family member is a) blonde, while the rest of the family has dark hair (which is actually possible!), and b) stocky and overweight, while the rest of the family is thin and lanky.

Anyway... if you guys are using INLMFIDELLT in your novels, keep this in mind. :rolleyes:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm reading I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Shroeder and I will fully admit to buying it based only on the front and back cover. It was 40% off at Superstore. I passed by it in a rush. Stopped, picked it up, flip it over for a quick, cursory glance at the back blurb and hustled to the check out.
Well... I've learned my lesson and will not do that again! I so cannot get into this novel length book in VERSE. I find it distracting, irritating and well... not so greatly written.

So wondering if anyone else has read it, or what other's think of books in verse?

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is next for me. I'll probably start reading it tomorrow.

And then it's time for a new Amazon purchase (and wandergirl's book will be definitely be among my purchases!).

Status
Not open for further replies.