Facebook comment = jail time.

Wager

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wageronlit.blogspot.de
This is an insane event. The world is going downhill when things like this start happening. So much for "freedom of speech" - more like "you are free to say anything you want to in public, except for anything that sounds remotely violent or threatening, in which case you will be arrested without delay" ; if you make a joke in bad taste on a social network, some idiot will snitch on you and you'll be arrested without delay - arrest first and ask questions never. What if a gamer is talking to another gamer about a violent video game?
"Hey, are you playing GTAIII again?"
"Yeah man, just killed three streetwalkers in record time :p the cops will never find their bodies."
---> Instant arrest, apparently.

The saddest part about this, is that this event does not go both ways: as much as I would like to, I doubt I could call up the cops and tell them to arrest PewDiePie, a let's player, whose humor often involves rape and murder in some form or other. Also, what about people who actually commit crimes? People like George Zimmerman and Caysie Anthony are evidently considered to be fine, upstanding citizens.
And this is not a USA-thing. Sure, horrid events like these happen in the States, but they also happen elsewhere. There are plenty of European countries where people are wrongfully arrested on suspicion of making terroristic threats, and there are plenty of sickos who aren't arrested when they actually DO make threats towards others. Earth is upside down.

Of course, I do not find Justin's joke particularly humorous, and arguably he should have been more internet-savvy, but is that reason for him to be arrested, let alone jailed? Think of all the actual criminals the police could be arresting and jailing instead of this poor kid - criminals are currently roaming around scot-free.

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
This is so insane and inappropriate. If he wasn't a risk before - and I have no doubt he wasn't, since I've said even dumber things during game arguments in my younger years and never hurt anyone on purpose - we have a good chance he'll spend the rest of his life hating his government and feeling a very deep resentment for what was unjustly done to him.

Good job protecting people, justice system. Wohay. I'm gonna go hide under a rock now.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Wager, nice rant.
Welcome to P&CE.

Be sure to read the stickies (up top) and the Newbie Guide, please.

Oh, and this isn't a "freedom of speech" issue. He was free to say it. The government didn't censor him. But someone wants to try and hold him responsible for what they think he meant, or what someone else thought he meant. Or, maybe they are using him to protest zero tolerance policies. (Maybe not.) Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.