XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
We grow our own popcorn. Want some cheap entertainment? Stick popcorn in the microwave while it's still on the cob. It's a sight that defies description.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
558654_417018731658593_100000514091700_1615399_1507768141_n.jpg

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm going to post this smiley here, rather than on the Bewares thread I want to post it on.

:rolleyes

Okay, that's out of my system. Back to :popcorn:.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I made it back from the Hunger Games! I returned! Oh man, there were so many people! I got to the movie very early and couldn't take walking up among the denizens... I sat in the no-man's zone - our theatre has those impossible seats down in front of the screen, where you have to sit with your neck craned to watch - then there is one row right under the first step up. I just sat there to avoid the humans, praying no one would sit in front of me, because if they were tall, their heads would be in my way. It was a good seat, and I didn't have to crane my neck. Several other humans sat in front of me, but none in my direct line of sight, which I appreciated. I will give you my feedback in the next post, so if you don't want to read it, you don't have to.

Comparisons to book and movie: some mini-spoilers in the next post - don't read if you don't want to know.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
THAR BE SPOILERS!

thar be spoilers ahead!
DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

Now, as far as the movie went - the things I worried about happened. The book is so full of internal struggle, and they didn't really externalize them. Katniss's confusion about her feelings for Peeta - at the end of the book its obvious she was only going along with the whole love thing for the game's sake and Peeta is devastated when he realizes this. That doesn't happen at all and its not even clear if she was just in it for the games or not. The people behind me were voicing their confusion about that. The jeopardy was also toned way the heck down. In the book, Katniss suffers from horrible dehydration the first couple days. That doesn't happen. Also, Peeta's injury is healed by a salve rather than a superdose of antibiotics - you never get the sense he is near death without intervention - and Katniss's head wound (in the book she passes out from blood loss) is nothing. The scenes in the cave fall way short of the emotional intensity in the book. You hardly see anything of the capital, Katniss's "prep team" and without the prep team, the self-indulgent attitude of the people in the capital isn't explored. Also, the muttations were not like in the book. It does show behind the scenes stuff not in the book - like the game control room where they unleash the fire and the muttations, and it shows Haymitch shmoozing the sponsors, even intervening with the gamemaker Seneca Crane, suggesting he was the one who had the "two winner" idea.

I totally cried at the reaping and when Rue died.

SO, the movie was ok. Not really worth braving the denizens of the night for..... but I'm glad I'm not wanting to go and see it again, like I did with several Harry Potter and Johnny Depp movies.... the movies are freaking expensive.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Hunger Games chat

thar be spoilers ahead!
DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

I think it was one of those things where if we hadn't read the book, though, it would have blown our minds. It was still dark and engaging. We just knew what we were missing. For me, the biggest loss was the connection with the other Tributes. Even with Rue, I felt like they didn't convey that Katniss saw akin to Prim.

As for the ending, I wondered if they cut it that way in case the movie flopped. (Not that it would.) That way they can start the next one with the "OMG the feelings weren't real?"

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
That's true, and I know my opinion may change in regards to this movie.

My hatred of Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings movies was incredibly intense in the beginning, and then I just sort of laid back and let it wash over me.

I also thought Lennie Kravitz was good - even tho it makes me laugh he said he decided to have "his character" not be flamboyant. It clearly says in the book that Cinna was the only one that wasn't flamboyant. *pats Lenny Kravitz on the head*

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I remember reading that, too! However, I really liked him as Cinna. Would have loved more with that team as a whole. Katniss arrived at the Capitol a whole lot cleaner and prettier than I expected.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Curry flavored popcorn exists.

I am boggled.

Sure it exists, if you live in this house.

See what you do is you roast your own curry spices in the pan so that you can make your own curry powder and then before you clean the pan out you roast a load of bulk bought plain popcorn kernels. Thus you get curry flavoured popcorn. (And you only have to clean the pan once which was my real reason for creating it).

484 words today. :e2woo:
I'm really getting into this now.

Tomorrow I am thinking of planting carrots. For realz. It's nothing to do with writing. I also have to go and order fencing wood. Before I do this I have to get the money. I really wish I was buying £100 of books rather than £100 of fence.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Hihi everyone. I finished reading Hunger Games last night...at like 3 am when I usually go to sleep at 11. So I'm headachey and tired today, but really enjoyed the book. Kind of sad that the movie doesn't quite hold up to the book, but they never do. MrBugz is going to read the book too before we go see it.

How are you all today? :)

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought not understanding anything was fairly normal to be honest.

I don't understand anything. I just make witty remarks here and there, occasionally they actually relate. Even more rarely they are humorous.

See, now this is why I keep warning people about the stoopidz peepel. Folks just think I'm being a jerk, but, no, I am actually trying to protect them from the infectious raging fires of the Stupid. It will get you in the end. You have been warned.

Like regular, North American buttery flavor, or that sweet stuff that seems more popular in Asia?

Curry flavored popcorn exists.

I am boggled.

Now, if you want some good, and healthy popcorn, go down your big supermarket, and in the foreign foods section, buy some Japanese furukake(or hurukake). Make your popcorn then just sprinkle this on. Awesome stuff. Don't even need the butter.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Curry popcorn sounds ridiculously good.

I know you can get curry peanut butter.

Now, if you want some good, and healthy popcorn, go down your big supermarket, and in the foreign foods section, buy some Japanese furukake(or hurukake). Make your popcorn then just sprinkle this on. Awesome stuff. Don't even need the butter.

Furukake I do not know of. Will have to track it down :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you have a day as awesome as I'm guessing that nut roll was. :) (Not that I'm jealous of your cake or anything...) ;)

Ditto. Plus now I want an almond butter mocha. I will invent it and be rich.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
So, waiting to hear back from one beta. All systems go for submission from CP and other beta. You ever just get antsy? I'd rather like to jump and start without the final bit of feedback. I won't, because she's the one who will care about the romance subplot the most.

Did I mention my lack of patience? I was patient and nervous for months of writing and rewrites. Now I'm eager. *looks around* When did that happen?

PS. I can say this because Bettie isn't my beta. So, you know. Take something for your headache. ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need test subjects. Come over this weekend. :)

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
I need test subjects. Come over this weekend. :)

Just be sure to put the Arsenic away. I know they are both labeled and all, but they both start with "A" and I don't want any confusion.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
So, does anyone else read how a poster responds to crits in SYW before you decide to post? I'm really wanting to participate over there, especially since I want some feedback myself. Karma and all.

I just worry about pushing the wrong buttons and getting a:e2teeth: or worse yet, a :cry:. At least when I get a :e2teeth: from Hilz, it's usually on purpose.:poke:*

*I was the kid to get busted for sticking forks in the wall outlet, playing with matches...and gasoline, um, other stuff. You know, it's amazing I'm still alive and relatively undamaged.

ETA: Also. I'm starting to feel bad. This question may have been inappropriate for Cantina relaxation. Feel free to respond in any manner you see fit. But if you are gonna use the :flamethrower can I have a 3 second head start? I walk with a cane and I am physically incapable of running, so 3 seconds is fair right?

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
So, does anyone else read how a poster responds to crits in SYW before you decide to post? I'm really wanting to participate over there, especially since I want some feedback myself. Karma and all.

I haven't been there in awhile, but if I was going to take the time to post extensive notes on the query or excerpt, then yes, I'd take a look. It takes time to give a comprehensive crit, even on 250 words, so I'd rather invest that time in someone who might get something out of it than someone who clearly isn't interested in feedback.

It's a legit question. You say you want to participate, but that doesn't mean that all posting parties want to participate in the community. I don't think there's anything wrong with picking and choosing where to spend your time.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps. I usually look to places that have the fewest crits, I figure they might appreciate it. I know I would if no one was critting me.

I just don't want to push the wrong button. I can deal with folks being angry at me, but, I'm a wimp when it comes to hurting peoples feelings for realz.

ETA: Is this welcome back? Or, Are you having fun, yet?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:rant:

It's supposed to freeze.

I lack enough indoor window shelf space.

I now need to buy shelving.

Where was winter when I *wanted* it???

... that is all. I'm done now.

:e2yawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.