Weird adults writing for weird kids.

sempervi

I had an interesting conversation with my friend/reviewer the other day, about what level of prose is appropriate for certain age groups. My first manuscript (my first finished novel, with many in progress) has a MC who is 10-11, and is very intelligent, very wordy, and a little strange, attending a private school of similarly intelligent and sheltered kids. My friend said that although she could perhaps come off as a ten-year-old, she doesn't talk like one, and doesn't act like one, not exactly - apparently she comes off, at first blush, more like a twelve-year-old. (The trouble is that this is hard to change... my book has a whole mythos arranged around ages and grades.)

Which surprised me, both because it simply hadn't occurred to me, and because when I was ten, I was probably around the same level of wordiness and maturity (at least when paying attention). She's an odd, clever kid, and in my experience, odd, clever kids are more self-possessed and mature than their peers. I guess my question is this: when writing children's/YA, do you write to what most kids of that age are like, or just what you think this character is like? I usually throw my hands up in the air and try and write books that I would have read when I was that age - I was a weird kid, so I only really feel confident/comfortable writing weird kids - but now I'm slightly (only slightly) worried that this might make my story hard to categorize. Which doesn't bother me overmuch, but might bother editors. Is it a handicap to write books that you know will appeal to slightly geeky, avid young readers, even if it would probably appeal to most kids anyway? Thoughts?

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't make a difference at all, whatsoever. Preschoolers, school-age, pre-teens, teens and even adults come in a rainbow of personalities. Yes, you will find a few students who have a more advanced vocab, or outlook on life as you had. These students interact with other students on campus so, students who may not be the same as the character you are portraying will know someone who is. There is no 'average type' in any age group. Your reader may not have identified with your MC, but that doesn't mean another one wouldn't. Also, do a little research. Read books that are written for your age range. Volunteer at schools to see how kids in that age range react to each other, or their teachers.
Hope this helps!
TL

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Be true to your character. There are so many different personalities out there (thankfully) that you'll surely find someone who can resonate with your MC.

My 12 year old MC is a smart, articulate kid too and she doesn't hide that fact when she's around other kids or adults. She's pretty secure in that aspect of her personality.

Try not to worry yet. When you start submitting, listen to what the agents/editors say. They'll let you know if it's a handicap.

As a reader, I like weird. :)

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I like to believe that everybody's weird -- kids included.

I find that, in general, when writers try to make their characters "representative" of a certain group (age group, ethnic group, social class, etc.), the truth and resonance of their writing suffers for it. Make your character believable, of course, but also make your character true. Specifics resonate; generalities don't.

Plus, weirdness resonates a lot more with readers than normalcy. Many of the most beloved characters (in books, as well as in movies and TV) are the outcasts and oddballs of society. This might indicate that while so many of us conform in our day-to-day lives, we like our entertainment to reflect some of that hidden weirdness we share.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the opinion of another adult that the child isn't "childlike enough"?

Pffffft.

Trust your own instincts. Make her a real person, not someone's idea of "a child."

Last edited:

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I seriously thought this thread was going to be a rant about pedophiles or something, and I have nothing constructive for you.

So... what everyone else said.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
Kids don't like to be talked-down-to. (No one does, really.) There are very smart kids out there. They read. They want to read about smart kids.

I know I did.

If that is how your character is, I'm sure kids out there will love your book.

Don't dumb it down, please! Think of the children. :)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I was going to say exactly what OverTheHills wrote so I won't repeat, however, as the mother of an odd, clever 10yr old girl I can tell you she'd probably throw the book down, call the author a "poser" and step on it on her way out to find another book if she felt she was being spoken down to. Harsh? That's MG, baby... ;)

GO gettum! Believe in your story!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
even dumb kids like to read about interesting unique weird kids.

not that I know this from personal experience.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna inject a little devil's advocate into this little lovefest.

I'm not entirely sure how your friend can tell the difference between a ten-year-old and a twelve-year-old, exactly....but I do think voice is extremely important, and it's easy for grown-ups to miss the target. So, having never read your book, I can't say. And if only one person has that response, then I wouldn't worry about it. But I wouldn't dismiss the comment without taking a hard look at my character and listening with an open mind for spots that just don't quite sound young enough. It can be such simple things--changing verbs to contractions, for example--or using simpler clauses. I just know that although I never, ever like what my beta readers have to say, they're always right. That's why they're my beta readers!

So I guess my question is, do you trust your friend's opinion? If you do, then work on your character's voice.