• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lobster Press

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Lobster Press is currently having financial difficulty. They're in the news over unpaid royalties.

YEP. I learned this just this morning. And people on their staff disappearing. We shall see if they ever recover. PW is going to be doing an article on them.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
YEP. I learned this just this morning. And people on their staff disappearing. We shall see if they ever recover. PW is going to be doing an article on them.

What a shame. :(

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, this is sad news. I had just sent a MS to them in August. I found this thread because I had the same question rekirts had, about how long I should wait before submitting somewhere else.

So is it safe to say I can wait the minimum 3 months then send my MS somewhere else? Especially since they're in hot water... I would have been upset if I waited the entire six months and heard absolutely nothing. It's nice to at least get a rejection so you know you can move on.

Did they ask for an exclusive? If so, there should be a expiration date on the exclusive. If not an exclusive, then you can start sending it out to other publishers.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl: Lobster Press is currently having financial difficulty. They're in the news over unpaid royalties.​
KTC: YEP. I learned this just this morning. And people on their staff disappearing. We shall see if they ever recover. PW is going to be doing an article on them.​
Don't bet anything on their recovery. Publishing houses that are sliding down the slope always dig their claws in and fight like crazy to avert their fall; but if they've been having trouble for years, and in all that time haven't managed to pull themselves out of trouble, it's safe to assume they're not gonna.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Elizabeth, you can just take your manuscript and send it elsewhere (and be thankful you never got involved with them) Alison (the owner) likely didn't pack and take it with her when she closed the office last month and moved her business to her house in any case.
Aside from my not seeing royalty statements for 3 illustrated books for 2 years now (along with at least 22 other authors and illustrators) the Writers Union of Canada has taken Lobster to task over their bad contract clause. The clause states (in my own words here) that even after rights revert back to the author, due to whatever causes, the publisher still retains 50% of the rights and they and the author/illustrator enter a partnership for the life of the book. Our best case senario is the press claims bankruptcy. Your luck:)

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
the Writers Union of Canada has taken Lobster to task over their bad contract clause. The clause states (in my own words here) that even after rights revert back to the author, due to whatever causes, the publisher still retains 50% of the rights and they and the author/illustrator enter a partnership for the life of the book. Our best case senario is the press claims bankruptcy. Your luck:)
If they still claim 50% of the rights, and assert the existence of an unbreakable partnership for the life of the book, then it's not a reversion at all.

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
this is really sad. they had such good books. they sold them in stores. I think they even paid advances. I hate to see another press go under, but this is one press that should probably just disappear so their authors can move on. too bad, but better sooner than later.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Any company is only as legitimate as the people who run it. As owners change, so can the goals and motives. I think the next to last paragraph of the article really say it all:

I have learned a lot from all this. Recently I sent a proposal for my next book — a memoir of my hippie upbringing — to my agent. I will read my next book contract carefully. If a small press offers me a deal, I will call their authors for references.

Good advice for any author---aspiring or veteran.