US Civics Exam

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I got 19 out of 20, only missing when the Constitution was written. 1787 or 1789? Two years apart? Seriously? I'm surprised more people didn't miss that--say about 50%. I can live with being that close...

And then another question had one of the options "Lincoln defeated the Nazis." Geez.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
14 out of 20. I'm a bad citizen, also I think my history teacher is going to hunt me down.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Lincoln was a fairly practical guy - I always took that quote more as him expressing frustration about people (or states) who couldn't be reasonable with rather than a rationale for the Civil War.

There's not doubt that all-around social attitudes towards slavery did not have the same mores we do today (at least towards the kind that occurs in daylight), but I think it's a pretty big overreach to make a claim that Lincoln didn't care about slavery one way or the other from that quote.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I swear Don. You just can't count on anything these days

George Washington never told a lie.

Lincoln freed the slaves

and Nixon opened China...

Wait. What?

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3 wrong including the year the Constitution was written.

Also that Federalist Papers author thing.

Also #20 should have been "all of these answers" and I picked "high taxes." I'm a good little CPA I am! :D

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
19/20

Madison, not Jefferson. Why must they both end in "son?" But it seems I still earned what I already have by virtue of my birth. America!

(I'm pretty sure it's "President pro tem," not "pro temp.")

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
16 out of 20. Missed the year the bill of rights was written, the number of representatives, who wrote the federalist papers, and oddly, why the US started the war with Britain. I just picked "high taxed." I didn't literally think they slept in their homes.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
16 out of 20. Missed the year the bill of rights was written, the number of representatives, who wrote the federalist papers, and oddly, why the US started the war with Britain. I just picked "high taxed." I didn't literally think they slept in their homes.
That was the reason for the Third Amendment in the Bill of Rights.
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
20/20. I'm wondering if this is a sampling of the citizenship test, thus the mix of history and patriotism.

And wondering if my pre-occupation with politics, PR and "spin" was what made me dig into the site to see where it came from and why before taking the test.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
20/20 But I was an American History major. :)

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I got 7 out of 20. *goes to stand in the corner* :(

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
[derail]

From Lincoln’s Published Response to Horace Greeley, 1862

[/derail]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Yeah, he wanted to save the Union because it was at odds because of...

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, they did, and ate their food and took their stuff, too. It really pissed everyone off.

I got 15/20 and am horrified with myself, though I mostly missed the bits I expect me to miss, all those persnickety little details like how many Reps there are, who's third in the executive chain of command (I thought it was Sec of State), and so forth. I got the Constitution and history questions right, at least. In my defense I did the test at 1:00 AM and I've been suffering insomnia for weeks, but still... bad Mura.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I missed three. Two of them I wasn't sure on and was pretty sure I was wrong, but I could have sworn next in line for the president after the vice president was in the senate, not the house. Apparently I was wrong. :tongue

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I missed three. Two of them I wasn't sure on and was pretty sure I was wrong, but I could have sworn next in line for the president after the vice president was in the senate, not the house. Apparently I was wrong. :tongue

I think you may have just flip-flopped the Speaker of the House and the President pro Tempore of the Senate, who is next after the Speaker.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I had them backwards. I thought senators got top dibs because they are specialer.