Illustrators are Fantastic!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I just had an epiphany yesterday while reading several books to my 3 1/2 year old.

Being a writer, and someone who majored in writing, I always focused on text and the message the author was trying to portray. I give major kudos to those who are amazingly gifted in their ability to present the mightiest of messages into a few words.

This being said... I feel the need to stand and applaud the sometimes overlooked talents of the illustrator! My child is now becoming socially aware enough to understand the characters and actions drawn on the page. She wonders why he or she is feeling sad, or if he/she will enjoy the action taking place.. etc. I suddenly became amazed at how the storytelling going on in the pictures reaches well beyond the text.

I know this is a writer's forum. But, I just wanted to give a big WOOHOO! to the illustrators as well. Thanks so much for bringing words to life in our children's minds.
Thank You!

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
My mother just got some award (I've stupidly forgotten what... a Horn honor? Something at the SCBWI conference? Bah, I can't remember. It was recent...) and though the award is typically just for the writing, they made a plaque for her illustrator too. They recognized how crucial her drawings were in making the book come alive. It wasn't even a picture book, either. Giant YAY for illustrators.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
yaaaa

I wish regular books had illustrations. Alas.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
I've been an illustrator as long as I've been a writer and have always been conflicted about which one is more important. I think in many cases, the younger the child the more important the pictures are. As a child grows older the text starts to take over.