UK screenwriter - who do I register my screenplay with?

dgale1981

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

My first post on here - so hello everyone!

I live in the UK and have completed my first screenplay. I co-wrote it with my writing partner and have reworked it for the past 14 months or so. We feel it's ready to be touted to agencies, but dont know if we write to UK based ones or those in the United States.

It's an American film (set in the States) so not sure if we register it with the WGA or the UK writers guild... or indeed both. Not sure if it matters?

We'll look to register it, and then send pitch letters to some agencies home or abroad.

Anyone share any similar circumstances?

Thanks,
David

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Hi David, welcome to the boards.

This is from the www.writersguild.org.uk...

• Who can I register my script with?
  • The Guild does not believe that registering a script gives you any significant protection from copyright infringements in this country. However, if you wish to register your script both the Writers Guild of America, west and the Writers Guild of America, East offer the service for a fee.

I registered a script with the WGA once for entry into a competition because it was a requirement but I hadn't done it before or since. It really doesn't come up as an issue for agents, producers or production companies in the UK and I think the only benefit would be for your own peace of mind. Even then, in my honest opinion, the chances of someone stealing your script are astronomically small. People are just far to busy to steal work. :)

As for who to send it to, I'd start with UK agencies. One of the scripts that got me an agent was set entirely in America so it's not an issue because in these early stages, the quality of the writing far outweighs whether or not the script can sell. Its sellability is almost incidental at that first entry level - at least to an agent - unless it's a spectacular script that they have a place for and know they can sell quickly.

You'll also notice I said "one of" because after reading that script, the agent in question is almost certainly going to say, "Great script. What else have you got?" Therein may lie your problem. An agent will expect you to have one fantastic script and then severeal either equally good pieces or equally good works in progress and a handful of other ideas.

It's kind of rare for agents to take on a client with one good script. They want to be sure that you're not a one hit wonder, they want a long, lasting relationship with you as a writer. And that first script, if it hooks you an agent, will almost always be used as an introductory piece to get meetings and other assignments rather than as a piece that could sell. See, once you've proved yourself to the agent, you then have to spend the rest of your life proving yourself to everybody else in the industry. :rolleyes:

But it sounds like you really want to sell yours so you could approach UK production companies with international slates. Working Title, DNA, Fox Atomic, Intermedia, Warner Bros - most of the big studios have worldwide offices. They also have pretty strict policies about reading unsolicited work. You'd have to investigate the individual companies to ascertain that.

There's nothing to stop you approaching American companies and American agents from the UK. It takes a long time and you've got an awful lot against you but if there's a truly fantastic script somewhere in the world then it's said that someone will always find it.

Your other option is to enter it into some of the bigger competitions like the Nicholl Fellowship to see if you get placed and attract some attention. Of course, nothing less than a win will be enough to get a sale on an unknown writing partnership from the UK and even then, it's not a certainty.

Sorry to sound so negative. It's not impossible but it's going to be long and tough. I'd start by querying UK agents and production companies - don't forget that London has offices for William Morris, CAA, ICM and the new ICM, Independent Talent.

Oh, and if you do register your script, you really don't need to tell anyone about it. It takes up precious space in your query and won't really act as any kind of deterrent because I'd say 99.9 times out of 100, the agent/producer you're writing too already had absolutely no intention of stealing your work no matter how great it is.

Good luck!

Last edited:

miggymoose

Banned
Reaction score
re: registering screenplay

hi there,
regarding registering your screen play..
Its $20 dollars to register it with WGA in the States. And £20 with Raindance for non members. You have to remember that you have to pay this everytime yo want to re register ie. revised drafts. A changed draft with significant changes should be re registered.. To save all the Hassle it would be better to become a member of Raindance for an annual membership of £50 uk. You get to register your script for free also re registering is free no matter how many times.. You also get access to all legal documentation for selling your scripts.. Yes some people will say you can get all this documentation from guilds for free. At least with Raindance you are part of the massive network of indie film makers.. I paid £20 to register my screenplay with Raindance and another $20 to WGA. I wish I would have not done this and just become a member of Raindance instead as I will be doing countless re writes in the up and coming future so I will save money in the long run..
Some people say that posting it to your self is an urban myth.. Although I was talking to two legal eagles in town last night says that it DOES stand up in a court of law if sent Special Delivery. So how can this way of copywriting be an urban myth if legal eagles tell me other wise..
Better register to be safe than sorry..
Regards
Sean

Lillyth

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about in the UK, but here, sending your script to yourself does NOT hold up in court, so don't even bother...

dgale1981

Registered
Reaction score
My colleague and I took a load of agents, and production houses and split the load of writing query letters to them. Wingnut Films (peter jackson) sent a personal reply explaining PJ was busy for the next 6-7 years with projects so thanks but no thanks.....

Today we got a reply from another production house who were excited by the query letter and want a copy of the script!!! We've got that in the air mail to them asap - pretty exciting!

how do i play this? Just wait and see if they like it. if they did, would i look to try and source an agent? May be getting ahead of myself, but it's a nice feeling to have someone want to read my work!!

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
My colleague and I took a load of agents, and production houses and split the load of writing query letters to them. Wingnut Films (peter jackson) sent a personal reply explaining PJ was busy for the next 6-7 years with projects so thanks but no thanks.....

Today we got a reply from another production house who were excited by the query letter and want a copy of the script!!! We've got that in the air mail to them asap - pretty exciting!

how do i play this? Just wait and see if they like it. if they did, would i look to try and source an agent? May be getting ahead of myself, but it's a nice feeling to have someone want to read my work!!

That somebody wants to look at your script, at this stage of things, seems like the most exciting thing in the world -- and obviously, it's much better than a lot of passes.

But it's just a read and you have to temper your excitement with some reality.

Keep sending the script out. Every development company reads hundreds, some *thousands* of scripts every year. This is a numbers game. The more places you send it to, the more reads you will get. The more people read your script, the more likely it will be that you will get someone interested in buying or optioning it.

The fact that someone was interested in reading a script means less than nothing to an agent.

I had a script *optioned* by Twentieth Century Fox and I couldn't parlay that into getting an agent.

So even a firm offer on the table -- which is very far from where you are now -- doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to get representation (we had to get ourselves an entertainment attorney to negotiate the deal).

At this point, just concentrate on getting your script in front of buyers that are accessible to you.

The best time to get an agent is when the agents start coming to you.

NMS

ideaman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Registering your screenplay in the UK

Hi,
you can register with Raindance.
2 years for £20.
Free to members, £50 a year membership, unlimited re write registry.
You can post it to your self registered mail, and it does hold up in a court of law in the UK.
Thats a fact, my partner is a barrister.
Dave

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
You can post it to your self registered mail, and it does hold up in a court of law in the UK.
Thats a fact, my partner is a barrister.
Dave
I'm trying not to be impolite here ... but that is rubbish.

'Poor man's copyright' is a total myth.

To quote the UK IP office (who are experts on the subject of UK copyright) :

Note that neither registration nor sending a copy of the work to yourself show that you were the creator of the work. Keeping copies of all your drafts and any other material that shows your connection with the particular copyright material as you develop it could, however, be useful evidence if you ever have to prove that you are the author

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/copy/c-claim/c-register.htm

Mac

Last edited: