• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Malachite Quills Publishing / MQuills Publishing

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
First thing I see on the website is stuff aimed at authors.

Scroll down a little further to find they are SELLING The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on ebook - that public domain work you can get for free from, oh gosh, lots of places. Or they would be - the link to the Lulu page says the product is not available.

On their submissions page they tell you to see their advise [sic] on how to write a Q, which includes:

Once you get to the body of your query, remember to include your contact information. This generally includes your name, address, phone number, and the email address where the publisher can contact you.

This is wrong.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
They're advertising on Craigslist. Move on.

If that's not enough to put you off, queries have to be sent to a gmail account, which doesn't inspire confidence, they're running a cover competition to get free art (sure, the artist gets royalties, but how much is that going to amount to?) and there's no information on who runs the publisher, what their experience is etc etc.

So in conclusion, move on.

MM

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Oh, I had no intention of subbing to them ;)

Just saw the site and wanted to get some info here on the boards in case folks ran across the call on Craigslist. {{{point, point, point-- thus the "Oi" in my original post}}}

MM, as usual, you are a rock star!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Foinah:
Oh, I had no intention of subbing to them ;)

Apologies, it was more a "move on" to the general crowd than a "move on" to a specific Smoking Monkey Smart Arse ... :)

MM

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Any news on this press?

I've had some of their newest authors ask me to help set up book tours for them, but I can't find all those authors' books on their website. It's like some of them have gone missing or something. The covers do look rather nice, if you ask me. Maybe they hired a different cover artist or something.

Apart from that, I have no idea if they do any marketing, but the authors I've talked with do seem pleased about them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
From their website

"Too many old publishers were only interested in writers who had already crafted successful careers, while simultaneously getting mired in bureaucracy and inefficient tradition"

"Malachite Quills was created to help ... writers"

"Malachite Quills Publishing is one of the few small presses that will actively promote a writer's work"

"
We accept works in any genre."

Bingo! Do I win the frozen chicken?