The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vstrauss

Re: Wrangling with Writing

Two of the folks on the Agents panels are at least somewhat questionable--Christina Pechstein, who previously worked for a questionable agency and has been out on her own for a couple of years, but to my knowledge has yet to make a sale (she's one of those habitual conference attenders); and Lizzy Shannon of Pacific NW Literary Agency, another conference chaser who published her own novel with PA and as far as I know also has no sales.

- Victoria

sfsassenach

Re: Wait, I found it....

The Associated Press article about Publish America is coming out soon, and it will not be good for you guys. The AP is going to skewer PA like it was a suckling pig. How do I know? Simple. I asked when I was interviewed.

That sounds very questionable; i.e., the reporter telling interviewees the story's hook.

Karen Ranney

One of the conference speakers

is Tracy Bernstein. Tracy is a former editor, currently an Executive Editor at NAL, and a wonderful person. One of my favorite people in publishing, and a friend.

Karen Ranney

By the way...

does anyone understand anything HB says? I don't. I'm more than willing to assume it's me, but I truly don't think so.

DaveKuzminski

It sounds like whoever is impersonating LarryC is still doing it and is giving away information that PA staff don't need to know.

James D Macdonald

What do we know about Michele?

<BLOCKQUOTE>PublisAmerica Acquisitions Staff Expands
In order to meet the demands of 7,000 authors and hundreds of new authors each day, PublishAmerica has expanded its Acquisitions Staff.

Frederick, MD (PRWEB) April 21, 2004 -- PublishAmerica is proud to announce that its acquisitions staff has expanded. In order to meet the ever-growing demands of new authors, PublishAmerica realized the need to add new members to its team of Acquisitions Editors. With the addition of Jeni Watterson, Katherine Michaud, and Michele Omran to the staff, PublishAmerica is set to welcome more new authors on board. Executive Director Miranda Prather expressed confidence today that the new Acquisitions staff members will quickly make an impact. “We always react to the needs of our expanding team of authors and felt the additions now would benefit not only our current stable of authors, but those authors contacting us each day. We especially feel confident that Ms. Omran as our new Acquisitions Supervisor will be able to insure efficient response for our new authors.”

Most of PublishAmerica's books are written by new and previously undiscovered talent. A traditional publishing company, PublishAmerica pays advances and royalties while offering a distinct alternative to authors who would most likely be overlooked by larger, more commercial publishers simply due to their lack of experience in the industry. For more information about PublishAmerica visit: www.publishamerica.com.

</BLOCKQUOTE>

<a href="http://ww1.prweb.com/releases/2004/4/prweb119827.htm" target="_new">PRWeb, 21APR04</a>

Michele is also mentioned in this <bizarre collection <a href="http://soli.inav.net/~penfold/beth/garyemail.html" target="_new">bizarre collection</a> of correspondence. There we learn, among other things, that "PublishAmerica, for privacy reasons, does not give out its physical business address."

(I'm happy to help, though: It's 230 E. Patrick St., Frederick, MD.)

You can learn about the visual arts degrees at University of Maryland, Baltimore, <a href="http://www.umbc.edu/undergrad/majors/m_visart.html" target="_new">here</a>.

I notice that commencement 2004 at UMBC was on May 20th, and Michele was hired in mid-June. Coincidence?

Other than that, Michele has left a very small footprint on the web. Where has she been? What else has she done?

I do wonder if Ms. Omran's degree in digital art is put to good use in supervising the four or five individuals who gen up Photoshop covers for PublishAmerica's books.

From new hire to acquisitions supervisor in just six months? Good on you, Michele! What's turnover like in the PA offices?

<HR>

We have a couple of other new hires at PA announced: Jeni Watterson and Katherine Michaud. Who are they, and what have they done?

Jeni's left just as small a footprint as Michele -- mentioned a couple of places on-line (a live journal and a message board) as the person who signed a PA acceptance letter.

Here's a text of a standard PA acceptance:

<BLOCKQUOTE>Dear XXX :

As this is an important piece of email regarding your book, please read it completely from start to finish.

I am happy to inform you that PublishAmerica has decided to give "Fallen Angels" the chance it deserves. Attached you will find a sample copy of our contract for your careful review. Upon receiving your e-mail in acceptance with the terms, we will forward the final contract documents to you via regular mail for your signature. Along with your e-mail please include your legal name, current address, telephone number and title of work as you would like it to appear on the final contract. Please note that once you have requested that we send the official contract, we cannot further amend the contract.

The main terms of the contract are that we will pay you climbing royalties starting at 8%, you retain the copyright, and we will begin production on the book within 365 days of the date we receive the signed contract. A symbolic $1 advance underlines that all financial risk is carried by the Publisher, as we firmly believe it should be.

After both parties have signed the contract, you will be contacted by our production department with a list of questions and suggestions. Please feel free to e-mail any concerns or questions dealing with the terms of the contract to [email protected] Also, please visit our web site at http://www.publishamerica.com/.

Welcome to PublishAmerica, and congratulations on what promises to be an exciting time ahead.

Sincerely,

Jeni Watterson
Acquisitions Department
PublishAmerica </BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a Jennifer Watterson, a college student in California as of last spring, but she was a Medical Clinical Assistant major. Don't know when she graduated (if she has). Another Jennifer Watterson was a freshman at Purdue in 2000. That would put her graduation in spring, 2004 ... hmmm. Hard to tell. The only Jennifer Watterson I've found who has a connection with books and writing is a sales rep for Prentice Hall. She appears to still be living and working in Utah.

<HR>

Katherine Michaud, now.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Katherine Michaud is a 22 year old starving artist. She has been writing poetry since the age of 14, granted it was awful, and recently discovered a love for art and design. She graduated cum laude from Salisbury University in Maryland, May 2003 with a bachelors degree in Communication Arts (specializing in Public Relations and Journalism).

She now turns her attention to the University of Baltimore where she is a full-time graduate student studying for her masters degree in Publications Design. Every free elective she takes tends to be writing related. To pay the bills, Katherine is a full-time Assistant Acquisitions Editor at the publishing house, PublishAmerica. Not a glamorous job, it does pay the bills and the emotional satisfaction is high. She hopes to eventually change departments in the company to become either a text editor or cover designer - as these coincide more with her love for the creative.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Katherine Michaud is mentioned in a press release <a href="http://www.neuticles.com/webpages/press.html" target="_new">here</a>, where we learn that "Katherine Michaud, acquisitions editor for Publish America, said Miller's book has tremendous appeal to a wide range of readers." We learn that the author thinks "movie rights ... will also be negotiated by Publish America 90 days after the book's release which is scheduled for January, 2005," so I expect we'll soon see another unhappy author.

If you'd like to read some of Katherine's poetry, it's here and here.

But wait! What's this?

<BLOCKQUOTE>Comings and Goings at PublishAmerica
With the transfer of one acquisitions editor and unbelievable growth, PublishAmerica' acquisitions staff has once again expanded.

Frederick, MD (PRWEB) October 7, 2004 -- PublishAmerica is proud to announce new additions to its acquisitions staff. With the transfer of one Acquisitions Editor to its Editing Team and growth unseen in the rest of the industry, PublishAmerica was quick to add staff to accommodate the needs of the new authors. Miranda N. Prather stated, “We wish the best to PublishAmerica’s newest Editor, Katherine Michaud as she steps away from the acquisitions process. We are certain that Leah Baird, Nikol Destatte and Claudia Nese will provide potential PublishAmerica authors the kind of service and attentiveness that have become hallmarks of our company.”

Most of PublishAmerica's books are written by new and previously undiscovered talent. A traditional publishing company, PublishAmerica pays advances and royalties while offering a distinct alternative to authors who would most likely be overlooked by larger, more commercial publishers simply due to their lack of experience in the industry. For more information about PublishAmerica visit: www.publishamerica.com.</BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR>

So Katherine has gone off to run a spell-checker, while we have three new names in acquisitions: Leah Baird, Nikol Destatte, and Claudia Nese.

Is everyone at PA other than Willem and Larry a young female?

I don't feel much like looking those individuals up. I'm betting ... recent college graduates, no history in commercial publishing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>"...authors who would most likely be overlooked by larger, more commercial publishers simply due to their lack of experience in the industry."</BLOCKQUOTE>

Authors who wouldn't submit to PA on a dare if they had any experience in the industry, is what she means.

James D Macdonald

It sounds like whoever is impersonating LarryC is still doing it and is giving away information that PA staff don't need to know.

I think that the individual who's impersonating Larry Clopper is making stuff up; he can't know what the AP story will be (though we all have our suspicions).

It's the Mr. Book/Amazon Slammer/Guestbook Slimer thing, all over again.

<HR>

... does anyone understand anything HB says? I don't. I'm more than willing to assume it's me, but I truly don't think so.

Well, if it's you, it's me, too. I find myself constantly asking "What's he on about?"

unknownauthor

Someone is posting this very same thing on people's web sites from PA.
I really think this is another PA author who is doing the posting. Probably someone who was interviewed who asked that question because they had suspicions of their own. I have had three emails from people interviewed who
asked my opinion of the royalties question.

arainsb123

Re: *sigh* New year, same song and dance:

If you don't believe me, go to amazon.fr and look up POISON PEARLS! The price is 74.95 Euros and that converts to $101.69!!!

Post from the PA message board. Anyone know what this is all about?

unknownauthor

amazon.fr and large book price making some pa'ers think big

Quote:If you don't believe me, go to amazon.fr and look up POISON PEARLS! The price is 74.95 Euros and that converts to $101.69!!!

some of the authors think their books are a big deal because of the huge price on amazon.fr france...

Ed Williams 3

Look, I just checked the Amazon listing...

...for my first book, "Sex, Dead Dogs, and Me." There is a paperback version of the book with a sales price of $150. What does it mean? Perhaps it means that there is some bookstore owner out there who wants to hold on to his copy of SDDAM for a long time...

Ed Williams 3

I am, here's Mr. Marcus on the upcoming Associated Press....

...article:

Eric,
I talked to them and the Washington Post. I warned them that they really needed to check their sources. I gave them the information and NAMED NAMES THIS TIME!!! The bashers are about to become an endangered spiecies. I left a trail of bread crumbs to the money trail and a few people are about to be put out of business. Those people being the cheerleaders who could profit with PA's demise.

First of all, that just won't ever happen. What they claim in front of the press and what they claim on their basher websites is strangely dissimilar for some reason. I can't help but notice that the BBB and the court system blow these people off. WHY? It's simple; PA never asked them for dime one!!!

So this is their last hurrah folks. They made a nationwide press attack and all the news agencies have been alerted to the fact that they are being played for pawns. The smart ones are already going: "Oh gee whiz, let's pretend we're in high school and call the radio station to request a demo tape from the local garage band."

This latest attack is just plain pathetic and I seriously thought they couldn't be more ignored. I was wrong. They just topped themselves in pettiness and self-indulgence. Now they have nowhere to turn where they won't be snickered at. The literary world has already turned a deaf ear. Now they've earned the rather unpopular title of terrorists. Nice shot, man. How's the toe?

RaechelHendersonMoon

Re: Look, I just checked the Amazon listing...

...for my first book, "Sex, Dead Dogs, and Me." There is a paperback version of the book with a sales price of $150. What does it mean? Perhaps it means that there is some bookstore owner out there who wants to hold on to his copy of SDDAM for a long time...

Actually what it most likely means is that the bookseller is using a program to check the prices of used/new books on Amazon.com. The program then runs either the median or highest price through a multiplier to come up with some ridiculous price. Usually this is done when there are very few copies of a book available used online because a) the bookseller has no idea on how to evaluate used books and b) the bookseller figures that if there are very few copies then the price can be set anywhere. And sometimes the bookseller won't actually have the book in hand, but will just order the book from some other used bookseller should an order actually come in.

I looked up your book and found one seller charging $200 for a copy.

(FYI, I know this after working for three years in the used book business. You should have seen some of the booksellers frothing at the mouth when they would come across this type of thing.)

DaveKuzminski

Re: Don't stop or hesitate now...

So, HB left a trail of bread crumbs, huh? Like, uh, how could he afford those with his sales?

On top of that, I'd like to know who's paying me to do this so I can collect what's owed me. All the while, I thought I was paying forward. Silly me! ;)

aka eraser

Re: I am, here's Mr. Marcus on the upcoming Associated Press

If the AP article comes off as I expect - peeling the veneer of respectability from Publish America and revealing the hypocrisy, lies and venality that lies beneath - it will be interesting to see HB's mental gymnastics as he tries to put a positive spin on it for the troops.

I'm reminded of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. First one arm lopped off, then the other, followed by each leg, until he's reduced to a bloody torso, screaming impotent insults at his attacker.

astonwest

Conspiracy

"it will be interesting to see HB's mental gymnastics as he tries to put a positive spin on it for the troops."

Of course, it will all be a conspiracy...the AP is in bed with the "Big Five Publishers" (was it five? I forget)...it's always a conspiracy, just as everyone who bashes PA screwed up the best thing they could get (you know, getting in on the ground floor of the greatest publishing company ever...).

pbbbbbbttttttttt...

:hat
Big Daddy West

DaveKuzminski

Re: Conspiracy

Damn, we better get a bigger bed if it's got to hold the Big Five publishers, the Evil Eight that PA Hates, and now the AP. ;)

snarzler

If the NBC report is negative, the big four networks will be added too.

Last time I saw a bed that snug, it was holding four grandparents. Then then Joe started dancing after Charlie found the golden ticket.

Andrea :evil

Valena Graham

I agree John, I would like to know when too. I think someone will have to have a bed specially made, that can hold at least a small town. Going to need plenty of covers and pillows.

We just have to wait and see how the articles are written and who's side they believe. But at least PA can't hide anymore. They should have known sooner or later, they would get enough of their authors angry enough to fight back, and tell PAs dark secret.

My book is going to be actually published this year, and I am happy. But it doesn't change what PA did. I just hope that all that want to be published get their wish this year. Also that PA gets theirs......

An old friend with a new name......but same views.

Whachawant

New Years Resolutions??(on a lighter note)

To create and invoke a new bill, code named

S.P.A.N.K.

(The Sanctioned Publish America Notice of Knowledge)​

To protect writers against publishers who pertain to the characteristics and negative qualities mentioned herein.
...and to kick the wrong doers fannies.....

:rollin -----------
So we've been hearing writers on the P.A. board have been contacted,...has anybody formerly of P.A. been contacted for interviews. It's starting to look like a setup by P.A. themselves for extra publicity and advertising.
Speaking of advertising, I guess there was no NYT December ad on the 31st.
Although advertised on the P.A. home page....Fanstory.com seems to be keeping a low profile. Anybody know of an author from that site signing on with P.A. yet?

(p.s. What's with the publisher orgy in a crowded bed?)

Arden19

PA and Poetry

Found this on the Frederick News Post site this morning while poking around, and wanted to share:

The poet without a home
Published on Sunday, January 2

By Susan Guynn
News-Post Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff photo by Doug Koontz

Edward Starr sings a hymn at Centennial Memorial united Methodist Church as a church member stands in praise of God in the background. He is homeless but working to publish a book of poems he has written.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a long way from Iowa to Maryland; and for one man, it's been a road filled with potholes.

Homeless and unable to find a job that paid enough wages for him to be self-supporting in his hometown of Muscatine, Iowa, Edward Starr headed east, to Frederick, to follow a dream -- one he hopes will help him get his life back on track.

Pursuing a dream

Mr. Starr, 43, rode into Frederick on a Greyhound bus several weeks ago. He carried few possessions -- some personal items, a collection of poems he had written and the desire to see those poems published in a book. His nights are spent at the cold weather shelter. He regularly attends Saturday night services at Centennial Memorial United Methodist Church, where he's found renewed faith and encouragement from Pastor Mike Albro, a former director of the Frederick Rescue Mission. Days, he visits the public library where he writes more poems for his book.

The book is not just a pipe dream. It's in the pipeline with PublishAmerica, located on East Patrick Street. The poems he writes are written from his heart -- a heart that's been scarred, broken and desperate, yet remains strong and hopeful. The loneliness and sadness are personal, but not unique to Mr. Starr.

"One of the main reasons we took an interest (in his poetry) is that it's sort of specific to modern society; the experiences of pain, loneliness and isolation," said Miranda Prather, executive director of PublishAmerica. "Two of the poems, 'Lady' and 'Losing You,' show a reliance on computers for relationships and how that's not the best means of establishing relationships. It can create further isolation," she said, based on notes made by an acquistion staff person.

About 80 percent of the material submitted to PublishAmerica is rejected, according to Ms. Prather. And only a very small percentage of poems are published. She estimates Mr. Starr's book, which will include 50 to 60 of his poems, should be released as a trade paperback sometime in March or April. The working title is "Wonderman's Poetry: Poems of Pain, Maybe Hope Someday." Wonderman is his online moniker.

"There definitely is a sense of hope (in his poems)," said Ms. Prather.

A troubled childhood

His story begins in Muscatine. The only son in a family of six children, Mr. Starr says he had a good relationship with his father -- one that he believes his mother was envious of.

"My mom was jealous of our relationship," he said over breakfast at a downtown restaurant. "I was the only boy. She emotionally abused me. "She wasn't a monster," he said. "She just wasn't grown up in her mind. Maybe she didn't know how to relate to me as a boy. That didn't help me inside.

"My dad worked as many jobs as he could to take care of us. Then he came home and did housework. My mom is legally blind, so my dad pretty much took care of everything.

"Me and my dad did a lot of things together," said Mr. Starr. "He would take me 'junking.' He would buy iron, copper and brass pieces and take them to the junkyard and sell them. It was his way of making ends meet. He did what he could to bring in money. He shoveled snow, mowed grass."

He believes his mother didn't know how to relate to her son. She frequently told him to "get out." One day, at age 11, he did. He hitchhiked to Hannibal, Mo. The man who gave him a ride "was a nice man, a religious man" and gave him money to get to a boy's shelter in a nearby town.

It was the dead of winter, and before he could reach the shelter he was picked up by the police, who called his father. His dad came to take him back home.

But his relationship with his mother continued to be rocky, he said. It was affecting his schoolwork and at 17, through the encouragement of friends at the church he was attending, he left home and moved into a group home. "It hurt my dad," said Mr. Starr. "I think he felt I was kicking him in the face by doing it. But he didn't realize how bad it was for me. He didn't look at my point of view. He thought it was against him."

Mr. Starr stayed at the group home until he graduated from high school, when he moved back home. "My dad was angry with me. I wasn't able to explain it to him," said Mr. Starr.

He lived there a few more years -- until his father's death. He had throat cancer, and near the end of his life, depression gripped him, and father and son argued frequently.

"One night I told him I hated him. I didn't mean it," said Mr. Starr. "He died the next day."

He writes of the sorrow of that time in his life and the comfort of his father's love in "My Father."

"Still after all of these years

My dad died, almost twenty years ago

Still struggling to prove my worth to him ...

A daily struggle to survive in this uncaring world today

With no rewards in the very end

Just trying to make my father proud of me. ..."

"I'm still falling short," he said, "since I lost everything I had -- my job, my possessions."

No blame for choices made

Mr. Starr acknowledges he's made some bad choices in his life. He admits that he and his now ex-wife didn't know each other long or well enough before they got married. When they separated, that's when his life took a turn -- "for the worse."

"We met in October and married in December," said Mr. Starr. "It was too fast. We argued a lot, but at least my life was normal," he said reflectively.

After they separated, his paycheck was garnisheed to pay her medical bills, he said. He had to file Chapter 13, he said, and later filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. "That way I would be able to live," he said.

He later developed a relationship with a woman he met online. They communicated for six months. She lived in California and he decided to move there and start a new life. But the relationship quickly soured and he returned to Iowa. Unable to get his old job back, he had no place else to go but the homeless shelter.

"After I couldn't get my job back, I felt like the world turned on me," he said.

"(My mom) said, 'You can't stay with me,'" he said. "She wasn't being hateful. She was just being herself."

At the shelter, residents were required to take English and math classes. "The (English) teacher there said I had talent," said Mr. Starr. He compiled two booklets of his poetry. One he gave to a businessman who has employees involved in the rebuilding of Iraq. The other he gave to his best friend.

Friends encouraged him to try to publish his work. But most of the publishing companies he located on the Internet wanted money upfront, something he didn't have.

A chance meeting with a published author at the Muscatine public library, who was doing a book signing, told Mr. Starr about PublishAmerica. He contacted the publisher and sent a few samples of his poetry. They asked for more poems and, later, sent him a proposal.

"His situation was very unusual," said Ms. Prather, of PublishAmerica. "It was not a complete book of poetry when he submitted it.

"It took longer in the acquisition process. It took longer to track him down, because he was homeless. He had never received our original offer to publish his book," she said.

The dream was becoming reality

Still unable to find a job, he decided to leave Iowa. "My friends didn't want me to leave, but being there and staying unhappy doesn't do me any good," he said. "They weren't in my boots, not homeless with nothing to live on. I was only making $300 a week and no place to live."

A friend in North Carolina suggested he come there. "The cost of living was less," said Mr. Starr. But he had trouble landing a job once there. He said a degenerative spine disease, for which he's had two surgeries, has left him with a shuffling gait and, he believes, undesirable to employers.

Within a few weeks, the urge to complete his book of poems became a priority, and he bought a bus ticket to Frederick. "I did get a job (in North Carolina) ... but I felt getting this book out was more important," he said. "I might be back to square one, but that's a real dream. I just wanted to follow it through. I'm real good at procrastinating. I was trying to break through that for once."

Homelessness as teacher

He's learned a lot about himself since becoming homeless, he said. "In my life, I might have had a lot of nice stuff, but when I fell I lost it all," said Mr. Starr. "I decided I'm not going to be materialistic. If I have a cup of coffee and cigarettes and a roof over my head, I'm happy."

He's also "gotten serious with God," too. "I don't have a reason why it's happened. I was so caught up in life before, trying to make myself happy through drinking. I gave that up when I got married," he said.

"I appreciate what's around me more. The rainbow and sunsets, those are pretty. You don't have to pay for them." His poem, "Wondrous World," expresses his new appreciation:

"Now that I am homeless and all alone

I see a different side to this wondrous world of ours

That we all live then die in. ...

I find real pleasure in all of god's creations. ..."

He said he reads his Bible every day and has started attending church, "something I wanted to do when I was married, but my wife didn't (want to)," he said. "God likes us to go to church. He knows I wanted to go, but didn't. We're supposed to put him first. I wasn't putting him before my ex-wife," he said.

"He's the reason I can write poetry," said Mr. Starr. "There are people who can write it better, but God at least has given me this gift. I guess he did it for what he didn't give me."

"My Own World" speaks of the walls people put around themselves to protect them from emotional hurt. He wrote it a few years ago, after a failed relationship. "I had nothing to show for it," he said. "I felt like maybe hiding myself, putting walls around to keep from being hurt again. It's a Catch-22 really. You'll never be happy. You think people will never hurt you, but you won't be happy either. You don't have to be homeless to go through that."

Mr. Starr isn't seeking fame or fortune through his book of poetry. "It's an accomplishment most people don't do in their life. Maybe (the poems) will give some people hope that are going through the same thing," he said.

"I'm hoping to get a little money to live on. I just want to have a normal life again."

Status
Not open for further replies.