Do eBook Purchasers Resent Free Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoAl

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My first book was based on one of my blogs. The content was quite similar, although I added some things to the book.

Do you think that readers might resent finding that the content they paid money for is available for free?

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I think it depends on the type and popularity of the blog, and whether all that content is still available to peruse on the blog itself.
A similar example that comes to mind is Hyperbole and a Half. Allie Brosh compiled a book containing (as far as I know) a lot of her popular blog stories/illustrations and added some new things, but I'm pretty sure everyone that buys it knows what they're buying if they follow her.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
I agree with RevanWright: it depends. If most of the content is freely available and someone unaware who bought the book finds out...they might resent it. But it depends on the person, the content, how similar the content is to the original blog content. A lot of factors are at work here. Personally, I probably wouldn't mind. There are a lot of sites out there that put out book versions of their content -- it's a trend I've been seeing for a while. I can't imagine many people would fault you for doing the same thing...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If it is basically identical and that fact is not disclosed and the ebook was fairly pricey, yes. I have disputed a payment, and won, on that basis.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes a more convenient format is worth paying for (if readers prefer ebooks to scrolling onscreen, for example). But on it's own it's not worth *that* much more, IMO. I wouldn't pay much more $1.99 for a well-organized series of blog posts.

On the only hand, new content mixed with old (like Allie Brosh's book) would be well worth paying for.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I would just be as upfront as possible about it. Make it clear in the blurb that the book is based on a blog.

Or, you could remove the old blog content. I originally posted one of my books as an online serial. When I was ready to publish it, I gave a warning on the blog that the content would be coming down in a few weeks so that if anyone wanted to finish reading it for free they could.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it's not disclosed, yeah people would be peeved I'd think.

I've bought books that were based off sites but the sites were clear that the books had whatever level of new content and I decided based on that + how much I liked the content and it's clear on the books that the websites are the basis.

I've also bought a memoir based off a blog that was, again, made clear right on the book. If it wasn't and I later found out, I'd have been pissed.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
In agreement with everyone above. If your book contains new content that is not available on the blog and you make it clear that much of the book was taken from the blog, it's okay.

I have bought books and when I read them realized I was reading blog posts and nothing in the book indicated that. That made me pretty damn mad.

PianoAl

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the input. For my next book, I'm adding a lot of book-only content, so it won't be much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.