• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

Miselle

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see Musa's policies or business model as the primary issue. I see a consistent, thoughtless, recklessness in attitude and word choice here - and that seems counterproductive. The tone would turn me away, but they seem pretty comfortable with adamantly maintaining it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Half the problem is that Musa *is* new and still in a proving state, as is the e-pub industry in general. In this Wild West atmosphere, it's easy for both overly-gushing and overly-critical comments to flavor the objectivity of any argument.

Another problem are some of the newer writers who haven't been researching and learning this stupid, insane business for long. They come to the game with higher expectations and thinner skins, and experience intense feelings of personal betrayal when an editorial comment hits home.

The key here - it isn't personal, or it's rarely personal. Editors are human, and they will occasionally let fly with some comments that can really sting.
I was fortunate enough last night to meet my agent at a convention, and hear some of her 30+ years of stories about this idiotic, fascinating business. Trust me, what you might see in a rejection slip or read on Twitter is noting, compared to some of the real agent and editorial war stories.

I cut Celina some slack for revealing some of her exasperation here on AW. Her 'tone' is not one of the issues I have with Musa.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It cannot be easy for any publisher to weather the scrutiny and inquires in the Bewares Forum. A lot of the same questions get asked over and over again, which can lead to some frustration. Musa has handled themselves well here, IMO. I think Lynn said it once that no one (publishers) is exclusive from having their feet held to the fire.

tri

Zoletti

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone on this thread received a rejection on a full manuscript, and was that rejection helpful?

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Obviously Musa isn't for everyone. Just like strawberry ice cream isn't for everyone. For me, Musa enabled me to get my finished books out there, while continuing to work on further manuscripts as an in-house author. The staff is professional. I get paid for what is sold, and the information is posted on my Delphi page, so there's complete transparency. Edits on time, artwork on time, releases on time. No advances--never expected them. But every expectation I did have with Musa, has been met--or exceeded.

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
Obviously Musa isn't for everyone. Just like strawberry ice cream isn't for everyone. For me, Musa enabled me to get my finished books out there, while continuing to work on further manuscripts as an in-house author. The staff is professional. I get paid for what is sold, and the information is posted on my Delphi page, so there's complete transparency. Edits on time, artwork on time, releases on time. No advances--never expected them. But every expectation I did have with Musa, has been met--or exceeded.

Maddie, I found your experience interesting, and when I saw your lovely covers in your signature, I wanted to read about your books. It took me a lot of clicks to find the information, though.

I know this isn't Musa specific, but I often find myself intrigued by people's stories, advertised here on AbWrite with a cover art or brief synopsis in a signature, but then I'm frustrated not to find an easy link to read more or buy it. I'm not sure why people don't make use of this advertising with a link to their books; I really think it would work well!

This was the link I finally found that told about your Musa books: http://www.saraville.com/id19.html

Deleted member 42

I often find myself intrigued by people's stories, advertised here on AbWrite with a cover art or brief synopsis in a signature, but then I'm frustrated not to find an easy link to read more or buy it. I'm not sure why people don't make use of this advertising with a link to their books; I really think it would work well!

You know, this and a recent FAQ post makes me think I really need to write a signature FAQ.

I'll try to get that started in the near future.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
29 day short story sale to the Erato imprint.

The acceptance email included a heads-up note about a potential issue which will need to be addressed in editing. I appreciate being told up front about this -- I have no problem with the request, but it's still something I'd prefer to be told about before I sign the contract.

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
It looks like I will be joining the Musa family as well! Wait was a little longr than a month after the requested full, but it looks like there is a place for a pack of quirky (and sexy!) feminist werewolves with Musa's Calliope imprint! :)

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
Congrats! Sales are awesome. I just have one quirk with them. Well, not just one but...

I really don't get the Musa design on the sides of the books. To me it cheapens it. Just MHO

It's part of the branding, just like the Ellora's Cave banners, the Samhain tree, the Liquid Silver droplet, etc. Most publishers brand the books they sell in the cover art.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Yes, but the musa branding is rather large on their books. I agree with Squinkies on this one. I understand most publishers brand their books, but most publishers have smaller logos, which looks more professional, IMHO.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but the musa branding is rather large on their books. I agree with Squinkies on this one. I understand most publishers brand their books, but most publishers have smaller logos, which looks more professional, IMHO.

+1

I like how Samhain does it with the little tree in the corner of the page. It's good that I can always spot Musa books, but I agree that the branding is way too large. I think it only takes away from the covers. JMHO, of course.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
+1

I like how Samhain does it with the little tree in the corner of the page. It's good that I can always spot Musa books, but I agree that the branding is way too large. I think it only takes away from the covers. JMHO, of course.

Agree. I like it when the brand is on the spine, or by the bar code, and even then I want it small.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Thanks to both of you! I'm grinning like the Cheshire Cat right now. It's been a fantastic weekend. Contract offer, graduating law school. Two of the big things in my life have come to pass in 24 hours of each other.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's part of the branding, just like the Ellora's Cave banners, the Samhain tree, the Liquid Silver droplet, etc. Most publishers brand the books they sell in the cover art.

But it's great for promo material and signing autographs. You've got that extra bit on the side and you don't sign over the cover art, title, or author name.
I just wanted to share that I've been offered a contract on my women's fiction.
That's great! Welcome aboard!

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm all kinds of thrilled, because Musa offered a contract on my historical steampunk paranormalish fantasy with their Urania imprint... and asked about the remainder of the series.

This comes just in time - the horrors of the first trimester have passed and I can focus on work once more. ^.^