The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Let's see, I finished a short story for the Attic Toys anthology yesterday and sent it off then sent out three stories that had been just sitting on my computer waiting to go back out. Today, I wrote about 1,700 words on my novel. I probably won't be writing any new shorts until I get this novel draft finished but I'll still be hanging out here anyway, if you let me. :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I don't know what the over-riding feeling on them here is. I'd guess it's the usual, though; do your research before you submit and you'll be fine.

Pay on publication or even up to 30 days after is quite common and shouldnt raise any red flags.
Cool. Thanks, guys. I don't know why that suddenly caught my attention, it never had before. I won't worry about it too much, just research the pub like normal, regardless of the pay on publication term.
Let's see, I finished a short story for the Attic Toys anthology yesterday and sent it off then sent out three stories that had been just sitting on my computer waiting to go back out. Today, I wrote about 1,700 words on my novel. I probably won't be writing any new shorts until I get this novel draft finished but I'll still be hanging out here anyway, if you let me. :)
Go, Faerydancer! I need to do the same thing--get those shorts on my computer out the door.

I did turn my AW antho R story back around last night. So that's a start.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finished the major revisions to The Collections Agent. Now it's with my beta to see if it actually hangs together. Then, final edits and off on submission.

NaNo starts next week so I'm diving back into the novel, trying to get my momentum going and finally finish off this draft. Also trying to rewrite The Dragonwife (which is finally starting to gel in my head).

Happy Monday, folks! :)

Duncable

I iz a lady, ppl. Srsly.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I got my first rejection the other day from the AW antho, I magically had a story to submit this month! :D Sent that off yesterday morning.

I'm also pretty close to finishing up a short, and I've got another editing pass planned this weekend for a flash I finished recently. So I should have 2 stories both written and subbed this month!

ETA: Best of luck on NaNo, everyone! I think I'll tackle that monster next year, I still tremble at the thought!

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The lengths to which I'll go to avoid writing today... I spent this evening doing this:

* Applied for SFWA Associate membership (for which I qualify now, yay!)
* Reviewed all contracts from sold fiction and updated my spreadsheet with dates upon which the rights revert back to me.
* Submitted anything that was complete and sitting on my hard drive. I'm at 16 submissions currently, which is the highest number of stories I've ever had out (though it includes 2 reprint subs).
* Checked Duotrope obsessively to confirm that a number of my subs are way past average response times. *twitch*
* Checked AW forums. Twice.

So yeah. I'm being lazy today and avoiding doing actual writing at all costs. But it's OK, because I put some words on paper yesterday, and will do so again tomorrow.

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't subbed anything yet, but I finished up a short story today that I need to edit & polish for submission this week. It's deadline approaches! Eek!

Then, I have a 2nd short story I finished the rough draft of that needs a good editing and polishing to maybe submit next week or maybe next month. I haven't really decided which W1S1 I'm doing, weekly or monthly.

With Nanowrimo next month I don't know how much short story writing I'll do. Though judging from my last 3 years efforts at Nano I should have plenty of time to do that. *facepalm*

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The lengths to which I'll go to avoid writing today... I spent this evening doing this:

* Reviewed all contracts from sold fiction and updated my spreadsheet with dates upon which the rights revert back to me.
* Submitted anything that was complete and sitting on my hard drive. I'm at 16 submissions currently, which is the highest number of stories I've ever had out (though it includes 2 reprint subs).
* Checked Duotrope obsessively to confirm that a number of my subs are way past average response times. *twitch*

So yeah. I'm being lazy today and avoiding doing actual writing at all costs. But it's OK, because I put some words on paper yesterday, and will do so again tomorrow.

SWFA!
Congratulations :)

I signed up to NaNo to avoid doing the writing I ought to be doing, and to do some silly unimportant writing instead.

That's the ultimate prevarication.
Writing a novel to avoid finishing one particular short story :)

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman

That's all writing related though so it counts! Plus, congrats how is the process for swfa do you have to wait long to be approved?

SWFA!
Congratulations :)

I signed up to NaNo to avoid doing the writing I ought to be doing, and to do some silly unimportant writing instead.

That's the ultimate prevarication.
Writing a novel to avoid finishing one particular short story :)

:) Starting something new always seems easier than finishing anything... which is why I have so many unfinished stories!

I already made my month write/sub so I slacked off a bit and went NaNo crazy. I'd like to finish a short I started a few days ago but we'll see how long it takes me. That is if I can stay off Google+!

I'm thinking of polishing up a piece of flash for womenonwriting contest. Anyone ever sub there before?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's all writing related though so it counts! Plus, congrats how is the process for swfa do you have to wait long to be approved?

Thanks! Far as I know it shouldn't be very long. The application asks for a copy of the contract for the qualifying story and a link to the published work. I provided both. I think it's likely that I'll hear back by the end of the week.

You'll know when it happens, because I will be bouncing around this forum while squealing with excitement :)

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
I have all these ideas, and now I have to actually, you know, write stories for them, which is going to be tough the next couple months. But I'll work it out.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! First "real" (i.e. beta-readable) draft of my W1S1 for the month complete today. Had a bit of trouble with it for a while there--its content disturbed me and I had problems piecing it together.
Glad I didn't rush it for the earlier Pedestal deadline which had a restriction of 1500 words (which it was in the actual first draft). It's now about 2700 words and a much better story (I think?) at that length.

Anyhoo, off to get a bit of a rest from it--will probably work on my Novel Challenge plan. :)

Last edited:

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
just sent my first ever W1S1 story to Clarkesworld

there's another story that i want to spruce up and polish before sending it to Ideomancer, although I have to be quick as they're closing for submissions in November.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Good luck, GCU!

I'm going to print my October Write1 out and go at it with a pencil today. Too many scenes are just too rough still and staring at the computer screen isn't helping them.

Been really thinking about the Novel Challenge. Getting excited, but still having a hard time deciding which novel I'm going to (re)write. I can probably pull off the straight fantasy one and probably pull off the paranormal/urban fantasy one, but it's the one that's more scifi that keeps talking to me. And I'm not sure I have the scifi chops to write it. :e2bummed: I hate to spend a whole year on something that risky, yet...there it is, in my head EVERY DAY.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sealey: If/when you need eyes on that October story, e-mail it my way.

...and I'm still too scared to attempt a novel. Probably next year.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's seems I'm flirting with disaster at Strange Horizons. They're sending out rejections all around my story. Blech.

Best to ignore it.

Worked a bit on the horrerotica for the October challenge, but it's going slowly. Still working on getting the novel in gear again. It seems to be coming together in my head. Whether it will look as clean on paper as it does in my brain is another question.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a readable draft of my October story, need someone to actually read it though. I really do have to work on my novel, but also have a play do in a couple hours (well, parts, a student in directing class already picked mine from the scenes he had available, so I guess that means I have to finish is one day)

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I submitted my first story. In my excitement at deciding it was as polished as it was going to get in the next couple of days, I neglected to notice I was cleaning out my "dump" email address. So, I sent my submission from an email I essentially never use. :eek:

Unsure of the etiquette in this situation, I sent a 2nd email with my real email explaining my lapse of sanity and apologizing profusely for the extraneous email during a time when submissions were most likely high.

*facepalm*

So, I've submitted and now should be committed.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, I submitted my first story. In my excitement at deciding it was as polished as it was going to get in the next couple of days, I neglected to notice I was cleaning out my "dump" email address. So, I sent my submission from an email I essentially never use. :eek:

Unsure of the etiquette in this situation, I sent a 2nd email with my real email explaining my lapse of sanity and apologizing profusely for the extraneous email during a time when submissions were most likely high.

*facepalm*

Well, at least you're getting these mix-ups out of the way early. I still regularly sub a story but forget to actually attach the story to my email. Bad Izz!

Busy, busy, V1c :)

Here's hoping, Aggs! *thinks positive thoughts about story at SH*

Go, soapy! Do it, do it, do it. You've always got the other two to fall back on. :e2cheer:

Nice one, GCU! And that's the way to do it. Start at the top!

Nicely done also, Tienci.

And i'll do some cheering for you too, Emptyeye :e2cheer:

I've got a bit over half of issue #2 of C&C filled. It's going to be a great issue! Here are some of the writers who'll be in the TOC.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score

*facepalm*

At least emails are relatively easy. I have a story I've been trying to send out for weeks through snail mail. First I forgot to flag it as being outgoing mail. Then I got it in the box too late in the day. Then it went out and came back because it needed an extra stamp. Then it went out and came back because I added the extra postage but failed to remove the post office label that had said it needed that extra postage (apparently the mail carrier just glanced at that and didn't check the postage itself). I'll tell you, I'm gaining a new respect for email submissions.

Oh, and congratulations on your first story!