The NYT's James Risen and Obama's Threat to Journalism

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Obama administration’s espionage case against alleged CIA whistleblower Jeffrey Sterling is expected to come to trial soon, six years after he was indicted. In addition to Sterling, also on trial will be a central pillar of our democratic society: press freedom.

Federal prosecutors allege that Sterling leaked classified information to New York Times reporter and author James Risen. Risen has written many exposés on national security issues. In one, published in his 2006 book “State of War,” he details a failed CIA operation to deliver faulty nuclear bomb blueprints to the government of Iran, to disrupt that country’s alleged weapons program. Federal prosecutors think Sterling leaked the details of that operation to Risen. They want Risen to divulge his source in court, which he has so far refused to do, asserting the First Amendment’s protections of the free press. James Risen has vowed to go to jail rather than “give up everything I believe in.”

http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2014/8/14/james_risen_surveillance_and_obamas_threat

Yet another assault on whistleblowers and journalists. Remember Freedom of the Press? Yeah, me too...

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The law has never recognized journalists' claims of confidentiality protection, so far as I can recall.

IMO, it's fair to criticize Obama on this, but it's not *just* Obama.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The law has never recognized journalists' claims of confidentiality protection, so far as I can recall.

IMO, it's fair to criticize Obama on this, but it's not *just* Obama.

No, it's not. It started before him and will end after end him.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Though I'd caution to consider the source, RT has an interesting discussion of some of the recent flipflops regarding a federal shield law. (40 states + DC have them in some form or another).

As one of those whole pillars of a free society thing, it's crucial that reporters be allowed to keep their sources confidential, even in matters of national security. Not on the admin's side here, even if I understand the nuances.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
No, it's not. It started before him and will end after end him.

One of The President's roles is as chief law enforcement officer for the USA. As such, he has the discretion to not enforce a law he feels is wrong.

This discretion is part of what led to the impeachment of Andrew Johnson.

That all Presidents have enforced the law is on the office *and* on each and every one of them individually.