Ask Jennifer Laughran! Tireless agent-in-residence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
CJ, try reading some of these synopsis examples. I found that going over the tutorial and actual examples a few times got it to click in my head, after some critique on the first version. Have your story fresh in mind when you try to write it, and you probably want it printed out or the file open when you do to check back to it. The better you know your scenes, the easier it'll be to distill the book down into a synopsis.

Raspberry

Germlish Speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Last question from me, I promise!

I landed an agent! Yay. She's in Germany. I have the manuscript available in English, too. I know that it'snot easy to get into the English speaking market from a not-English country, mostly because of inavailibility of translated material. It's much easier to publish in USA first and then in Germany, then the other way around. I live in the US.

What would you recommend me doing? Give the agent all rights, including the English market, or should I try to sell the English version separately? Thank you.

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jennifer--

I was wondering a few questions:

I've been working on a YA novel for about a year and a half now, and now that its (finally!) finished, its time to start thinking about queries. One thing that worried me was the fact that while I bill it as YA, there is a lot of harsh language in the novel. Is there some sort of unspoken rule about how far you can go in YA, or can the language and subject matter go all the way as long as it is written for teenagers?

Also, this is just something I've wondered for a while--I know most YA books are geared towards girls, and most of the protagonists in these stories ARE girls. I like to write my main as a boy, and I wondered if this ever affects whether or not a book will get accepted.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Thanks, Jamie. I'll check out the Rice books. I just really need some pointers on attracting agents for my revised version of the book I self-published...

Hi there.

Very few agents will consider previously published books -- even if they are self-published -- unless they sold a LOT of copies. Like, hundreds of thousands would be excellent.

Even if you revise it.

I would strongly suggest that you try to lure agents with work that is original and has not been previously published.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Hi, Jennifer--

I was wondering a few questions:

I've been working on a YA novel for about a year and a half now, and now that its (finally!) finished, its time to start thinking about queries. One thing that worried me was the fact that while I bill it as YA, there is a lot of harsh language in the novel. Is there some sort of unspoken rule about how far you can go in YA, or can the language and subject matter go all the way as long as it is written for teenagers?

Also, this is just something I've wondered for a while--I know most YA books are geared towards girls, and most of the protagonists in these stories ARE girls. I like to write my main as a boy, and I wondered if this ever affects whether or not a book will get accepted.

You need to write in a way that is true to the characters. You can have cursing, sex, murder, drugs, etc etc, in the book - if it is true to the character and an authentic part of the story. NOT if it is gratuitous and you are just throwing it in there to be "edgy". Use your best judgement.

I think lots of people enjoy books from a boy's POV. They might not sell quite as well - so publishers are quite picky about them - but they do get published. Good luck!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Hello Jennifer. No question, I just noticed you here, and wanted to say thank you for taking time to do this. It's very generous considering the amount of questions.

That is all :D

Jumpy2

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jennifer,

I was wondering what the rules were for foreign writers (who write in English, of course) and want to submit to agents. Do American agencies and publishers look at their work or would they need to be eligible to get US work authorization?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There's no problem at all with non-US writers submitting to US agents. I did so, and I know several UK authors who have US agents.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I was wondering what the rules were for foreign writers (who write in English, of course) and want to submit to agents. Do American agencies and publishers look at their work or would they need to be eligible to get US work authorization?

Waylander is quite right, non-American authors get US agents all the time, there are no particular extra hoops to jump through.

The problem of course is, you have to not only write in English, but write stories that are sellable in America. Authors from some countries (like the UK and, to a lesser extent, Australia) seem to pretty easily create works that are of interest to American audiences.

It can be a bit harder for people from other European countries, Africa, South America and Asia to "break in" here -- and usually the authors who do become famous enough in their own country that we bring it here, they aren't starting from here.

But anyway -- if you are writing American style books in English, and they are terrific enough, no agent will care where you live.

Jumpy2

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Jennifer! (and waylander :))

WriterEm

Ive-gay e-may an eak-bray!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Jennifer! I hope you have time to answer a few more questions. I tried to go back through the posts to see if you've already answered, but haven't had any luck.

My questions...

1. There is a lot of conflicting opinion regarding cursing (cussing) in MG novels. In my (upper MG) novel I have a few colorful words (crap, damn, butt) but nothing too strong. I didn't put them there just to see them, the situation, to me, called for them. (I'm in the middle of writing a ghost story, so there are situations that call for some forceful, yet not too offensive, expletives.)

So my question is... will this hurt my chances of becoming published? I know some parents don't like to see words like this, but in reality kids at my character's age (13) do use 'some' colorful language. They don't use words like 'darn,' 'shoot,' or 'golly gee.' What do you suggest?

2. My upper MG novel is 60,000 words. Is this too much for an UMG novel? (It's a murder mystery/time traveling/ghost story... a LOT of information!) I'm worried that the length of my manuscript might turn some agencies off.

3. Last question... do agencies encourage or frown on having manuscripts professionally edited? (By well-respected editors.)

Thank you so much!! Your advice is greatly appreciated!!
~Em

jade

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennifer,

I'm an Australian who writes YA. My current WIP is an urban fantasy but it's set in Australia. I know you addressed a previous question about an O.S writer getting a U.S agent but I'm just wondering if you think the story being set in Australia could be a red flag in regards to getting a U.S agent/publisher. The story has a link to America but all the characters are Aussies and it takes place here.
Or is it just a case of it's good enough no one will care??

Thanks so much more your time,
Cheers,
Jade

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Hello Jennifer! I hope you have time to answer a few more questions. I tried to go back through the posts to see if you've already answered, but haven't had any luck.

My questions...

1. There is a lot of conflicting opinion regarding cursing (cussing) in MG novels. In my (upper MG) novel I have a few colorful words (crap, damn, butt) but nothing too strong. I didn't put them there just to see them, the situation, to me, called for them. (I'm in the middle of writing a ghost story, so there are situations that call for some forceful, yet not too offensive, expletives.)

So my question is... will this hurt my chances of becoming published? I know some parents don't like to see words like this, but in reality kids at my character's age (13) do use 'some' colorful language. They don't use words like 'darn,' 'shoot,' or 'golly gee.' What do you suggest?

2. My upper MG novel is 60,000 words. Is this too much for an UMG novel? (It's a murder mystery/time traveling/ghost story... a LOT of information!) I'm worried that the length of my manuscript might turn some agencies off.

3. Last question... do agencies encourage or frown on having manuscripts professionally edited? (By well-respected editors.)

1) Not only have I answered this question before on this thread, I answered it ON THIS PAGE.

2) No, that is fine.

3) Don't care.

Last edited:

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Hi Jennifer,

I'm an Australian who writes YA. My current WIP is an urban fantasy but it's set in Australia. I know you addressed a previous question about an O.S writer getting a U.S agent but I'm just wondering if you think the story being set in Australia could be a red flag in regards to getting a U.S agent/publisher. The story has a link to America but all the characters are Aussies and it takes place here.
Or is it just a case of it's good enough no one will care??

Thanks so much more your time,
Cheers,
Jade

If it is good enough nobody will care.

http://editorialanonymous.blogspot.com/2009/08/aussie-power.html

WriterEm

Ive-gay e-may an eak-bray!
Registered
Reaction score
1) Not only have I answered this question before on this thread, I answered it ON THIS PAGE.

2) No, that is fine.

3) Don't care.

Wow... I didn't mean to upset you. I was under the impression that MG novels had different standards than YA novels because of readership levels.

I've only been on Absolute Write for two days, so maybe I was just over-enthusiastic about finding someone who might be able to answer my questions. I'm sorry to bother you.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Wow... I didn't mean to upset you. I was under the impression that MG novels had different standards than YA novels because of readership levels.

I've only been on Absolute Write for two days, so maybe I was just over-enthusiastic about finding someone who might be able to answer my questions. I'm sorry to bother you.

You didn't upset me at all. (And I apologize if I scared you!)

I just think that the same holds true for YA as MG. There are MG books about death, bullying, etc etc -- If it is right for the character and authentic, and you are not doing something for "shock value", it is fine. If an agent or an editor thinks it is too much, they might ask you to tone it down -- but if you are using your own good judgement, that is the best first step.

Last edited:

JaimeyLeeScott

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Jennifer,
Thank you, again, for taking your time to answer the many questions you have been bombarded with. I've thought of a few I'd like to ask. My questions are more to gain perspective from an agent's viewpoint.

1. How often in a week's time do you come across manuscripts which have the same basic plot?
2. How do you wind down after a weeks worth of meetings, interviews, and reviewing submissions?
3. What inspired you to become an agent?
4. (The random question, LoL) Does anyone ever recognize you in your proffesional capacity while your out and about?

mgarwood

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello jennifer

I wrote a YA novel and have been trying to land an agent for some time. I had the first 1000 words reviewed by Matthew Clemens who writes many CSI books and he said at first he must have missed mine because it did not have a sea of red as they always do. They he read it, he said, I remember this one, you only need two things. First you need last names for your characters and secondly, you need to go get it published. I have now been rejected by 130 agents. Enough of them have read 1-3 chapters and passed, that I realize that something is missing. What suggestion do you have at this point.

Thanks so much
Mike

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennifer-

My question involves making an offer vs. a revise / resubmit.

Say you read a partial, loved it, and upgraded to a full. Everything was there--you loved the story, characters etc. But perhaps you felt the latter half could use more polish in terms of writing style. i.e. She left the room vs. She glanced over her shoulder before hurrying from the room. Small things like that.

Would you still make an offer, knowing the client is going to need a polish anyway? Or would you make them revise / resubmit?

Does a revise/ resubmit generally involve larger structural problems? What's the line for you?

I'm curious...

Thank you for your time!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennifer,

I'm a Canadian author, and I have a question concerning spelling. Though US English and Canadian English are pretty much almost the same, there are a few differences in spelling- for example, in Canada we have colour, but in the US you have color. I naturally write with Canadian spelling. Would most American agents think that I was making mistakes, or is it completely fine to use Canadian or British spelling?

Thank you so much for answering all the questions here- it must be tiring.

JKabol

The Kabol Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chuckpalahniuk.net
jennifer,

i think it's cool that you are here. i've only just recently membered this site and have been reading old threads and new ones for two days now. i think it is outright amazing that you were here a year ago answering questions and you were here yesterday answering questions and i dont have a question. i just wanted to let you know how appreciated you for sharing your time.

-johnathan

Angelique

A Walking Contradiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tc-anderson.livejournal.com
Hey Jennifer,

If you've run across my question before I'm sorry to ask you to answer it again. My novel is written in first person POV, but I wrote my pitch in the third person POV. I thought this was the correct way to go about things, but when I was getting it critiqued someone mentioned that it should be written in the first person POV so that the agent can get a feel for my voice and style of writing. Is that correct?

Thank you for your time, and I think it is so great that you take time out of your busy day to answer question for us newbies.

Angelique

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Hi Jennifer,

I took a look at your company web site, and I thought I might send a query to Laura Rennert (My book is for adults).

I live in Ireland. I have submitted to agents in New York before, but never to an agent in California. My feeling is that the west coast is too far away. What do you think? If I signed with an agent would I have to travel to meet them, and if so, how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.