Snooki on NYT list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't need luck. She needs a make-over.

Aside from that, she had a ghostwriter. And she's been making enough money from whatever she does to live okay for the next few decades.

If she doesn't spend it all on beer and getting blitzed at the beach.

and fall off bicycles:)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the ghostwriter is making enough money to retire and live on a beach somewhere. He/she earned it.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
She doesn't need luck. She needs a make-over.

Aside from that, she had a ghostwriter. And she's been making enough money from whatever she does to live okay for the next few decades.

If she doesn't spend it all on beer and getting blitzed at the beach.

Whatever. I still don't know who she is, but only because I chose not to go and find out. Best of luck would be to anyone who got published. ;)

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how does she make the NYT's bestseller list while, at the same time, tanking?

I would suspect it's from the pre-sales...

I can only relate from my own experience working in a warehouse, but books go out in skids and skids before being released. The bookstores pre-order tons and tons of copies in anticipation of a big sale.

About 30 days AFTER the book is released... skids and skids come back in of returned books. So you can have a "bestseller" based on pre-orders going out to bookstores and then have it tank a month later when all those books come rolling back into the warehouse.

I'd expect to see it on the bargain table by spring.

;)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Whatever. I still don't know who she is, but only because I chose not to go and find out. Best of luck would be to anyone who got published.
She got pubbed because (a) she had a ghostwriter and (b) she's a celebrity. You don't have to know her or who she is. (I mean that is what this thread is about anyway....) It's how she got published.
Sheryl Nantus said:
I'd expect to see it on the bargain table by spring
Agree.

Last edited:

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I A guy who looks just like me once got arrested in the same town and had the exact same charge of N.J.S.A. 2C:33-2.

Thought I'd chime in with that.

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how does she make the NYT's bestseller list while, at the same time, tanking?

Two things come into play here.

First, it's not how many copies her book sells in a week, it's how many copies her book sells in a week relative to the sales of other books in that week. She could sell ten copies in a week, which would be an abysmal failure, and so long as no other book sold ten copies that week, she'd be a #1 bestseller.

Second, it's not how many copies her book sells in a week, it's WHERE they sell. No one knows EXACTLY how the NYT list is built, but it's at least in part a reported list (ie, a set of bookstores submit their sales figures to the powers that be on a weekly basis). So long as her book is a bestseller in those particular stores, she's got a fair crack at making the list.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh so much. That Jersey shore exists at all makes me feel simultaneously old, out of touch, and completely pessimistic about our future.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sigh so much. That Jersey shore exists at all makes me feel simultaneously old, out of touch, and completely pessimistic about our future.
No! No! That's not the Jersey Shore! No! stormie runs around AW yelling. (I know you mean the show.)

Anyway, they're just a bunch of actors, told to "amp it up," they do, they get arrested, and then they go home to NY. And do book signings for their ghostwritten books.

Seaside Heights in the daytime is very tame. Even at night it's not that bad. The bars get rowdy but that's the norm in many places. It's about a half-hour south of my town and we did see one taping. We accidently got on one of the shows. I wanted to get by and they were filming. I didn't care; they were in my way. So stormie me pushed through. That footage probably landed on the cutting room floor, next to Snooki passed out.

ETA: Posted in haste, regret it was said. They aren't actors.

Last edited:

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
You beat me to it - there is no way she wrote it herself.

She did write it herself. If you look at excerpts from her novel, it's all her. A ghostwriter would have written it MUCH better than she did.

One thing I don't understand is why people think it's so great that fans of hers are at least reading. Assuming they'll read more, it'll likely be more junk novels like hers, and what's that doing? Nothing. They might as well be watching television if they're going to read something like that. Nothing wrong with junk fiction. It has its place, but I just don't understand why people are happy her fans are reading at all.

Most literary fanatics want people to read because it can be intellectually stimulating. Snooki's book...doubt it.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Most literary fanatics want people to read because it can be intellectually stimulating. Snooki's book...doubt it.

I'm not so sure about this statement, Jules. First, it's not just "literary fanatics" who are encouraged when the normally TV-bound read. It's people like me, who hope they will be turned onto reading and explore the multitude of genre options.
And the reason for that isn't just because it's "intellectually stimulating" it's because, frankly and from my perspective, if everyone stopped watching TV and started reading there'd be a larger market for my books, making it more likely I'll be published and more likely that once published my books will sell.
More than that, I like the idea that people enjoy the same things I do - good stories, well told, using the most of our wonderful language.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
She did write it herself. If you look at excerpts from her novel, it's all her. A ghostwriter would have written it MUCH better than she did.

Valerie Frankel is Snooki's ghostwriter:
http://www.valeriefrankel.com/

One thing I don't understand is why people think it's so great that fans of hers are at least reading. Assuming they'll read more, it'll likely be more junk novels like hers, and what's that doing? Nothing. They might as well be watching television if they're going to read something like that. Nothing wrong with junk fiction. It has its place, but I just don't understand why people are happy her fans are reading at all.

Um, because some of us write (and *gasp* read) those novels you call junk. There are times when I read for, as you put it, the intellectual stimulation. Other times, I simply want to be entertained without too much brain strain. There's room for all kinds of stories out there.

MarkEsq said it: more readers = a bigger market, which means better sales for us writers. I would love a world with more readers and more people who appreciate a good story.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Anyway, they're just a bunch of actors

Please don't insult actors :) . They are a bunch a fame junkies who, yes, play for the camera. But actors? Real actors? No. They don't have the talent, the dedication, or the love of acting that real actors have. They are nothing like actors.

Ehem. Sorry. Felt a need to defend my honour :) .

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Please don't insult actors :) . They are a bunch a fame junkies who, yes, play for the camera. But actors? Real actors? No. They don't have the talent, the dedication, or the love of acting that real actors have. They are nothing like actors.

Fair enough.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score

Yup. I've yet to see a reality show with real actors. The real actors are in the TV dramas and comedies that have not yet been killed by cheaper-to-produce reality TV. Thank God.

Though SyFy has permanently lost my business by replacing the brilliant CAPRICA with reality garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.