The Bouncy Castle in Space

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Tornados are so scary. A town is there, then it's gone. By far the most heart breaking thing was news of that little girl who was found alone in the field. That poor family.

So glad all the kidlitters and their pets are doing okay.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'm going to be publishing a collection of MG shorts from various authors. I'm paying for editing and the cover, we'll make it free, but any profit would go to a kids charity.

The way it will work is each author will include a short, and an except from their book. I know most of the kidlit gang aren't self-pubing, but I figured I'd mention it just in case anyone wanted to be included.

All the stories will be reviewed by me and two others before inclusion, so it's not an automatic entry, but I'll put in a good word for kidlit regulars.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a deadline for when entries can be submitted. And I think I misunderstood, you mean excerpt from full novels?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
mware - I'd love to submit, but I don't think any of my shorts would be the quality you're wanting. The only time I can manage a short story is when i attempt the monthly prompts. Otherwise, I just go on, and on, and on, and on.

Sounds like an intriguing project, though. Keep us posted, please.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
^ Same here. I can't write short stories, and like oh man! I just discovered one can buy books free from Amazon. I downloaded the Kindle PC and have been getting free books ever since.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I didn't do a good job explaining. The idea is to cross-promote our novels (traditionally, or self-pubed).
So all the authors are going to submit a short story (preferably summer camp themed.) After each story they'll be a link to an except from your novel (these are in the back of the book).

The idea is that some of our readers, say someone who likes the Priscilla The Great series will see that Sybil Nelson, its author, has included a short story. So they'll download a free copy of this ebook to read that, but they'll also read Lura Lund's work and maybe go out a buy one of her Lakeland knight books.

So, it's really for authors who have or are going to have books coming out and want to include a short.
Because it's going to be free, I don't anticipate much $$$ going to charity (a little might, as sometimes you can't make a book free in every country on Amazon).

Sissy, I don't know the quality of your shorts, per se. But I know your writing is more than good enough. Still, unless you have a book coming out it won't really benefit you or a charity.

HOWEVER, this totally gives me an idea. The kidlit gang could turn our writing prompts (some of them blow me away) into an ebook and give all the proceeds to a charity!
I don't have the time or funds to sponsor it right now. But after this one's done, I might be game.

Anyone interested? I'm thinking a 99¢ ebook with all the profits going to a children's charity of some sort. It would take a while to get everything done, but we could aim for around Christmas and I might be willing to pick up all the costs myself.

I'm sure we could make a bit of cash for some good cause. If there's some interest, I'll put the idea on the back-burner, speak with some editors about providing free or discounted services and see where it goes.

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested, to get something published so my name is starting to get out there would be pretty cool and I might be able to have something by Christmas. I have nothing published now so I guess you're current idea would exclude me.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I would be interested, to get something published so my name is starting to get out there would be pretty cool and I might be able to have something by Christmas. I have nothing published now so I guess you're current idea would exclude me.

No, anyone is welcome to submit (though I realize I did make it sound that way). Instead of a book sample, we could post a link to your blog, webpage, etc.

I think the deadline will be April 1st. The other two authors I mentioned before are working on it with me and we haven't worked out all the details, but will soon.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I busted a cute little fourth grade girl sneaking a nekkid-lady magazine out to the playground to giggle over during after-school yesterday. That makes a pretty good short story prompt, methinks :D

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I busted a cute little fourth grade girl sneaking a nekkid-lady magazine out to the playground to giggle over during after-school yesterday. That makes a pretty good short story prompt, methinks :D

Yes, as long as you make it kid appropriate =-)

Did she get in big trouble? I think I would have cried if that happened to me in 4th grade, my mom would have freaked!

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
No, anyone is welcome to submit (though I realize I did make it sound that way). Instead of a book sample, we could post a link to your blog, webpage, etc.

I think the deadline will be April 1st. The other two authors I mentioned before are working on it with me and we haven't worked out all the details, but will soon.

I don't have a webpage D= I suppose I could make one though. I've been pondering a blog. Is there a certain theme you're looking for?

A fourth grader was looking at magazine like that? Where in the world did she get it? *Shakes head* This world is so screwed up.

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a rumor going around in the Office Party that it's Kitty Pryde's birthday...

Have a happy one Kitty!!

Hi everyone elses! :hi:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why thank you! I haven't been around much lately because i've been studying for a test (cset). But I took it yesterday! And now I am the birthday princess! My terribly naughty student brought me a card and a gift this morning: candy, a protein bar, and Bubble Tape! I didnt even know Bubble Tape still existed.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Bday kitteh girl!

In honor of the day, how about a story?

Chapter 1: The creepy night
One night, a cat was walking in the woods. The cat climbed a tree. The tree fell on the cat.

Chapter 2: The creepy of the in-coming
A werewolf helped the cat. The werewolf brought the cat home.

Chapter 3: There's a zombie in the house!
Later in the night, a zombie snuck in an open window. It sucked the cat's blood.

Chapter 4: The fight outside
The werewolf fought the zombie outside. The werewolf picked the zombie's eyes out. It was dead.

Chapter 5: The celebration
The werewolf healed the cat and turned back into a man, as the sun rose.

The end

Genuine first-grade writing. I can't decide if I am the greatest teacher ever for encouraging such creativity, or the worst teacher ever for allowing horror stories in the lower grades...

Hopefully none of my students get nightmares tonight.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, that's so cool.

My son's stories usually involve things like medieval pumpkin slayers. Even a Valentine activity turned into skewered skeletons. Lovely. :)

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Kitty!

Judy, you're definitely the greatest teacher ever. I love the story.

Ruth, great video! His description of the pictures are the best.