Hi, I'm new.

hikarinotsubasa

Human, last I checked
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a bright center to the universe...
Hello. I'm new around here so I thought I'd make a brief introductory post.

My handle is hikarinotsubasa, internet friends usually call me Hikari. If I ever publish or self-publish anything it will likely be under a pen name. I've had some bad experiences with people trying to psychoanalyze me based on my fiction writing, and I'd prefer to keep my family and most of my RL friends out of it because of that.

What do I write? Good question... I've always been writing something. The bulk of what I have written up to now, if you count scribblings in high school notebooks and things like that, has probably been science fiction and fantasy. That's most of what I read as well.

I also read YA, suspense, and mainstream fiction... pretty much anything. I'm not really into erotica, I guess, or fiction that's obviously pushing a political or religious agenda... other than that, I'm pretty flexible.

My current project would probably actually be classified as GLBT romance... although since I'm not usually a romance reader and don't know the genre well, I'm pretty sure what it actually is is "Totally unmarketable to anyone other than me."

In other words, I write a lot of different things. I don't know that it's my goal necessarily to become a professional writer or to make any money with my work (and I hope that doesn't make me unwelcome here). If something I write turns me into an instant millionaire, I'll be thrilled! But more than anything else, I remember staying up late, hiding under the covers with a good book, laughing and crying and cheering along with the characters, and my only real goal with any of this is maybe to evoke some of those feelings in others.

I also love to read, beta read, and edit. I'm a freelance proofreader (among other things) in real life, and I'll probably start out by reading discussions and possibly commenting on the work of others before posting any writing or questions of my own.

It would also be great to make a few friends. Thanks for reading this! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Faye DC

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Hikari. I don't think you have to have professional aspirations to fit in here. Everyone had different goals. The common interest is just writing and (hopefully) a desire to improve.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Hikari welcome to the cooler. glad to have you aboard. lots o stuff to do around here so park in a chair and enjoy the ride.

Elvin-Bala

Registered
Reaction score
From one newbie to another...welcome! nice to meet you...I'll make my intro post shortly...

Isbesetonallsides

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, Hikari.

I think most unpublished writers share that attitude. It's certainly healthy and, in my opinion makes for a quality read if some talent is involved. Maybe you'll be one of the ones that gets in through the bars; maybe it'll be me. You never know what the future may bring.

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Hikari! I've been a member for a while, but fell off the edge of the earth. Everyone I've met here has been pretty nice and I am sure you will have a good time.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you have a wide variety of genres. I'm partial to science fiction and fantasy myself.