Satire about bullying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing my first short story for a school assignment, and I wanted to write a satire on the issue of bullying. If necessary, specifically about bullying homosexuals.

Any basic ideas on where I can go with this as a satire?

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
No offense, but it sounds like you're asking us to do your homework for you. I'm sure that if you just think about it in you mind and play around with different ideas, you'll hit upon one that you want to work on.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No one can tell you this. Sometimes you just have to sit down and start writing, and find the right slant along the way.

KBreakstone

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of great satirists take something ridiculous and present it with a straight face.

What is the stupidest, most ridiculous thing about bullying? How can you show the flaws in it through a story or essay?

Your subject reminds me, in some ways, of the ancient Greek satire "The Clouds." In it, the physical embodiments of two styles of debate have an argument over who is more gay. They conclude that the audience, in fact, is the most gay. They even point out certain members of the audience who most possess the qualities of a homosexual. It's a pretty crazy play, and it was written in 423 BC!

Edit: I just want to clarify that in "The Clouds," the term 'gay' (as translated in the copy I read) is not used as an insulting term... it is used to describe homosexuality as seen at the time (which was two adult men). I would not have written about the play if it were insulting to homosexuals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.