How does one become a moderator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

So, one other question that I haven't really seen covered (then again, there are days where I am blind as a bat): what is the difference between a Super mod and a regular mod? Does it have to do with tenure, privileges, etc?

Supermods have the ability to perform curatorial tasks in all forums. They can also ban members.

There's a lot more curating than people seem to realize in being a mod. A lot of what mods do occurs behind the scenes via Rep comments and PMs. There's not much actual glamour, just a lot of work and angst.

Appointment as a mod/super is entirely at MacAllister's discretion. (Is that the right word ? Discretion? Whimsy? Magic 8 Ball reading? Tarot spread? Augury?)

The mods are all deeply vested in the overall welfare of the community; they work together, and check with each other, and they're pretty much an incredible albeit slightly insane bunch.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I do it for the money.

I thought you did it for the tuna.

So, one other question that I haven't really seen covered (then again, there are days where I am blind as a bat): what is the difference between a Super mod and a regular mod? Does it have to do with tenure, privileges, etc?

I believe the super mods have capes, they get salve for the rawness from the jackboots and the regular mods bring them snacks in the mod room. But these are just rumors. Not things I have actually heard from human people. Or survivors. Or those who may have escaped. No. Not at all.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Sometimes I wish folks could see the real grind that takes place behind the scenes. They'd realize then just how hard mods work to keep this site humming along and enjoyable for everyone.

Over the past three years AW's taught me how to look at markets properly, helped me make decisions on which publishing company to work for, let alone try and get published with, and kicked my grammar into gear (as well as offer loads of chocolate Susie cake on the side). It's made me feel comfortable with what I write, corrupted me into others genres I didn't like (yeah -- cooking (hubby is off preying in the corner for a cleaning section off you guys too)), and given me the resources to ask for help when I need it.

That's a lot of hard work on AW's part, and I'm only one of god knows how many members. Behind the scenes? :Hug2:I've got me and other members to look at for that, hon.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find myself checking who are moderators and not of the posters in this thread. I know mods work super hard and I appreciate it. I am not around as much as I used to be but I love AW.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I have some questions too.

Ahem.

Have there ever been regrets about making someone a moderator on here?

Have there ever been a moderator who have abused their power?

That is all.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Not telling you. What happens in Vegas, etc.

-Derek

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. Besides, it wouldn't be fair to cray and alleycat if we told on them.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I think Haggis stopped paying attention to where he pees since he became a Super-Mod.

Deleted member 42

Hey, I have some questions too.

Ahem.

Have there ever been regrets about making someone a moderator on here?

I think every single mod has regretted being modded.

Even cray, alleycat and Haggis regularly try to slip the collar, and dpaterso probably thought being in The Exotic Far North made him immune from Buster's long-arm, but alas, they are all still wearing the boots and collar.

Even SaraP is sparkling less.

It's a sad sad story, the life of a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There's a lot more curating than people seem to realize in being a mod. A lot of what mods do occurs behind the scenes via Rep comments and PMs. There's not much actual glamour, just a lot of work and angst.

Do you mean you communicate via Rep points and PMs, or -- gulp -- do you read ours? Can we expect ominous reps if we are naughty?

Angst? Aw. Well, the results out here are brilliant.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean you communicate via Rep points and PMs,

of course they do.

or -- gulp -- do you read ours?

A Mod can't do that, but if you think about it... this is a piece of software, and it's on the internet, so it might be possible for the site owner or administrator to read the logs, which could conceivably contain any activity - however, if they were to do so - there would be a reason for it far, far, greater than looking for some stray pm.. so the chance of that happening is pretty darn slim. =)

Can we expect ominous reps if we are naughty?

You haven't gotten those already? ;)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Do you mean you communicate via Rep points and PMs, or -- gulp -- do you read ours?
Nope, I can't read your PMs, they're private, and a member's rep comments would only be checked if they complained to mods about receiving abuse, so regard them as private, too.

This is practically guaranteed.

-Derek

Deleted member 42

Do you mean you communicate via Rep points and PMs, or -- gulp -- do you read ours? Can we expect ominous reps if we are naughty?

I meant mods sending PMs and Rep comments to members, including other mods.

While I could possibly technically read PMs, it would be a royal PITA, and require a court order. Otherwise, it ain't happening.

Rep Comments can be read by Admins, but that too is a PITA and not done lightly. If Mac is checking Rep comments, it's because the member has asked that one be deleted, or because she's had a complaint about the kind of Rep comments being sent.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I think Haggis stopped paying attention to where he pees since he became a Super-Mod.

I've already noticed that in my rep comments.
eyeroll.gif

Haven't gotten an ominous one, yet. Did get a . . . er . . . fishy I-still-don't-know-how-to-take-that one, once.

Status
Not open for further replies.