Online courses, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Word Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has ever taken an online writing course?

If so, which one and how did you like it/not like it?

I know Writer's Digest offers courses as well as The Writer's Store. Then there's always Gotham Writer's Classes.

Man, I hate being a newbie on a forum. The questions!

But thanks for your help. I appreciate anything you could share.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I've taken two courses with Gotham, and one each with Writer's Digest and the London School of Journalism. Both Gotham and Writer's Digest were very good (LSJ not so much). While Gotham and WD workshops include group critiques, I would say those are typically a lot less useful than the instructor feedback (and sometimes the classes are extremely quiet, with people dropping out in the middle because they realize it's more work than they're willing to put in).

So I'd say, browse the class schedules for Gotham and WD, see if you recognize any of the instructors' names, and if you have specific questions, post them here and we'll try to answer them.

Good luck,

Rye-Ting

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I just posted this elsewhere. Forward Motion has a free online writing course held every month. The current one is on Description. September's hasn't been announced yet.

The first one I took was extremely helpful. It was on viewpoint and had us write a scene from all the different viewpoints. I learned a lot from it, enough that I changed the viewpoint of my book to something I'd never tried before.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Years ago I took the Writer's Digest Novel Writing workshop, but that was by mail --too early for online. It was very helpful and I would recommend it. It's probably much more managable now online, instead of waiiting for the mail every week. I liked the fact that I worked directly with one teacher and she was experienced in my genre. The novel I wrote for the workshop eventually became my first pubbed book.

I also took a creative writing course by mail through the Iowa Writer's Program, but that was general and not specific to my genre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.