Sotomayor Confirmed as 111th USSC Justice

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
. My hope, which will probably never be realized, is that appointees to the SCOTUS will not be agenda driven, or activist jurists seeking to make policy from the bench.
That ship has long since sailed. Conservative and Liberal justices vote according to their ideology 99% of the time -- you can pretty much predict the vote ahead of time on any important issue.

And conservative judges are just as "activist" as are liberal judges. The vote their ideology every bit as much -- which is why in recent years there have been so many 5-4 decisions.

I'd love to see a court with 2 very conservative judges, 2 very liberal judges, and 5 moderates.

I think Sotomayor is going to be a disappointment for the liberals, myself -- I think she'll be pretty middle of the road. But yes, only time will tell.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to hear the definition of a moderate. . . .

There ain't none.
It all depends on what the parties on the "left" and "right" support. Moderates try to find the middle ground.

A Conservative in the USA is not the same as a Conservative in Australia, or England, or Canada. Same with Liberals

It's all relative.

But mostly, moderates are wusses.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There ain't none.
It all depends on what the parties on the "left" and "right" support. Moderates try to find the middle ground.

A Conservative in the USA is not the same as a Conservative in Australia, or England, or Canada. Same with Liberals

It's all relative.

But mostly, moderates are wusses.

Moderates are wusses? Is there something really *that* admirable about sticking to one's ideology (meaning in this case conservative or liberal, period)? I personally find a moderate approach tends to lead to less tunnel vision. No one ideology has a monopoly on what the right thing to do is, imo.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We'd expect someone like you to say that, Cranky, with your...evil mustache!

I figure I may as well be upfront about my plan to have moderates rule the world.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
What makes a woman turn neutral? Is it lust for gold? Power?

Or were you just BORN with a heart filled with neutrality!?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great day for the entitlement "Hey...I'm a minority, you owe me jobs and promotions in spite of qualifications" crowd.

Sad day for even an attempt at reasonably moderate jurisprudence.

It's an even better day for the "Hey...I'm a minority, I worked hard, paid my dues and I deserve a fair shot at jobs and promotions because I have terrific qualifications" crowd.

Even those who opposed Sotomayor could not deny her impeccable and impressive qualifications. Nobody whose opinion means a damn at least.

As Senator Graham said, "elections have consequences" and one of the consequences is a moderate-to-liberal President gets to nominate a moderate-to-liberal Associate Justice.

It's a great day because the highest court in the land looks a bit more like America. :Thumbs: