The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the thing. W1S1 is about keeping stuff moving. But some stories just need more time. And one thing I learned last year was that some things I'd put aside because I thought they weren't salvageable actually are.

Yes, that's why I couldn't submit my first intended W1S1 story this year. I know there's something not working, and only time will give me a sense of what that is. After this weekend, I think I know, and the rewrite won't be easy. But it could do what the story needs.

I guess it depends what stage of writing you are at, but I've learned a lot in the last year, and I think I know how to attack a couple of stories that need rescuing now, as a result.

Some stories just need time to sit and stew in your subconscious for a while, too.

But the good thing about W1S1, is that you can do all that, and keep writing new stuff in the meantime. I guess the trick is not to let the stories that are waiting in the background wait there forever.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Is it odd for a publisher to contact you in regards to mentioning the rejection they gave you on the forum?

*feels like she's being stalked*

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it odd for a publisher to contact you in regards to mentioning the rejection they gave you on the forum?

*feels like she's being stalked*

Oh, that's weird.
What did they say???

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. Thanks.

How strange. I've never heard of that happening before. Just goes to show that what we say here isn't as private as we might think it is.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let us know if that works!

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
:-O
This just in!!!!

{fiction, TNY [email protected]
03.05.2012}

We're sorry to say that this manuscript is not right for us, because of its evident lack of merit. Unfortunately, we are receiving so many submissions that it is impossible for us to reply more specifically. We thank you for the chance to consider your work.
Also, you're poo-poo yourself.

The Editors

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

That's a personal :D

:roll:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
It's weird to think of editors reading forums and threads like this one since it's always stressed how little time editors have ( it's why they can't give personal feedback on each submission, it's why writers shouldn't reply to a rejection even just to say 'thank you', etc). So it seems odd for one of them to go out of their way to contact an author in such an indirect manner.

But hey, as long as the world is watching... Analog, I don't like your form letter. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I think it just sends mixed signals. Phew, glad to get that off my chest :).

OtterFactory

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the opposite works too! Let me try:

Omg you guys Asimov's is the BEST magazine in the history of all worlds everywhere. I just sent them a story called "Bubbles and Buttercup," and I really hope they accept it, because they are the best magazine ever. LOL if they read this (which I doubt cause they have to do a lot of work to run a magazine that's the shining apotheosis of magazines) I hope they know I'm not sucking up!!!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It's weird to think of editors reading forums and threads like this one since it's always stressed how little time editors have ( it's why they can't give personal feedback on each submission, it's why writers shouldn't reply to a rejection even just to say 'thank you', etc). So it seems odd for one of them to go out of their way to contact an author in such an indirect manner.
A couple people have said to me that it was most likely Google Alert that notified them about it. Which I can understand if they want to know if people are talking about them on the web. But then to take it a step further and email... *cues spooky music which sounds remarkably like Twilight Zone's theme song*

But hey, as long as the world is watching... Analog, I don't like your form letter. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I think it just sends mixed signals. Phew, glad to get that off my chest :).
Ha! Hope they hear ya out. :D

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

DSF didn't send me my story today.
I tried resubscribing, but they said I already was, and I still didn't get my story.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I subscribed about a week ago.
I got one every day last week.
Then nothing today. I checked the spam.

If I don't get one tomorrow I'll use their contact form.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
For anyone else who's subbed to Strange Horizons, how long did it take to receive your automated email?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just checked the three I've sent them.

Same day for all of them.

But I haven't subbed to them since before Christmas. Maybe they've changed.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Did you receive the auto email immediately, or did it a take a few hours? 'Cause I haven't gotten mine yet. >.<

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember.
I have a feeling it was pretty much immediately, but I could be remembering wrong.