Laptop Poltergeist

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My laptop mouse/cursor is completely spazzing... to the point where I can't even use it (I'm now on my work laptop).

I've restarted the computer. I've changed the mouse settings to slow things down, require a heavier touch or whatever, but the real problem is that it has a mind of its own. It just freaks out and starts clicking on everything and highlighting things and resizing things. I won't even be touching the freaking thing. It's completely unusable for writing (since it suddenly highlights portions I'm writing and moves them!), and also not working even for basic internet searches (since it randomly clicks links and opens pages, etc).

The laptop is only about six months old, and this only became a problem recently (and only a HUGE problem this weekend).

It's a Dell Inspiron, if that makes a difference.

What do I do? :(

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
One should say.

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the software drivers for it. Right-click on "My Computer" and find "Manage". Look for "Device Manager", and find whatever the device is called there. Double-click it and see what your options are for uninstalling, updating drivers, etc.

I know, but I'm not on a laptop and I'm tired :tongue

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dell customer service is moderately enraging, but if you purchased the protection plan, they will probably fix it for free. In the meantime, you should be able to disable the trackpad and mouse buttons, and then plug a mouse in and use that instead (I used to have an inspiron, and this is what I did when the pad/buttons started to not work.) Go to Control Panel, go to the Mouse Icon, go to the Hardware tab, and disable it there. When you plug in a new mouse, it should recognize it and work fine.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
It just freaks out and starts clicking on everything and highlighting things and resizing things. I won't even be touching the freaking thing. It's completely unusable for writing (since it suddenly highlights portions I'm writing and moves them!), and also not working even for basic internet searches (since it randomly clicks links and opens pages, etc).

If it's moving when you're not even touching the trackpad, I wonder if you might have a trojan? It sounds like somebody could be remotely controlling your computer. I'd try disconnecting from the internet and your local network and see if the problem persists.

Also, have you run your anti-virus, and is it up to date?

Cheers.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
There is a possibility you are touching the touch pad with your thumbs or the heels of your thumbs when you type. I had that problem a long while back, and it took me forever to notice it was me that was causing all the havoc.

I'm betting you won't change the way you type, so, you have two ways to fix this. Turn off the touch pad when you're typing. or install a mouse and turn the touch pad off completely.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
If it's moving when you're not even touching the trackpad, I wonder if you might have a trojan? It sounds like somebody could be remotely controlling your computer. I'd try disconnecting from the internet and your local network and see if the problem persists.

Also, have you run your anti-virus, and is it up to date?

Cheers.

This was my first thought as well, as you said it goes crazy when you are not using the computer. I agree with Georgina's advice as well.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the advice above, I'd recommend getting a cordless mouse. For me, far superior to a touchpad, and can be plugged into any USB port on any computer. I use mine on three different computers. I originally got mine two years ago when the standard mouse on my desktop went senile. The cordless one cost a little more (about $40), but has no moving parts, requires 2AA batteries that I've replaced only twice in two years now, despite many hours' everyday use, and has been utterly trouble free. Plus you can use it from across the room if you need to; no cord length limitation or tangling.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. My virus protection is up to date, but who knows? Things can sneak through. I know it's not that I'm hitting the touchpad accidentally, since I've been using that computer for months with no problems. :( I'll be dealing with Dell at some point this week. I haven't had the time or energy to deal with it yet, and have a work laptop I can use in the meantime. I may try to see if having a mouse corrects the problem, but I tend to do all my typing at home while curled up on the couch, so a mouse won't really work for me longterm.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate it!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you use a wireless optical mouse, you can use it on your couch or on your leg.