• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Lion Intellectual Pty. Mgmt. (formerly PMA Literary & Film Management)

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Huh. Do you live in San Francisco? Think that's what it could be short for?

SF is short for San Francisco, yes. And I don't live there, but I live in Northern California (I mentioned that briefly in my email), Sacramento, which is like... two hours North of SF.

I figured it was something of an auto out-of-office reply, but my name's on it, so I'm not sure? It's weird he'd be letting people know he'll be out of the office way before the fact.

straightshooter

Registered
Reaction score
I have spent some time reviewing all the PMA posts and this is my take. I sent out a query in October 2009 - got such a quick response from Peter Miller, I thought I had once again found another scam (despite my research prior to sending). But AW thought he was sound - so I sent the requested MS. They were so nice and polite until the rejection last week. I think PMA, is about playing the odds. If you get 1000 submissions, you have a greater chance of finding the one you want. And I can't help but wonder if the 'staff member' assigned to the 2nd read was having a bad hair day. If only she had read it on a good day - or better yet, I got a different reader. It's all so subjective.

On the lighter side - I stand with some great writers in the PMA rejection line and I guess the fact that my MS passed the priliminary read is a major step forward.

Have to admit though - it did my heart good to hear that other writers were not happy about signing with him. It made the sting a less painful. Sending out queries again this week was the best therapy of all.

I will continue to write (as long as I don't have to write one of those tired... guy gets murdered and we spend the next 400 pages figuring out who killed him.) Creative !!!!!
Is the market really that tunnel visioned?
Okay I'm done.

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorsarahcass.com
Queried 5/21
Partial request today! (6/29)

Thought at first it was a rejection, the first line talks about how selective they are...then goes on to say "however". I had to laugh, because I was reading on my little phone screen and was about to close the window thinking it was a reject *G*

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Queried 5/21
Partial request today! (6/29)

Thought at first it was a rejection, the first line talks about how selective they are...then goes on to say "however". I had to laugh, because I was reading on my little phone screen and was about to close the window thinking it was a reject *G*

Same thing happened to me! :D I thought it was a rejection, almost closed the window, then caught the "...BUT..." near the end. Makes me read rejections a little more closely now! :D

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorsarahcass.com
Same thing happened to me! :D I thought it was a rejection, almost closed the window, then caught the "...BUT..." near the end. Makes me read rejections a little more closely now! :D

LOL! I know! So glad I took the moment to read beyond. When I saw the "however" I sort of stared at it for a long time wondering if I dared read beyond it...because maybe I was just hallucinating :) Definitely reading everything closer now.

Good luck on your partial! I plan on getting mine out in the mail tomorrow! (Why, oh WHY do all of my partial requests have to go out snail mail?)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
LOL! I know! So glad I took the moment to read beyond. When I saw the "however" I sort of stared at it for a long time wondering if I dared read beyond it...because maybe I was just hallucinating :) Definitely reading everything closer now.

Good luck on your partial! I plan on getting mine out in the mail tomorrow! (Why, oh WHY do all of my partial requests have to go out snail mail?)

Good luck!! :) And I know what you mean about snail mail...especially since snail mail from here has been known to take a while to get to the States. Nothing like trusting the military with my manuscripts...

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorsarahcass.com
Good luck!! :) And I know what you mean about snail mail...especially since snail mail from here has been known to take a while to get to the States. Nothing like trusting the military with my manuscripts...

LOL. Scary thing trusting military mail with something so precious! I'm crossing my fingers for you ;) Hopefully we're both back here with full requests in the near(ish) future.

1Astronaut

Registered
Reaction score
PMA Literary and Film Management

Concerning all of the other writers' replies, things were looking good with PMA Literary and Film Management, towards representing me. One day, Peter Miller called me from Florida requesting info. Peter Miller's assistant (Natalie) requested more info., too; however, the rejection did come not long after that. I don't know if they rejected to represent me because of the $85m (USD) fund for eight upcoming features is days away and they won't have much to say towards getting that, since I already did all of the searching and gathering. All I am needing is an agent to represent me since my previous agent passed away due to cancer.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
fingers and toes crossed

I sent my query package, via e-mail, to PMA on July 20th. On August 24th they asked to see the first 40 pages. Cursing that I was out of town, I dashed off an e-mail to explain the delay and mailed the requested material August 31. Got a letter back dated September 13 asking for the full manuscript. Christen Mecabe, submissions assistant, allowed me to send the requested material via e-mail, that I sent out on September 15th. Still waiting for a read confirmation that I'm not sure they'll send.

This is the FIRST time I've gotten this far. I hold my breath every time an e-mail comes in.

Wish me luck.

makbeth

Registered
Reaction score
May I ask who you queried at PMA? And what their response was? Besides please send your manuscript. I was interested in this agency and would love to hear of your experience. Thanks

iwannabepublished

Banned
Reaction score
May I ask who you queried at PMA? And what their response was? Besides please send your manuscript. I was interested in this agency and would love to hear of your experience. Thanks

As per their website, my initial e-mail was sent to [email protected]. I addressed my cover letter to Mr. Miller and included my synopsis. Here is what I received -

"Thank you for your letter regarding your book, The Alkano Letters. Because of the high volume of submissions received, PMA is quite selective about which projects we decide to review. However, in this case, we would like to take a look at this specific work. Please send a 30-40 page sample of your book to us at your earliest convenience, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope for our reply. You should also enclose a brief, one page synopsis and author biography, and a self-addressed, stamped return envelope or box for all materials that you wish to have returned. We can also reply to your sample via email. Please address the sample to the attention of Christen Mecabe. Note that postage meters are only valid on the date of issue, and be sure that all packaging materials are sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of the postal system. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to write, email or call. We look forward to reading your work."

Take another look at my first post for additional chronology.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a late-night query to PMA back in November '07. I received a response within minutes from Peter himself, telling me I shared a surname with his mother, so of course he wanted to read my book. I was then directed to his website for how to proceed.

His website mentioned something about expecting writers to follow the industry standard (?!) of exclusive submissions, or something along those lines, so I emailed him back to let him know the book was already out with other agents. He got back to me same day requesting I FedEx the ms right away, and when I returned home that evening I discovered he'd left a phone message as well.

I sent the book FedEx as requested, and some time later recieved a call from him on my cell phone. He wanted to know whether he'd emailed me. I told him he hadn't, which seemed to surprise/annoy him. So, he said he would and ended the call without saying anything about what the email would be about. What followed was a fairly long email exchange in which I had a very hard time decifering what I was being asked to do, but finally determined it was a request to revise and resubmit the first 60pp, so I just went with that. I never heard anything again. Status queried maybe a year later and was directed (and cc'd) to someone else, who responded to the cc with the information that I'd been rejected some months before.

My experience with Peter was maddening at times, but I have to say, I really sort of liked the guy. He certainly does things his own way, and I probably wouldn't have a hair left on my head if I ever worked with him, but he's kind of fun. He's definitely not a "While your work has merit, I did not connect with your story as much as I had hoped to... Subjective business, blah, blah, blah" kind of a guy. I met one of his clients at a party last year, and she seemed to genuinely adore him.

YMMV.

makbeth

Registered
Reaction score
What sorts of questions did PMA ask when they requested your full manuscript? And did you email or snail mail? Thanks

iwannabepublished

Banned
Reaction score
What sorts of questions did PMA ask when they requested your full manuscript? And did you email or snail mail? Thanks

After the same disclaimer as in their original e-mail request, the letter from PMA simply asked to see the full manuscript. Since I mailed the 40 pages requested sample, their response was via snail-mail with the SASE I enclosed. The letter did end with a line saying that if I had any questions to 'please don't hesitate to write, email, or call.' and 'We look forward to reading more of your work.' (a positive comment?)

Curiously, although I sent my synopsis in the body of my original e-mail, they asked for it again with the request for the first 40 pages and again with the full manuscript. They also asked, each time, for a brief author bio.

By the way, although the letter I was received was obviously not a form letter, it was not hand signed - I wonder why.

Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a positive response, although I have not yet even received a read confirmation for my e-mail submission. I guess, like all agents, they are buried with submissions.

makbeth

Registered
Reaction score
After the same disclaimer as in their original e-mail request, the letter from PMA simply asked to see the full manuscript. Since I mailed the 40 pages requested sample, their response was via snail-mail with the SASE I enclosed. The letter did end with a line saying that if I had any questions to 'please don't hesitate to write, email, or call.' and 'We look forward to reading more of your work.' (a positive comment?)

Curiously, although I sent my synopsis in the body of my original e-mail, they asked for it again with the request for the first 40 pages and again with the full manuscript. They also asked, each time, for a brief author bio.

By the way, although the letter I was received was obviously not a form letter, it was not hand signed - I wonder why.

Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a positive response, although I have not yet even received a read confirmation for my e-mail submission. I guess, like all agents, they are buried with submissions.
Good luck! I read your query & synopsis in another post. I would definitely be interested in reading it.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Adrienne Rosado requested a partial, synopsis and Author bio, today. She was very fast, responding to my query within a few days.

Though, I don't really have anything worth mentioning in a author bio...

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Adrienne Rosado requested a partial, synopsis and Author bio, today. She was very fast, responding to my query within a few days.

Though, I don't really have anything worth mentioning in a author bio...

Don't worry too much about the author bio. If you don't have any writing credits, just put in whatever sounds most relevant and makes you sound like an interesting person. For example:

"I speak French and some Arabic, and once spent three months traveling by camel across the Sahara. I worked my way through college as a mortician's assistant, preparing bodies for embalming. My hobbies include spelunking and breeding Japanese ornamental carp."

Note that nothing in that bio has anything to do with writing, but it makes you sound like someone with a lot of fascinating stories to tell. Almost everyone has something like this that others would find unusual and interesting. (And if not, go out and get yourself some more life experiences.)

Oh, you might also write the bio in third person instead of first.

I can't help with the synopsis. I hate writing them and I hate reading them. :tongue