The Line of the Day--NO CRITTING

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Nice lines. Sounds interesting, HS. Never liked Quija boards much.

Well, it's not the first line, but it is from my NaNo WIP. This is from the prologue and in the POV of the killer.

The first one had been easy, one simple slice with the knife, and the gurgle of his victim choking on her own blood.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I just looked up "planchette." Very cool, HS.

From CHERRY:

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you need to cry some more? You sound like you might need to cry some more.”

“No, I think I’m all done. Thanks, though.”

We looked at each other. I could barely see his face but I didn’t need to. I reached up and pressed my palm against his cheek.

He moved into it.

davidh219

Walking Anachronism
Registered
Reaction score
Idk if this counts as a "line" but, hey, I'd like to be able to give at least a little context. Sue me.

"I'm offering you a trade, a craft, a profession--and not just any profession. I promise that you will touch more lives and end more suffering than a hundred priests and a hundred doctors ever could."

His eyes were gleaming like jewels and his mouth was agape. If he started to drool soon it wouldn't surprise me. I could tell he wanted me to say yes more than anything else in the world, and the thought of answering either way frightened me. "Who says I want to end suffering?"

Faust laughed. "Why must we play these games? You were meant for so much more than a beggar's life. We both know it. You and I are a rare breed. You may have noticed throughout your short life that things usually turn out your way. You may think it luck. You may think it divine favor. Truth be told I don't know what it is, but I can teach you how to use it, and it will make you so much more than a beggar."

He took a coin out of his pocket and with a flick of his thumb sent it flying back over his shoulder. It spun in the air, catching the light of the candle. It hit his desk, bounced off at an awkward angle and, still spinning wildly, hit the base of an ornate staff that was leaning against the wall. The staff began to slide along the wall, picking up speed as it fell. The tip of the staff just missed the candle sitting on the edge of the table by a hair's width, but the wind from its' descent was enough to put out the flame and we were plunged into darkness.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
This thread always gets busier during NaNo season. :) Here's mine for the day.

[FONT=&quot]Just don’t take yourself so seriously with all your Spiritualism antics that you invite something in that you can’t get rid of. That’s all.”
[/FONT]

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Spooky, HS. Never mess with things you don't fully understand, or be ready to face the consequences.

Love the line, OSG. :Thumbs:

Not a new line, and actually more than one. (For context.) Kelli and Eric are at the ME's office checking to see what, if anything, the ME can tell them about their vic. This is the end of the scene.

“Give me a call as soon as you have something, Jack.”

“First thing,” he said as he flipped his face shield back down and turned toward the autopsy table. “You just try to stay off my table, Detective,” he called out as he powered up the Stryker saw.

Eric gave Kelli a puzzled look and she shook her head.

“Inside joke,” she said and pushed through the doors. “Jack has a sick sense of humor. I think it comes with the job.”

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, I know I just posted, but I have to get this one up. :D

Kelli and Eric are paying a visit to her old friend Gregory Larsen at the DEA, and Kelli gets confirmation on just who the victim was and what he did for a living. Of course Kelli doesn't let it phase her.

“A hit man? So, if he had my name and address, that means I could have been his target. But if that’s true, who killed him, and why?”

Larsen shook his head and shrugged. “It’s possible that whoever contracted him changed their mind, and he was going to go ahead with the hit anyway. The only way you’re going to know for sure is to find out who put the contract out on you.”

“Yeah, and while I’m at it, maybe I can find out who killed Jimmy Hoffa.”

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
I guess I'm on a roll today. :D Finally broke the iceblock and the words are flowing.

This is from the current scene I'm writing. Kelli is meeting with FBI Special Agent Jacob Petrov of the Criminal, Cyber, Response and Services Branch, or CCRSB. They are discussing a high level member of the Russian Mafia whom Kelli has crossed paths with during the course of her investigation.

Petrov walked around to the other side of his desk, plopped down in his government issued office chair and looked at Kelli “Ivan Buryakov and his Bratva have been a pain in my ass for years.”

“Well, he’s fast becoming a pain in my ass too. And just what in the hell is a brat—brat—.”

Bratva, it means brotherhood. How much do you know about the Russian Mafia, other than what you’ve seen in the movies or on television that is?”

Kelli looked at him and shrugged. “Not a hell of a lot, other than that they’re a bunch of ruthless bastards.”

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Hot off the presses! Kelli is talking to FBI Special Agent Jacob Petrov about the Russian Mafia and the murder of one of their people. This is the end of the scene.

“Sure, I understand. Just do me a favor and keep me updated on this. I’m interested to see where it goes.”

Kelli smiled and nodded. “I don’t see a problem with that. Okay, consider yourself in the loop,” she said as she turned to leave. “The thing is, right now I have no idea where this is going, and that scares me.”

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Good stuff Ken. Glad to hear they're talking to you again...

Thanks, OSG. I still have to step lightly around Kelli. Not to give anything away, but she and Kevin are on the outs. So, she's just a bit touchy and the smallest thing can set her off. Heck, the other day she went for the last piece of cake and I said something and she threw it at me, plate and all! :scared:

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Another line hot off the press! (Yes, I'm actually getting some writing done!) End of scene with Kelli and Agent Larsen, still at the bar. Larsen has just revealed that the cousin of Miguel Garcia is now in charge of the Cartel.

Kelli looked at him and shook her head. “What’s that got to do with me? Garcia is dead, and as far as I’m concerned, his cousin is none of my business.”

“Unless he comes after you, or more specifically, us, to avenge his cousin,” he said and tossed back the remainder of his drink.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Wow! All of that wordage over in the 500 Word a Day thread, and no one has any lines to post? Well, okay, I'll take up the slack. ;) The words on my WIP seem to be flowing lately.

This is from a scene I just wrote today. Kelli is at the Squad and her Lt., Frank Cummins, has just shown her some photos that were received the previous evening showing Kelli and her partner Eric, as well as her and Kevin walking up to her house.

“I take it you didn’t find any prints,” she said as she put the photos down, picked up the envelope and looked it over. “No return address. Was there at least some kind of note?”

“Yeah, it’s still being processed though, but I did get them to make a copy,” he said as he picked up a sheet of paper and handed it to her. “Not much to go on though.”

Kelli took the page and read it over, but Frank was right, it wasn’t much to go on. It simply read, Muerte. She set the page back on the desk and looked at Frank. “We need to talk.”

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Just you and me in here, Ken! Well, having actually written something today, here's a line.

She reattached the slide and sighted it along the range to make sure it was set. “Give me five minutes and I’ll be done here. Wait for me upstairs.”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“I told you not to call me that,” she said, slotting the magazine back into the reassembled pistol.
“Yes, ma’am,” he said, making a fast exit.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Another new line, hot off the presses!

Kelli and Eric are following the Russian Mob boss they suspect in the murder of one of his men. They have followed him to a warehouse in Bensonhurst that belongs to a member of the Italian Mafia, a top man in one of the Five Families. Eric is having his doubts about the case.

“How are we going to get anything on this guy if the Feds have been watching him for years and have zip on the son of a bitch?”​

“What, you don’t think we have a chance of nailing this SOB? Remember, we’re NYPD, not FBI or DEA, and you know by now that once I get my teeth into a case, I don’t quit,” she said as she started the car. “If you think this is a waste of time, then I guess I’ll just take you back to the Precinct and drop you off.”​

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
On a roll today, and just wrapped up another chapter. I just wrote this, and it follows the scene above. Kelli is sitting in a bar in Chelsea, actually hoping to run in to DEA Agent Larsen off duty. Things get hot, fast!

He nodded as he stood and almost backed in to a server, narrowly missing the tray she was carrying. “Yeah, uh, just a couple of blocks from here,” he said, pointing to his left. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

She grabbed his collar, pulled him close and kissed him hard on the lips. “Does that answer your question?”