Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it only sounds stupid and you're being prejudiced because of your computer's accent. That's a thing, you know.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Geeze. Is it empty inside this box. I think I'll just crawl under this coffee table and wait for an unsuspecting passerby so I can bite some ankles. Calf (as in part of the leg) meat is tough, but tasty.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Great until today. My boss gave me my notice. He's closing the office. I have until Oct 31st, then I can apply for unemployment. Hell of a trick or treat for me. But I'll be fine. Unemployment will be my safety net while I search for new gainful works where my evil fingers can dig into the tender flesh of humans in pain.

In other news, I'm trying to decide my WIP for Nano month. Obviously I'm going to have plenty of time to write on it.

How's things in the van?

Last edited:

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Nah. Not the med field persay. Massage. The area I live in is saturated with MT's and I don't have the money to move away. Oh well. Like I said. Unemployment will cover my bottom until I find another job.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
After 36 hours of no internet because the circus freak upstairs was gone in Methadone bliss, I'm finally back on. Go me.
I think I know your upstairs neighbor.

2-1.gif

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all, I hate to break up your fantastic methadone convo, legit, but I have a thing on my mind, and you guys seem the right ones to bring it to. I was reading a Stephen King interview (yes, I read Doctor Sleep already - can you blame me?) and someone asked him about this being a golden age of horror - what with Twilight and The Hunger Games being so popular.

Excuse me while I go throw things.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all, I hate to break up your fantastic methadone convo, legit, but I have a thing on my mind, and you guys seem the right ones to bring it to. I was reading a Stephen King interview (yes, I read Doctor Sleep already - can you blame me?) and someone asked him about this being a golden age of horror - what with Twilight and The Hunger Games being so popular.

Excuse me while I go throw things.
I read the interview. Excellent interview. But that question about this being the golden age of horror? I'll join you in the pukatorium.

I've just started Doctor Sleep (1st chapter) and as I mentioned to someone earlier, it's delicious so far.

Much more delicious than, say, meth. You might as well pound railroad spikes into your head. Then follow up with a nail setter.

Eta: I was thinking of Methamphetamine, not Methadone, of course. Methadone in a controlled program is clearly better than no treatment.

Last edited:

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
I knew there was a mutual hatred of Twilight among anyone not female and between the ages of 12 and 45, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one wallowing in gall about the darned Hunger Games franchise. I hated that series so much!!!!!!!

Yes, I read all three books and hated each one more than the last.

Thank you for restoring my faith in the intelligence of humans.

BTW: I read part of the interview too, and the thread involved in it. There's a few people trying to bash Mr. King as a woman hater just because he comments that he doesn't like the works of those two authors. LOL. I just laugh at that.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, paranormal romance =/= horror. Your monsters aren't our monsters. They aren't necessarily BAD, but definitely not in the same category. I've contributed to the thread over in the YA sub-forum already.

(Is it weird that I find Severen a thousand times hotter than Edward OR Jacob?)

In other news, I'm reading The Shining for the first time before I check out Doctor Sleep. (I know, I know--it's part of my Seen the Movie, Read the Book reading list.) I'm . . . not sure how I feel about there being a sequel. Partly because I hadn't yet figured out whether Danny lives to the end (movies change things sometimes--see also: Secret Window) so that's spoiled now. But mostly on principle. I'm over everything having a damn sequel. The first one stood fine on its own. Why would you go and change that?

/rant

But yes, I'll read it anyway.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Sequels annoy me too, especially after the fact. It's one thing to plan a sequel and write in a way that makes one possible. It's another to bank on the success of the original.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Truth - supernatural isn't automatically horror. Though, ahhg, I was so upset to find horror has been taken out of the book store - there is no horror section. And at the last conference I went to, when they broke into genre, horror simply wasn't an option. Paranormal romance and thriller both were, fantasy and sci-fi, but not horror.

If you read it, you'll see why King had to go back to the character. He tells a story about how he'd be calculating how old Danny would be - he'd just be driving down the road, and he'd wonder, how old would he be? What would he be up to? He isn't a fan of sequels, he says, and doesn't feel the need to revisit other things. Just this one.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
WHAT? Horror is gone from the bookstore? Okay, so I don't have a bookstore anymore now that Borders is gone, but . . .

No, Bri, I hadn't read Shining. Only seen the movie. I want to read it but I can't seem to find a copy in my local library. *pout*

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Borders was the last bookstore around here that had a horror section too. *sniff* B&N has them shuffled in with either SFF or general fiction. Our library doesn't have a horror section either, but they do have helpful stickers on the spines--spaceships for SFF, hearts for romance, ghosts for horror, cowboy boots for Westerns, etc. I can't remember the one for mystery/suspense. . . A magnifying glass, maybe? Or pipe like Sherlock Holmes is always smoking?

Oh, speaking of libraries, I got to meet Maggie Stiefvater last week--she came to the one where I volunteer on weekends. That was pretty cool. :) I got a book signed for my niece. She doesn't have any signed hardbacks, and she's a big reader, so I decided that needed fixing.

ETA @ Greg: Yeah, I'm wondering that too. Dark, violent dystopia, and frightening enough in places, but it's clearly SF.

Last edited:

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Greg, it's supposedly graphic, violent, and bloody. Okay, if I were in kindergarden those things would be true. As an avid reader of teen and tween fiction (I have kids) I'm disappointed. It's a blatant cut and paste from a Manga known as Battle Royal. And a bad one at that.

Forgive my grumpy here, but the plot isn't even the thing that pisses me off about the books. The author switches tenses frequently (please choose one and make up your mind.) and Katniss, the female protag, is very apathetic and unlikable. She kind of skates through the book letting circumstance dictate how she acts . . . and at the end of the final book when she finally grows a pair . . . urg. NVM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.