What book should I read next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My mood: Thoughtful, creative, artistic, hungry for intellectual consumption

Selections from the Collection: Steppenwolf, The Metamorphosis, The Stranger, The Sound and The Fury, As I Lay Dying, The Bell Jar

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"They Whisper" by Robert Olen Butler

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"Whatever I want to. Gosh.

-- Napoleon Dynamite.

No bad selections on that list, although, given that two of the titles are by Faulkner, I have to ask if you've read any other William Faulkner. The two novels you list are among his more difficult, and are much better if you have the background of a half-dozen other works by him, notably: Sartoris, The Unvanquished, Light in August, The Hamlet, The Town, The Mansion.

Other suggests:

The Trial, Franz Kafka
Lord Jim, Nostromo or Victory, Joseph Conrad
The Woman in the Dunes, Kobo Abé
The Human Factor, The Ministry of Fear, Graham Greene

caw

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Selections from the Collection: Steppenwolf, The Metamorphosis, The Stranger, The Sound and The Fury, As I Lay Dying, The Bell Jar

The two selections by Faulkner are undeniably great novels, but if you haven't read Faulkner before, they are not the ones you want to start with. If that condition exists, start with Sartoris, The Unvanquished, The Wild Palms, Light in August.

I can't think of a novelist for whom the progression of work is more important to a reader.

caw

Reaction score
In the mood for a dark thriller that has substance. Books that fit the mold in my collection are First Blood, Silence of the Lambs, Apt Pupil, Roadwork, Dolores Claiborne; Secret Window, Secret Garden;

Status
Not open for further replies.