Looking for suggestions [Fun fantasy or science fiction]

Writey Mcwriterson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good and fun fantasy or sci-fi book. The last book I read was "The Mark of Athena" by Rick Riordan and I'd like to find something similar as far as the balance of serious plot and humor goes. I'm more drawn to young adult books, since they tend to be quicker paced and general lighter tones. But, I'm willing to look into most suggestions.

Writey Mcwriterson

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher? There's a lot of humor along with the action. :) Storm Front is the first.

I'd heard about it, but never got around to checking it out. Thanks for reminding me.

For fun fantasy, you might try the Myth series by Robert Asprin. I think the first one is Another Fine Myth. Peter David wrote another called Sir Apropos of Nothing.

I definitely like those titles, I'll look into those.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
In no particular order:

John Moore does some fun fantasy, mostly riffs on tropes. The Unhandsome Prince, Heroics for Beginners, and others I haven't read yet. They're not YA, but they read fast, and tend to be stand-alones.

Jim C. Hines wrote the Jig the Dragonslayer series (first book: Goblin Quest), a send-up of fantasy/RPG cliches starring a cowardly goblin runt. Very fun.

For YA, Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books (the first three, at least) are great; a boy criminal mastermind takes on the hidden Fairy nation, which uses not only magic but technology centuries ahead of our own.

Also in YA, Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books (first book: Amulet of Samarkand) are spectacular. An alt-modern word, where magicians rule the magicless masses with an iron fist... relying on enslaved spirits for their powers. Great stories, great characters, and some hilarious writing to boot, plus a pretty powerful ending to the original trilogy.

Brandon Sanderson has a YA series out, starting with Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. On the surface, it's pretty silly, but there's some deeper stuff underneath it all. Plus, it's just a kick and a half to read.

Terry Pratchett's almost always a good bet for humor wrapped around interesting stories.

Douglas Adams can be light on plot, but his writing's very fun to read.

John Scalzi's pretty good at balancing wit and story, too, as is Kage Baker.

If you haven't seen Galaxy Quest, do so. And read the book by Terry Bissom; it has scenes that were filmed and cut, that add to the whole experience. Great fun, but with a good heart.

Robert Asprin's Myth series started fun, IIRC, but the later ones kinda fell apart.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
If you like puns, Piers Anthony's Xanth books are ideal. A Spell for Chameleon is the first.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Off the top of my head, aside from the ones mentioned above:

Another Day, Another Dungeon and the sequel, One Quest, Hold the Dragons.

Split Heirs

Heroics For Beginners

If you like urban fantasy, you might enjoy Nicole Peeler's Jane True series, too.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Piers Anthony? Good lord no. I'm sure he's quite punny but his attitude to woman stinks.

Another recommendation for Pratchett. Any Pratchett.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I third Terry Pratchett. He is the king. Tom Holt is also a great funny fantasy writer, but a bit harder to get into. And Robert Rankin!

A great YA I just read is Crap Kingdom. It turned out to be pretty deep despite its silliness. And Jasper Fforde has a great YA fantasy series, starting with The Last Dragonslayer.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I fourth Pratchett. Start with Guards! Guards!

Also Diana Wynne Jones if you like YA.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Another I just spotted on my shelf is the "Adventures of a Dmon Hunting Soccar Mom" series by Julie Kenner. (Think Buffy the vampire slayer retires, runs away from California for a decade, raises a family with a guy who knows nothing about her past, only to discover that the demons have found her again). Very fun series!